East Coastway, Platforms Too Short?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by msey0002, Jan 28, 2020.

1. msey0002

msey0002 New Member

I want to ask if the platforms on Eastcoastway are too short? It seems to me that almost every station can't take an 8-car train, with the final car always not reaching the platform. Does anyone have this issue, or is this actually prototypical to real life? In this case, what is the normal mode of operation? It's so weird to have open doors where there is no platform.

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

It's a thing. See this thread.

3. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

In real life, there is something called Selective Door Opening (SDO)- you will notice that there are 3 door release buttons instead of 2 on the class 377 because it allows for SDO. SDO means only certain doors/coaches will have the doors released whilst the others will remain locked usually because they are not accommodated on the platform. I am not familiar with Class 377s but here are 2 examples, one being manual SDO and the other being automatic SDO.

1. SDO switch (manual): Driver/ guard has a switch either in the cab or on the guards panel which they can choose which coaches will have their doors released. For example on Mark 3 coaches (HSTs) that GWR used, they had SDO on the Central Door Locking (CDL) panels so the guard could turn the key into the following as appropriate:
    1. ALL DOORS
    2. DOORS AHEAD
    3. DOORS BEHIND
    e.g. At Slough with an 8 coach HST, only 7 coaches fit so the guard would go to the 7th coach from front and selected “DOORS AHEAD.”

2. There is also something called ASDO which is automatic selective door opening. The train goes over a balise on the track before entering the station which automatically locks out the last 2 coaches, for example. The driver can check this before releasing the doors by looking on the TMS and ensuring the appropriate number of coaches that need to be locked out are black in colour. An example are the class 390s on the WCML. If the ASDO doesn’t work as indicated by TMS, the driver will need to operate the ‘lock rear 3 vehicles’ switch in the cab.

Here is a video about ASDO on the class 450s on YouTube:

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. msey0002

msey0002 New Member

Thanks Olaf the Snowman . I wonder how hard that would be to implement in TSW? Because currently it just looks ridiculous

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

It was mentioned in a Stream, possibly the East Coastway one and they said that they're looking into it.

6. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I'm sure DTG would love to implement it at some point however being realistic don't expect it anytime soon.

7. mxdrozdow

mxdrozdow New Member

Manual SDO was leaked by Dovetail on their own website. It's shown at on-board computer screen of Class 377 in the preview image of East Coastway line DLC. Why is it shown in the preview image, and not available in the game?.. Maybe they're still working on it...

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. pendolino18

pendolino18 Active Member

You can use SDO of sort it TSW NOW! If you are driving an eight car 377 upon arrival into a station where the complete train does not fit instead of pressing the 'all door release' button, press the one next to it which reads 'door release'. Once pressed this will open the doors on the FRONT UNIT ONLY. This means that only the doors on the front 4 cars will open.
    It is not exactly like real world practice but will do until something better comes along.
    This is what I do whenever I pull into a platform to short for the whole train.