Flashlight For Ground Work

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BLRy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Ok so I was doing a service that was during the night recently and was having some switch and coupling issues that required me to leave the cab and walk around to resolve the issue(s). It was so dark that things were near impossible to see and find the hands on items to deal with. It was at this moment I thought that a FLASHLIGHT would be real nice to have. Maybe a Flashlight button should be available for performing out of train operations in the dark?

After all, any good Brakeman/Conductor would have a railway lantern anyway during these times. So why not have one available in the game?

Yes or no?

EDIT: Sorry I guess I should have said I was on xBox 1.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

try pressing L, that should help

• Like Like x 2
  3. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

There already is a flashlight in game, but I think it could be brighter. Maybe it just needs new batteries.;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I'm on xBox1 I have no L. ;-)

5. Trim

Trim Active Member

Oh!

Do you have anything for turning the cab light on? It should be the same.

6. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

On the PS4 the torch is right on the D pad.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I've only ever used the button at the light in the cab. No idea of anything else.

8. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Spot on. Touch right on the D pad on Xbox 1 controller and a flash light will come on. It will work as long as you’re not sitting down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Found it!!!! Thanks guys, the D pad was the answer while standing.

10. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I've been under the impression that pressing L while walking or running turned on a light mounted on the avatar's hard hat -- where did I get that idea? Perhaps from the fact that the light beam does not swing or jiggle as I move and when I use it while coupling or uncoupling it seems to originate from my avatar's unseen head rather than from where a hand-held flashlight would originate. In any case, I just checked the "Default English Keyboard & Other Controls" page from a few routes. The Peninsula Corridor manual calls it a flashlight, but in the Great Western manual it's referred to as a "headlamp/torch" and that descriptor also appears in the TSW & CSX, while The Rhine-Ruhr Osten refers to it as "Torch (When Walking)", in Rapid Transit, New York, West Sommerset, Ruhr Sieg and Main-Spessart it's a "headlamp/torch", but it's a "Flashlight" in Trans Pennine, Tees Valley, BR Heavy Haul, Easy Coastway, and CN_Oakville Subdivision. Of course, Brits use torches and Yanks use flashlights, Germans Taschenlampe; which it may be called in German-language TSW manuals. Perhaps DTG manual writers toss a coin?

Evidently, I have too much time on my hands.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

If on Xbox press left on the D-pad for a flashlight if on PC the shortcut is L

• Like Like x 1