PC New To Train World And Need Help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ninjaserver123, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Ninjaserver123

Ninjaserver123 New Member

Hi there folks. Just got TSW2020 and am trying to grasp a lot of things here. My first problem I am having without realizing why is as follows. I am doing standard passenger runs, all is going well, I may apply brake 1A or 1B to drop off speed a bit. I maintain my accelemeter right where I want but then sometimes the throttle will not increase speed. I am stuck in a coast while braking will still work. I haven't passed a "stop" signal or see any warning lamps. There is so much I will leave it there are see what more info may be needed to help.
    Thanks to all who take the time to help me out.

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Which route and which train? Some you can't apply the power again until the brakes are completely released,

3. Ninjaserver123

It's the Main Spessart Bahn. I have made sure the brakes are completely released. I see sometimes the emergency brake does not move back in sync with the main brake. Is there a reason for this? Even at brake level 4 , when applied gradually, when I release back to off, sometime (not sure why) the emergency brake has to be moved back manually serperate from the main brake. Other times they are in sync on only ; and ' keys are needed.
    Thanks

4. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Is there any chance you are pressing the backspace button by accident? This is the key for emergency brakes

5. Ninjaserver123

Definitely not that.

I also should note I used the term Emergency brake when I should have said "Electric" brake when alluding to the two brakes that sometimes work in sync and sometimes don't

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I think what's happening (I think!) is that somehow you're changing the brakes and/or forgetting to release them:
    • Make sure the brake selected is 'train brake' - this is what should be used pretty much all of the time.
    • When releasing the brakes, go one further than 'running'. This will be 'release' and you will see on the HUD the red needle moving back to its normal position.

7. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I don't know what traction you are using, so I could be wrong.... but it sounds like you have locked out the power, by braking with the power applied.

To recover from this situation, you need to remove all power, and then put the reverser into neutral. Then remove any braking. Then put the reverser back into forward. And then apply power. And then the power should return (and you should see the ammeter flicker into life). If this doesn't work immediately, then you might need to keep the reverser in neutral for say ten seconds (in the above process).

If you are recovering from an emergency brake application, then the train migt have to come to a complete stop before you can re-apply power.

The above process should serve you well on a number of trains that inter-lock the brakes with the power.

8. Ninjaserver123

Thank you everyone for your time and replies. I truly appreciate it.
    So I have played some more trying to duplicate my problems and see exactly what get's the train moving again.
    There are 2 factors. One is that I need to pull the throttle all the way back a second time, then re-engage and momentum will be built. I have , however, decided to flip the PZB acknowledge swith. I didn't get any tutorial training on this and the manual is very seemingly irrelevant for this early scenario. That said. It seems to have also been something that has allowed me to proceed with throttle and momentum.
    If this is not just co-incidence. Is it possible the PZB (not sure if this is the right term) but was tripped by being over the limit by a km/h or two? Is that what PZB acknowledge does? If those are true my follow up question is how do I know I have to hit it. There are no indicators I see.

9. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

PZB acknowledge has no function as long as you didn't activate PZB itself, so that's not it.
    Wer could go on guessing, but why not record a short video and post it here?
    That would clear things up pretty quick I believe

10. Ninjaserver123

Thanks for claifying that. I won't bother with anything to do with the PZB. I will see if I can get a clip. I noticed it happened as I was in a 130km zone, and slowed to accommodate a 110km. Then when it went down to say 107km i tried to bring it up a bit and no response. I had to toy around with the throttle from on to off to on etc. to be able to regain any momentum

11. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Yes, on MSB all trains have separated Throttle/Brake handles. Any German loco (doesn't apply to some MU's) will not apply traction if:
    - Brakes are applied
    - Throttle has not started from "off"
    - Parking brake is on
    - and some other less important requirements.

Most importantly, when braking, it is necessary to reduce the throttle lever FULLY to off. It turns out that it's very damaging for a train to apply brakes while any amount of power is being applied, so the train will immediately block all traction until you return the throttle to zero and fully release brakes. On the 146 and 185 you can make your life a lot easier by just using AFB.

Cheers,
    Prof.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1