Cn Champaign Sub: Champaign - Centralia, Il

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CTIceman1, Apr 4, 2020.

1. CTIceman1

CTIceman1 Member

This Canadian National ex IC line extends from Champaign, IL south to Centralia, IL. The line can see traffic such as intermodal, manifest, grain, coal, locals, and more. Plus, Amtrak's City of New Orleans, Illini, and Saluki passenger trains operate on this line as well. Effingham, IL is a well known city on this line and contains an additional small yard for Canadian National along with a CSX/CN diamond and an Amtrak station, which is perfect for railfanning. There are Amtrak stations along the line in Centralia, Effingham, Mattoon, and Champaign, IL.

Locomotive Ideas:
    [​IMG]
    CN C44-9W

[​IMG]
    CN GP38-2W

[​IMG]
    CN ET44AC

[​IMG]
    CN SD70 Spartan Cab

[​IMG]
    Amtrak P42DC

Rolling Stock Ideas:
    For the most part with rolling stock, it is a possibility for it to be reused from the CN Oakville Subdivision route, with the addition of some well cars for intermodal and also coal hoppers. However, for the passenger rolling stock, the Amfleet cars can be reused from NEC but some Amtrak Horizon and Superliner equipment (for the City of New Orleans train) would be a good addition too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are many details about this subdivision that make it unique, and it is a great route for fast freight and passenger services with speeds for freight up to 60mph and 79mph for passenger. Various industries along the line can be served as well, including places to transfer between railroads. In the future, more locomotives can be made as DLC. This is a route that I feel should be considered when it is time for the next North American route.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion. Only thing I would change is loco ideas. I personally would prefer an ex BC rail engine with a k5h, however, those have gotten rare.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

This would be a great idea to add into TSW

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Newbury

I too would love to see BC Rail added as well

• Like Like x 2
  5. CTIceman1

CTIceman1 Member

That can be where the locomotive dlc can come in. I think maybe a BC Rail C44-9WL, C40-8M, or even a 2nd livery of the C44-9W. What would be cool is if some of the locos could have multiple liveries that you could choose from, just like the AC4400CW in Heavy Haul or the GP40 dlc. That way, BC Rail can be included and the IC Death Star livery on the SD70.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I would certainly go for this route in any form, although I would prefer it set in Illinois Central days. I was born in Centralia and grew up around that area. One particular town was Odin, just North East of Centralia, and the IC crossed the CSX here on an ex B&O route. Back then the two roads used to interchange cars there, I would ride my bike down to the diamond and watch locals from both roads do their work.

This picture was taken in Odin in the early 90s, the track in the foreground is the interchange track, the train is Southbound just about to cross the diamond, the signal protects the diamond. The IC had just purchased some ex-Conrail SD40-2s
    [​IMG]

Sadly the diamond is no longer there as CSX has stopped using the line and the interchange tracks are long gone as well.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

A CN SD75I could be another possible loco to include in this route.

• Like Like x 4
  8. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Snce it is an ex IC route, how about an SD70 in IC's Death Star scheme?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Nice proposal, and we do need more American freight focused routes in TSW, and I love the idea of all these freight locos as well as additional passenger services with a new P42DC!:)

• Like Like x 3
  10. CTIceman1

CTIceman1 Member

Similar to how the CSX GP40-2 has the two paint liveries, that could be the same case for the SD70 so there will be one in CN and one in IC livery.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Yes pls add the SD70 in TSW I don’t care if it’s a spartan cab variant or wide cab/isolated/comfort cab but pls add it luv listening to that 16-710G3 start/rev up!!:D

12. CTIceman1

CTIceman1 Member

This just came across my mind, Canadian National’s Blue Devil units would also be a great addition to the route as well. However, they are becoming really hard to find now.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. controlsee

controlsee New Member

I live in Champaign and would totally be onboard with this. If you were to do it in the IC days, maybe include a part or whole of the line through Monticello to Decatur. I know the MRYM would be for that (they currently own the 7ish miles of ROW around Monticello). If doing modern days, that line now only extends to Seymore, with a derail at Staley Rd. That said, there could be some industry switching opportunities, given that Plastipac and Kraft Foods are on that branch. I know they wouldn't be named that in the game, but having a large industry to switch would add some variety to the game. They also use some interesting power for that, usually ex-IC and GT, still with original, albeit beat up, paint. Also, they often tag a caboose on the consist to help navigate the crossings through town.

14. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

CN also just ordered 20 SD70ACe-T4s, so maybe we could see those engines made as a DLC in the future.

15. Michael Newbury

They would be a great add to the Yellowhead Pass already in game.

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What CN Champaign Sub can do is actually give Oakville Subdivision GP38-2W SD70 ET44AC C44-9W CN locomotives in return Oakville gives GP38-2 GP9M to the route.