Route Proposal: Soledad Canyon ( Los Angeles - Mojave )

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Blacknred81, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So this is kind of a short proposal, but I think the route between Mojave and Los Angeles thru Soledad Canyon could be a good route. The route itslef only sits at around 105 miles, and was Southern Pacific main connection to the LA region from the Central Valley before the Palmdale Cutoff and the West Colton Yard was built.

If this route were to be made, it could be set in 2 eras. The 50's and 60's, or the modern era.

The 50's and 60's would focus primarily on Southern Pacific's San Joaquin Daylights and Owl trains. These had stops in Mojave, Landcaster, Saugus, Glendale, and LAUPT. The route would also feature the large Taylor yard as well, which is located just outside of LA Union Station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Primary Steam Locomotive power for these passenger trains would be SP's P10's (Regular or Streamlined) and GS Class locomotives, diesel power for the later years could be F-Units, Alco PA's and SDP45's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some other diesels that could be added for freight use could be EMD's GP9's, SD7s,SD9's, FM H-24-66, or ALCO's RS-11, RSD12, RSD15, GP30's and SD35 for later years. Could also throw in SP's other steam locos as well (Maybe an updated Cab Foward).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passenger cars could either be the Daylight cars for the 50's or the Red and Sliver cars for the 60's.

The Modern Era would focus on Metrolink and the Union Pacific. Metrolink's Antelope Valley Line runs between Landcaster and LAUS, with 18 trains daily during the week and 12 during the weekends. The Antelope Valley Line has stops at the following locations
    -Lancaster
    -Palmdale
    -Vincent Grade/Action
    -Via Princessa
    -Santa larita
    -Newhall
    -Sylmar/San Fernando
    -Sun Valley
    -Burbank Airport
    -Downtown Burbank
    -Glendale
    -Los Angeles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Union Pacific still carries freight traffic over the old SP line, with Intermodal traffic being the majority of traffic over the line. UP maintains an intermodal yard in LA designated LATC, a small yard south of LATC next to the LA River, and another yard designated UPLA next to BNSF's Hobart Yard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metrolink's Equipment would be the newer EMD F125's, Hyundai Rotem Coaches and Cab Cars, and the older Bombardier Bi-Levels and F59PH/PHI (Though all unbranded due to licencing like the other Metrolink DLC we have)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    UP would be typical modern day power.(AC44,Dash9,ES44,ET44,SD70M,SD70ACe/AH,SD70ACEt4,SD40-2,GP15-1,GP38-2,GP40-2,Genset,etc.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 10
  2. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

We have only scratched the surface of what is possible in Southern California for TS, so anything down there would be excellent. I previously suggested the Yuma Sub between Colton and Yuma, but this sounds even better!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

California itself is such a goldmine for good routes. Its a shame so little has been done so far...

• Like Like x 3
  4. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Love the idea! I've been really craving another Southern California route recently. To add to the possible motive power for steam, MT-4 class 4-8-2's were also commonly used on this route in heading up both freight trains, and the San Joaquin Daylight, with a few being painted in Daylight colors.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I really want this route and the Yuma-Colton sub. I already have Cajon Pass. These two routes would be perfect extensions for Cajon. Could we get vintage locos, too?
    I want SP Black Widow and Daylight diesels. I'd suggest an SP F7 in both freight and passenger liveries, a Daylight-liveried Alco PA, an RSD-15, a GP7/9, an SD7/9, and/or a GS-4 or Cab Forward if we get steam locos.
    Possible ATSF locos include their famous 4-8-4s (ATSF #3751 maybe), an RSD-15 (both ATSF and SP had them), a GP7/9, an SD24, a GP20, and ATSF Warbonnet and Catwhisker F7s.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ftw007mc

ftw007mc New Member

Would love this, especially if it included the SDP45, and SP spec SD9/SD9E with SP lighting, a proper daylight consist, and some of SP's other weird power that seemed to gravitate towards this area. Also could get halloween painted SP stuff depending on the era.

• Like Like x 1