Issues Trying To Get A Service To Overtake Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by YackSchmitt, Mar 27, 2020.

1. YackSchmitt

YackSchmitt Member

I am trying to create a scenario using the real timetable on the York - Peterborough route.

I am driving 1N83 Kings Cross to York service, this is overtaken at Doncaster by 1N92 Kings Cross to Sunderland.

I can't get 1N92 to overtake at Doncaster, instead it's overtaking at Retford, no matter what I try it's either overtaking at Retford or the scenario fails as 1N92 can't reach it's destination.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Time 1N92 to start somewhere off route as you do not see the train until it overtakes you.
    Either the Doncaster Royal Mail platform or the Down Sheffield might work

Peter

3. YackSchmitt

YackSchmitt Member

Tried pathing it from Peterborough portal sidings originally and it overtook at Retford (this threw my timings out and I couldn't arrive in York on time). I moved it to the Lincoln junction just south of Doncaster and it wouldn't do it from there.

My train is pathed as Express Passenger, I've got 1N92 as international passenger to give it a higher priority and it's just not happening unfortunately.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The only way I have ever got this to work is to set the stop as a TIMED stop (so check the box next to the alarm clock) and make the stop long timed enough for the other unit to do what it needs to do. Without this timing implemented the stop is only timed at about 20 seconds, which isn't enough time for the other service to overtake

5. YackSchmitt

YackSchmitt Member

I've pathed it using the real timetable, the stop is good for 4 minutes with 1N93 overtaking in about the third minute.
    I actually think it's a signalling issue with the route as 1N93 doesn't pull up to the signal on the fast line but rather the signal behind that gives you the road into Doncaster. I think the best way to overcome this will be to path onto Platform 8 rather than Platform 4 but I haven't managed to test this theory yet.

6. ARuscoe

Unless you say that the stop is timed the scheduler may not stick to that... It's funny sometimes (a lot of the time)

7. YackSchmitt

YackSchmitt Member

The clock has been ticked, it's timed stop with a set departure time, it's from 2 past the hour until 6 past the hour and 1N93 should be going through about 5 past the hour. I think it's just a signalling issue.

8. ARuscoe

OK, had a knock about on this in the editor this morning and got it working I think...
    I've taken the pathing from https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/DON/2020-04-01/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
    On this day 1N92 is ages behind 1N83 so I've massaged the times, but kept the pathing
    [​IMG]
    As you can see 1N92 overtakes the "at platform" 1N83 whilst it's stopped at Doncaster platform 4
    The caveats are that you have to send 1N83 via the slow lines on the approach into Doncaster (which RTT says happens in real life) and force 1N92 onto the fast through lines through Doncaster

Also make sure all passing "vias" are at speed rather than set at 0 or 1mph as the AI automatically matches the set speed or speed limit whichever is LOWER

• Like Like x 1