PC Curious... Tsw On Apple?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by BLRy, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I just got into TSW as of Feb this year but was talking to my dad about it (he is 78) as an option to model railroading. His eyes are no good for the small items of modelling anymore but he misses it (we used to do it together) and he was asking me if this sim would be a good alternative. I said "absolutely!" but then wondered if there is an Apple platform or not as he operates an Apple lap top of some kind.

So, is there an Apple platform or will the PC platform work for him?

He'd really like to get back to running trains ;-)

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Short answer is no. If you were desperate, you could probably install Windows on it with dual boot, but I'm a MacBook Pro user and I wouldn't ever consider putting Windows on mine! Performance would also depend on the model and if it's not a recent Pro, it might struggle.

Path of least resistance to entry is to get him a PS4! ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

In that case, yes your advice is correct, I may have to do so. Yet I was trying to avoid the expenditure of hundreds of dollars and the learning curve. He's never "gamed".

4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Trainz has native MacOS support and is much closer to model railroading than TSW. I would check that out. T:ANE keys can be found for less than $1 USD on some key sites and I can confirm that they work.

5. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Be careful with purchasing from a cheap game key retailer. Often times those keys were purchased with stolen credit card information and there is NO guarantee they will work. Those purchases are often charged back by the credit card company, hurting the developer of the game by making them pay hefty fees. IMO, it's better to buy the games legitimately.

Best of luck to you with this OP. My parents were planning to come visit in June (hopefully that happens with everything going on) and I think my 70 year old Dad would get a real kick out of this. He and I also did model railroading when I was a kid and I have fond memories .. it would be great to show him something he's never seen before.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Thanks PlatChap. I sent him the YouTube videos and a few of my own and he sounds very interested. As was suggested earlier, I may have to get him a PS4 or something. I just know he'd enjoy this.

7. Daafies

Daafies New Member

If he wants a model train sim, then check out EEP on steam. Doubt there’s a macos version tho

8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

If you want to get into Trainz instead (I know it sounds like I'm plugging but it really is the best sim with native Mac support), I've just received a couple coupon codes from N3V for the Trainz store, one for 50% off any purchase (including the base game) and a further $10 off any purchase of $19 or more. If you would like I can message you the codes. For example, the net cost of Trainz 2019 Platinum Edition would be $25 USD.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I think he is wanting the realism of the operations in TSW. That's what I showed him. But I don't know, I'll look for some Trainz video and send that to him also for review. Thanks for the offer. I'll keep you posted.