PC Pc Vs Xbox/ps4

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 749006, Apr 4, 2020.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I play TSW on a PC and I was passing comments back and forth on a Facebook group about running different locos on UK routes. Somebody asked me how it was done and I mentioned the Czech site where you can download a number of files to add different locos to other routes.

You had to download a file and place it in a folder and the game sees it over the default files
    The other person mentioned he was playing the game on a console and was unable to change anything

I wonder if this could be a reason why we don't have an Editor?
    People who play on a console won't be able to edit things without a proper keyboard and a way to save their changes.

Peter

2. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Its already been stated that console will not get the editor, firstly they cant run it for multiple reasons, for example there is no such thing as a version of the editor from Epic Games that works with consoles, there hardware is far to limited to run the editor as well, you can freely download the UE engine from Epic for free at any point to have a look it requirements there rather high and even more so for a stable experience.

With that said id say there is Zero impact of consoles on the editor as its simply not possible to run the editor on them and there is nothing Dovetail can do about that.

3. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I don't think the Czech mods have anything to do with why we don't have an editor. Of course, none of us really know all the reasons why we don't have one but my guess would be because DTG can't create an editor that uses cooked content, and therefore can't provide the one they have to the public (only to 3rd party developers). For developers they can get a signed agreement to not distribute uncooked content, a lot harder to enforce that with the public.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I did not say that.
    I was pointing out that as a player of TSW on a PC I am able to add files to my setup whereas console players cannot.

Peter

5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

There are ways to do these things. In GT Sport for example, you can add logos to your account on the GT website to have them available for use in the in-game livery editor and they can also be shared publicly for other people to use in their liveries. For the little things like scenarios and perhaps train skins, something similar might be possible, although given how terminally bad the Mastery implementation and the whole TSW user interface are, I wouldn't hold out any hope of it working correctly or consistently if DTG did try that.

For things like full route or loco DLC, the distribution would definitely be the key issue - putting stuff on PSN store in a way that the DLC is tied to the main game would probably need to be done via DTG. They've accidentally proven through the incorrect listing of the Baby Bullet DLC that items not linked to the base game can still be bought/installed and work correctly, but then the developers would need proper PSN dev accounts which would rule out most of the 'talented hobbyists' who turn stuff out for TS2020 currently.

Obviously, any editor based on the UE4 editor will be for PC/Mac only and won't itself run on a console, but that shouldn't stop one from existing - content for consoles can still be produced on the computer version. [Edit to add: However, some PC-focused developers on this forum have built and released stuff for TSW without having ever tested it on a PS4 and, well, we know how that ends...]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Sorry Peter, I obviously misinterpreted what you said.
    When you think about it the game itself already has built in content distribution in the form of the Dovetail Store. You'd think it would be just a matter of copying the format and altering it for user content (without going to the payment screen).

7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

On PS4, the Dovetail Store page of the game interface just links you straight through to the PS Store - there's no actual delivery mechanism there. Also, that interface isn't brilliant at handling the very limited amount of content we have now – UI design is clearly low on their priority list – so if we end up with hundreds of bits of DLC, it's going need a serious rework.

You've also go to have some sort of quality requirement; with the GT Sport example, if someone puts up a rubbish livery, or one with something inappropriate on it, it will fall down the rankings and disappear very quickly or otherwise be reported. The cream of the crop rises to the top (as House of Pain almost sang). With a piece of DLC, you've got to know as a user what you're getting before you commit to downloading it, so they'd need to build a whole secondary store system with ratings, details, screen shots etc. If resources are tight for just getting the DLC built, that's a project they probably won't want to get into. The obvious solution: make the editor available only to selected third parties, and distribute all of the approved content through DTG's Playstation Store publisher account.