Cn's Unique Gmd-1

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BLRy, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Greetings,
    As far as the new CN Oakville Sub goes, a great opportunity exists here for something really unique and certainly interesting for those of us of the North American in particular Canadian interest in these sims.
    I would like to propose that the uniquely Canadian GMDD built GMD-1 locomotive be considered for replication as an add-on for this route and any others that may be created for CN.

A little background for those unfamiliar...

*Copied from Wikipedia*
    "The GMD GMD1 is a diesel locomotive originally produced by General Motors Diesel (GMD), the Canadian subsidiary of General Motors Electro-Motive Division, between August 1958 and April 1960. This road switcher locomotive is powered by a 12-cylinder EMD 567C diesel engine, capable of producing 1,200 horsepower (890 kW). The GMD1 was built on either Flexicoil A1A-A1A (for light-rail prairie branchlines) or Flexicoil B-B trucks. 101 examples of this locomotive were built for Canadian railways. 96 went to Canadian National Railway and the remaining 5 went to Northern Alberta Railways (which later became part of CN's fleet when they acquired majority interest in NAR).

According to original blueprints of the locomotive from GMD, CN's own equipment diagram books, and the original GMD manual for this locomotive, it is consistently referred to as a GMD-1 rather than a GMD1. "GMD1" has been a common misnomer since the 1970s.

As of January 2020, CN still operates a few GMD1 locomotives, though most of them are either in storage or retired. Oregon Pacific Railroad, a short-line railroad based in Portland, Oregon, has operated an ex-CN GMD1 (1413) as its primary motive power since 2009."

Link with photos here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMD_GMD1 and here;
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:GMD_GMD1_locomotives_of_the_Canadian_National_Railway

Further to this proposal I would propose it be available in the different 3 black/white CN paint schemes as they did co-exist for many decades together in all forms of the famous liveries. These units were most common out west on the prairies but could also be found in later years all over Canada. The most interesting of them being the Northern Alberta Railways (NAR) 6 axle versions that ran short hood front vs CN's long hood front.

In fact, if adding routes to CN perhaps a western Canada route extension could be incorporated with an NAR optional route add-on that could utilise these NAR GMD-1s in their attractive blue/grey/yellow paint, or if not, a "patched" NAR unit with CN numbers as was the case in the years following the NARs absorption into CN. The NAR was a very unique and interesting rail line that operated a lot of different and cool equipment. A short line amongst giants, it has a proud and long history until the merger in the 80s.

Dunc

• Like Like x 3
  2. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (There is a button on the forum to include pictures ;))

It would be awesome to have this train on the Oakville Sub.! It is a pretty monotone route right now with two kinda the same trains (don't hate on me, I just find them kinda the same). So this would break that atmosphere and make it more diverse :D.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think these units would be a very cool addition to the TSW offerings.

*Yes, I saw the images button but I don't host images anywhere so did not load a pic*

• Like Like x 1