Northern Ireland - Londonderry To Coleraine

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AviaStan, Mar 23, 2020.

1. AviaStan

AviaStan New Member

I've been thinking of a route for TSW:
    This isn't just about the Londonderry to Coleraine route, I would just like to see any NI route, but the Londonderry - Coleraine is around the typical TSW route size (27 Miles) and is the most scenic, some reviews online quote it as "one of the most beautiful rail journeys in the world" (Going off reviews here). It travels along the coast and at some points, the rails are on a narrow point between a cliff and beach. After you will enter the small seaside town of Castlerock, with large national trust properties and a large golf course. For the last part of the journey, the route will run along the River Bann and make its final stop in Coleraine. This is rated the #1 railway route in Ireland.
    [​IMG]
    On the route NI Railways operate a fleet of 23 class 3000s and 20 class 4000s, both are similar and looks but the class 4000s are more modern (built from 2010 - 2012) compared to the slightly older class 3000s (built from 2003 - 2005). There are also 3 class 111s operating for "industrial purposes although most pictures only show them laying track ballast. Along with there is 1 MPV for sandite duties (most likely won't be included due to low numbers).
    Below is a route map.
    [​IMG]
    Below are some pictures of the class 3000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below are some pictures of the class 4000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a class 111
    [​IMG]
    I won't show the MPV since there's a good chance it wouldn't be added, search NI Railways MPV.

To sum it up, I just want a Northern Irish route added to TSW since it's not often Northern Ireland is included in much. I also think the route's scenery would be amazing in TSW and provide an entertaining journey. :)

Hopefully, I can see this in TSW, it would be a dream.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Trim

Trim Active Member

It is very pretty, I agree, but being single track with just a passing loop at Ballarena (or Castlerock before 2016) does considerably limit the operating potential, and there's no freight, I think.

3. AviaStan

AviaStan New Member

I agree ^ it could be quite a challenge. Although that could be the theme of the route like a sort of challenge route, trying to navigate around AI trains, trying to minimize delays & make up for lost time.
    Unless dovetail could put in a second "fictional" rail that could be integrated into the line somehow while still looking realistic.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  4. TrainspotterFromTauranga

TrainspotterFromTauranga Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Northern Ireland in TSW. If DTG just made one NIR line, I would love to get Belfast Great Victoria Street to Londonderry plus the Portrush Branch. As for included rolling stock, probably the old 450 class alongside the newer 3000 and 4000 classes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  5. Casey G

Casey G New Member

Replying to boost one of my old posts

6. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Quite a short route I would extend it all the Way to Victoria Street instead or Maybe Lanyon Place