Douro Valley - Douro Line [portugal]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OnScheduleW/ChickenWings, Mar 30, 2020.

1. OnScheduleW/ChickenWings

OnScheduleW/ChickenWings Member

Hello Everyone.

I know it's a niche route in a small country, but it is indeed one of the most wonderful and beautiful routes in the world. A route that swings itself around the famous Douro Valley mountains full of Port Wine Yards, by the Douro River. It is also a very historical line. It's construction started in 1875, being concluded in the year 1887.

The whole route was originally pretty extensive, around 200kms from Ermesinde to the Spanish border. However the connection to the Spanish border has been discontinued, now being 160kms long. I am aware that 160km's is a lot for TSW standards, so I am suggesting the most beautiful part of the route that is 'Pala to Pocinho' (which would reach the size of the Sand Patch Grade Route).

I'm also aware it would take some deeper research and effort to model specific local locomotives.
    Some of the rolling stock on this route are the Portuguese Class CP0600, and as you see in the videos I'll link above, the CP 592.2. The Class CP1400, that actually is derived from the LD 844 British Rail model, (Class 20) as well as the CP0600 usually run/used to run on this beautiful line. Two being diesel DMU's (CP592.2, CP01600) and 1 a Diesel loco (CP1400, for both passenger and freight duties). If one day TSW opens up to the Steam world, there's also an historic train for touristic purposes, The CP Class 0186 (180 family).

I know it's really unlikely this will have any attention anytime soon. But maybe the beauty of the line in the videos will make you fall in love with it, and who knows, sometime soon we can see this in the worlds best train sim :)

Here are 2 videos of the exact line section I was mentioning above:

And here the Rolling Stock (Most videos are from the actual Douro Line:

CP1400:

CP0600:

CP592.2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBIRj8sdPUI

CP0186
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi5-Tc796Jc

• Like Like x 10
  2. Trim

Trim Active Member

I travelled it a couple of years ago when I was in Porto, and was surprised how little it is advertiesed and how few people were aware of it. It s just beautiful as you describe. When times are back to normal, this is certainly a line I would recommend people travel on, particularly if you have been enjoying visiting the port houses in Porto. However, I am not sure it would have the operational interst for me in TSW

• Like Like x 6
  3. luismiguelpereira

luismiguelpereira Member

I had already made the request, hopefully we can have one day :D

4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That looks pretty cool. Certainly different than the usual stuff we have in TSW. Would love to see such a route. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gonçalo Baptista

Gonçalo Baptista New Member

Thanks for advertising it! I've post it one my self before I knew that someone have done it already, I hope that some day it comes out wich Schindlers cars.

6. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Looks really good and unique! Would love some variety like this with beautiful scenery :).

• Like Like x 1