PlayStation Does Anyone Else Sort Of Dread Starting A New Game Sometimes?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by maheshanchan21, Apr 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. maheshanchan21

maheshanchan21 New Member

Maybe I'm just getting burned out or something, especially being in quarantine for nearly a month now (I live in Italy). But often when I finish a game and am looking for the next to play, I feel a bit of dread of having to start a new game. Maybe it's learning the new controls, and investing myself in another story, I don't know. I can't really put my finger on it.

A couple of weeks ago I started Arkham Knight which I had downloaded from PS+ and found myself hovering over the icon and thinking to myself "do I really want to start this?".

Sorry for the random thoughts, just something I needed to get off my chest and to see if anyone else has felt this way.

Stay healthy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Yes I get this too, AND sometimes do not want to stop playing a game because I will forget the controls!

With regards to TSW though, I find it easier returning to British locos after doing something else, then North American locos and finally German ones, which seem to demand a stricter set of startup procedures.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is definitely a thing. The longer I leave it between playing something, the less likely I am to ever return!

• Like Like x 2
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Railway Empire is one of these. I last played it in June last year and the controls were awkward on PS4. Just last week I got the UK DLC for it in the sale and had to try and relearn it all! Still not quite there yet lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

That's one on my to do list!

I've recently made a concerted effort to work my way through all the various games I've bought but never played. So yes I have to keep relearning control layouts - which usually take a while to sink in each time. Generally by the end of the game I've got it!

It's become awkward now because when I jump back into TSW I have the urge to scale up on top of Paddington station and snipe at aliens with my plasma rifle.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I bought a PS4 twelve months ago solely to run TSW. It came bundled with Red Dead Redemption 2 and I had a few goes at it but was more interested in driving trains so didn't get very far with it. That has changed recently as new content for TSW, of interest to me, has dried up. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the Trans Pennine and Tees Valley routes and never thought I'd lose the interest but I haven't been on TSW for a couple of months now and I'm enjoying the change. Perhaps the next release will tempt me back.

7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I keep looking at that because I loved RDR 1. I played it constantly for about 6 months. One reason I haven't bought 2 (besides price!) is because I know nothing else would get a look in. I must get through my backlog first. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tonto62

It's very addictive. It was a struggle at first for me, but I've got through the first chapter and I'm about halfway through the second. It's free roam now so I can decide what I want to do. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The attention to detail is astounding.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TinTin_57

I think for PS4 it's on sale from today. I have the standard edition so couldn't see the price of that but I saw the Ultimate Edition or whatever it's called was £29 instead of £84

• Like Like x 3
  10. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I'm sure I would pardner. ;)

Oh no!! I'll see everyone again around Christmas time then. :D
    (Although I don't think I've got the hard drive space. I must play quicker)

• Like Like x 2
  11. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

As others have said - this is certainly "a thing".... although I think it has a simple solution.... If you cannot get the motivation together, ahead of a new session... or set of sessions... to launch a game because you can't face the prospect of learning (or re-learning) the controls.... then your brain is telling you that are not that interested... so go and do something else, like sleep, listen to some music, scratch build a signalman's hut out of food packaging, or...as my crazy aunt would say... "Have a banana......!"

I am having a similar problem at the moment, as I am concurrently playing TSW on PS4 and PC, and TS2020 on PC.... (so that I can compare them) and the three very different control schemes are driving me nuts - even more nuts than before I started..... LOL. Reversing/mirroring the throttle/brake controls on TS2020 XBox controller and TSW PS4 DS4 is.... frankly.... an act of cruelty....and should possibly be considered to be a crime against humanity....! It wouldn't be allowed in time of war - that I can assure you - as doing this it breaks the Vienna Convention.

12. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I have exactly the same thoughts about RDR2..... My backlog (including some games still sealed in their boxes) needs some attention, before PS5 comes in around the end of the year.... I am also currently being somewhat distracted by the Dirt Rally 2 Colin McCrae Flat Out DLC (free DLC, with the new Perth course), which I think might well be the finest rallying course ever ever ever made.... and I know that we will soon be blessed with Fallout 76 being finally finished with the Wastelander NPC storyline (very soon), followed later by Cyberpunk.... and that's on top of just starting to get into TS2020.....

I am going to need a new couch by the end of it all.

• Like Like x 2
  13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

And a few clones to get through them all. They can play while you sleep. :)

I might try DR2 sometime. I quite liked the first one. For controls driving games are generally easy to jump into. Stop, press the left pedal. Go, press the right. Turn, move the wheel about.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thunderer

I bought Control in the PS4 sale last week for £19.99. It's excellent, if absolutely baffling at times.

15. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I bought it yesterday for a £10. It's a tricky one all right but quite twee and fun to play on first impressions.... Does have steam though....!!

16. TinTin_57

yeah Gilly it's a good one especially when the money starts rolling in

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tonto62

I've just picked up Railway Empire for £10 on the PlayStation store, I wouldn't have paid £45 for it but at that price it's a bargain. At least there are steam locomotives.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thunderer

Sudden Strike 4 Complete Edition is currently £9.99 from £44.99 on PSN store. Great fun, especially LAN multiplayer against my sons.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Bought the UK DLC pack for £3 based on the fact that I'm liable to be furloughed and it'll make a change from world of warships or space trucking in Elite. It's a nice game in its own little way.
    Really quite enjoying it and it makes me smile a fair bit with its jolly good old Britishness wot wot!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

Don't worry brother, i make the same every day...playing some TSW then some FIFA online with others and back...STAY STRONG there, and many greetings from here, Athens / Greece.... #stayhome ;););)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite wherein i'm great at starting games, but terrible at finishing them. Of all the games i played last year, I think Resident Evil 2 remake was the only one i completed. Probably why i love TSW and Elite:Dangerous so much- they never end lol.

2020 is off to a somewhat better start, as i just finished (first playthrough) Nier:Automata today. It was quite excellent, and i enjoyed the story enough to start NG+ (yes it's one of THOSE games, but tbf, first playthrough was only about 25 hours, and that was doing a lot of sidequests).

Just got added to Gamepass for those who might want to check it out.

Stay safe everyone!

22. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

I love driving games with the old favourite MUD RUNNER now on the shelf I'm getting ready for the latest version due on the 28th April. The graphs on the ps4 pro is just awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I managed to purchase a couple of games that were recently heavily discounted on Steam (for PC): Rise of the Tomb Raider (includes season pass) and Mad Max, to play through during this lockdown / holidays. I've been jumping between the 2 games to keep up some variety so I'm often confusing the controls of one game with the other. The real surprise for me was Mad Max, what a great game. Most of the user reviews on Steam for it start with "Most games made from a movie aren't very good.. but this one is different".

24. Thunderer

Mad Max is a great game, maybe there wasn't much in the publicity budget because it totally flew under most people's radar.

25. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I agree. Mad Max was free on PS Plus sometime back and is only one of a few freebies I've completed. A hidden gem. :)