PlayStation We Don't Need A German Diesel Shunter Or Steam Locos...

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Paulo_1997, Mar 20, 2020.

?
  1. Of course!

2. NO!

3. Maybe/at least one diesel loco

4. Maybe/at least one steam loco

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

Hello there,

if you read the title, you already know what this thread is about. But I wanted to know, if I'm the only one who don't need the two sorts of trains mentioned above... Because for me TSW is a game for new trains or at least electrical trains ('cause the BR 425 is at least 20 years old, not to mention the BR 143 ^^) But I would rather see an IC or an ICE than waste my time with waiting on the release of a crappy diesel loco. So lets start the discussion under the hashtag #changemymind

(And I discovered the poll function, so you can also vote :D)

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

If a diesel loco opens up the ability to use a lot more of the existing German maps with all the otherwise unused yards and industries, then it's definitely worth adding one. I'm a bit dubious about some of the add-ons which only hand a tiny handful of switching services, but if the new DLC is useable on all of the German routes (at least RSN, MSB, RRO and HRR) then I'd probably buy it.

...As long as it's been properly tested on PS4 ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

A shunter, or modified European 66.
    A steam loco dlc for WSR to test the water and calm DTG fears around users being put off by complexity, with also a railtour to Saltburn on the Tees Valley.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I'm thinking this poll is not gonna work out as you hoped :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paulo_1997

Paulo_1997 Active Member

Well, at least I know that it makes no sense to argue on that because I'm standing alone with this opinion :D

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

TSW is for everyone who likes trains. Trains come in all varieties, as do people. Some people find driving slowly with manual controls and seeing the scenery far more rewarding than typing a number in and having the train drive at that speed which is so fast you can’t see the scenery. Some people find the sounds of steam and diesel far more rewarding than the unchanging hum of an electric train. Some people want the experience of driving the trains they dreamed of driving when they were children. Some people were children a long long time ago.

Some people even want a channel tunnel route, which would mainly be in a tube with unchanging scenery whizzing past at blurry speed with no change in sound for ages and ages. Some people even want a fishing simulator. I don’t personally understand those people.

But TSW is for everyone who likes trains (and DTG also do fishing simulators).

• Like Like x 7
  7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I imagine the Eurostar route would have some nice scenery either end of the tunnel, but knowing DTG, we'd just get the 20 minutes of tunnel section, with a constant light at the end and relentless sections popping-in as you move towards it! Time to get a coffee before the one stop...

• Like Like x 3
  8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I would beg to differ it seems to working just the way that Paulo_1997 has wanted it to.

9. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Take a look on my avatar- it shows the BR-103, a historic "ICE". This would be a wonderfull DLC for any german route! :love:
    Its electric but with a lot of steam! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I'm personally not hot on steam loco's coming to the game. Just because they can be pretty complicated to operate correctly. If they do add steam, I hope there will be a 'simple controls' setting of some sort.
    I do hope we get a germen diesel shunter or loco though. Would be fun to explore the non electrified part of the MSB

11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Would that not add to replay ability? The rewarding feeling of learning and operating a complex machine?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

If there are very good tutorials including video tutorials, yes. As it is, a lot of people struggle to operate simpler locomotives and units so have no chance of operating a steam train properly. Stopping smoothly and precisely is difficult with modern trains let alone old locomotives and steam trains and I certainly don’t like blindly operating a train with no real understanding of it as I try to make it realistic as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Exactly! The class 101 DMU is the most challenging train to drive and for that very reason it's the one I enjoy the most. I can't wait to have a go on a steam locomotive and I know what's involved, I've built and driven steam locomotives up to 7 1\4" gauge. Many will find it difficult, those who persevere will find it rewarding I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I would say all all of the mentioned types of locos would be an worthy addition!

As stujoy mentioned before there's a huge variety of train fans in the world, each with his/her own preferences. The possibility of driving a steam locomotive surely would attract lots of players. Yet I do think it is far more difficult to implement them to the game since the other locos have a fantastic level of detail. Achieving this level on steam locos could definitely require a lot of time.

I believe having read some posts about a 294 maybe half a year ago. Rumor had it the model was nearly completed but there are some issues in sound recording (no access to a real 294 available).
    Yet it would be a fantastic addition because it could be used in any of the german routes currently available. I do suspect unser the current circumstances it won't be able to get access to one in the next couple of months.
    An IC and especially ICE model would increase TSWs sales in germany by about 200% though. An ICE surely would be more attractive and an IC could be used in every route but RT.
    Although a special ICE route would be fun the upcoming HRR would be suitable as well... so I really hope that there are plans of a nearby release on one of these.
    Not only because I would love to drive them in TSW, no matter of the short routes, but it would also guarantee good money to DTG which could be needed heavily in the upcoming months.

15. Gronk Honker

Gronk Honker Active Member

I’m all in favour of a diesel shunter for German lines, maybe the DB Class V 60, but I’m also going to be controversial and say hello to Railpool TRAXX Last Mile Diesel, er hem.

16. schram.bryan

schram.bryan Member

I say bring in old school diesel and steam trains. Either all is included or nothing. You can’t really have railroading without the history of how it began.

17. Railmaster

The V60 was / is one of the most important German shunters and is also used for short trains. Currently the DB-BR 218 would still be historical and the V200. So there is still a need here ... ;)

18. Railmaster

On the other hand, the WSR line would be ideal for a steam locomotive! On the one hand, it is still driven there today and is quite suitable as a slow route. She also has a turntable in Minehead and a triangle behind Bishops Lydeard. Finally, steam locomotives should be able to turn at their final stops. Accept bets that there will be the first steam locomotive ...

19. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

good luck getting an ice with 20 miles of track