Older Version Of Train Simulator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gadolinium, Mar 20, 2020.

1. gadolinium

gadolinium New Member

Hello all,

I would like to get started with Train Simulation, and I just had a few questions about compatibility. My computer does not have the best specs, so it looks like TS2020 would not run well with my computer. However, TS2018 and earlier should run just fine according to tech-guru.io. If I bought TS2018 or an earlier version, and I buy a DLC that says 2020, will it run or do I have to have TS2020? I do apologize if this is a stupid question, but I could not find an answer anywhere.

Thanks!!

2. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

If you buy TS2018, the core program after installing through Steam will be TS2020 but you will have routes that came with the TS2018. There is no noticable performance difference between routes from TS2018 and routes from TS2020 so I would just get the TS2020.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gadolinium

gadolinium New Member

Thank you for the reply, Tomas! So just to be clear, my PC is not compatible for TS2020 according to the requirements that are listed for TS2020. But it is compatible for 2018 and earlier versions. That’s why I was a little confused with what to get...

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The required spec's for TS have changed little in the last few years largely because, with the notable exception of the 64 bit version, it hasn't had any major updates. The recommended spec's were changed, and raised considerably, a couple of years ago I think because newer routes and other DLC were starting to push the limits of what could be achieved within TS's own limits.

If you have some concerns I suggest you outline your PC's spec's here and see what advice people, who may use or have used something similar, have for you.

5. gadolinium

gadolinium New Member

Thanks, JJTimothy! My specs are: i3-6100 3.7 GHz, intel HD Graphics 530, 6 gb of RAM, Windows 10 64-bit. Hope this helps.

6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Well the recommended spec's have always included a discrete GPU which your system doesn't have (the HD Graphics 530 listed is a basic system integrated into the CPU and only really meant to run presentations and play videos) so I don't think it would ever have met even the minimum recommendations. Sorry but 'tis true. If you have a desktop system with room (and power) to install a GPU almost anything would be an improvement.

From personal experience though I can attest that TS will work on such a system. I got started with TS running (well... walking) on a laptop with similar spec's- a bit more RAM but a much slower CPU and found it quite playable. You'd need to turn down (or off) most of the graphical frills and stick to less demanding (older broadly speaking) routes. I'd not like to go back to using that laptop all the time but when the choice was that or nothing it was very welcome.

7. gadolinium

gadolinium New Member

I see. I have been playing FSX on this for a couple of years without any issue. I’ll see what I can do to upgrade, I suppose. Thanks for your help!