Train Driver View

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ras, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Ras

Ras Member

TrainSim-Dmitri driving with cab view showing is good, but you struggle to see much from a distant cab window, it would be nice to drive from this view

Attached Files:

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

It's actually possible to see quite a lot while in the engineer's chair by, for instance, opening the window(s) near you, sticking your head out, and looking ahead and behind. When coupling is required, I find it necessary to resort to the #2 camera, so I tell myself that I'm on the ladder of the last car coupled to my engine, ready to hop off and signal the engineer ... and so it goes. Imagination will take me far!

• Like Like x 5
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If you put an external camera right in front of the train and point it forwards you can drive with a fully clear view.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I DO THE SAME THING! I pretend I've got a walkie-talkie, lol! Unbelievable! But it's great, you get a sense of speed and weight of the locomotive!

• Like Like x 2
  5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

And using one's imagination is much better than grousing and claiming that this, that, and the other is broken.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ras

Ras Member

Brilliant suggestion, thanks

7. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

If DTG would listen to my co-op requests as listed in the post here , that would all be possible!

-Dean

8. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Just an observation.... but I find the original post defeats the whole concept of a simulator. Isn't the idea here to get a feel for what it is really like? Well, you can't drive the train from the front of the loco without an obstructed view. It's not possible and if you go stand on the deck as the engineer it's not safe. A couple of other posts make the best recommendations in my mind, to use the side windows, stick your head out, and use your imagination. This is how real trains work, if you want an unobstructed view then you are sidestepping the whole simulation concept of operating a train. I get your desire, but it's just not a realistic fit in this case. Best option suggested to resolve this was the external camera mounted at front of train.

I switch views often inside the cab from Driver's Seat to Head Out Right. This is how it would be in reality. And I will admit I also use the rear camera when reversing with a need to couple to ensure there is no "accident" by hitting the cars due to obstructed view and not knowing their position with regard to the train. You gotta have a Brakeman back there anyway, so this is them. Yes the map can help with that, but this is not a realistic function.

IMO for true simulation the best thing they could do for this game would be to have a radio system and an actual Brakeman to assist you in these matters. The brakeman would call out car lengths, do the car uncoupling for you, and throw switches where required. Just like real life. It is the one thing I miss most when playing this game, the Brakeman's assistance. The second best thing they could do is provide a flashlight for those times when you have to be out of the train in the dark for some reason. I know I've had to be n a couple of occasions and it's frustrating not being able to see things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

There's a flashlight button if you press left or right on the d-pad (I forget which). This helped me quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Thanks Johnny! I'll try it.

11. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

Regarding the "engineer's view", I would agree that nothing gets more realistic then just sitting in the seat or sticking your head out the window, anything besides that would be breaking the "simulation" factor.

Making a reverse moves is a different thing- I've outlined my views above.

Also the flashlight only work when your character is standing.

-Dean

• Like Like x 1