Profile-management & Backups

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Railmaster, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

since it shot up my profile yesterday and my career is going to hell, I have to start again, for better or worse. This time, however, gladly with possible damage limitation, should something like this happen again, what can be assumed! After all, I'm not the first and the last ...

I am not yet very familiar with the PS and all its possibilities, which ultimately also depends on the application. Therefore I would like to ask:

Is it possible to save TSW together with its profile externally and play it back again - if it crashes again?

How can updates be skipped if necessary?

If you cannot save a profile as a whole and play it back, it would be a good idea to create several profiles, one for each route, so that in the worst case not everything is affected again. But whether that is practicable and does TSW support so many profiles at all or is it already limited?

Unfortunately, such measures are inevitable and the question is which one is most helpful here. Do you have any experience or suggestions? Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

First- very sorry to hear about your trashed TSW 2020 profile. I’d be pretty (upset) about that too.

Question: Do you have a PSPlus membership with online storage? If so, you could use this moving forward to periodically back up your TSW profile to the online storage. I’ve done this before with a handful of critical PS4 apps- where losing my profile and progress would be a pretty big deal and would cost me a lot of time to get back. I just did this now with my TSW 2020 profile (all files that were listed for this app) due to the issue with your profile... my hope is that you can use the PSPlus cloud storage feature as well to mitigate this risk moving forward. Good luck, hope this info helps.

P.S. Nine files were listed for my Train Sim World 2020 app under ‘Application Saved Data Management/Saved Data in System Storage/Upload to Online Storage/Train Sim World’... I copied all of them to my cloud just to be safe, though I suspect only 1-2 might actually be profile data.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Railmaster

Hi,

have no PS +, maybe it would be worth considering. However, you can also create a backup externally. The profile data should probably be included in it. Blatant that you now have to back up data even on a game console!

When I started TSW, I wondered which services I would conclude first, which route would be next, and which expansion would be considered. And as soon as I have spent over € 50 on addons, I have to ask myself how I can best save my data on a game console! That's crazy! This gives the game an extra thrill! ...

Still wondering if it makes sense to create multiple profiles. If the number is not limited anyway.

Until then I had only completed the Scenarious and Journeys on all routes, whereby I did the Sc. had to do twice because they are not counted in the journeys. But I wanted it to be completely finished. So now "only" the timetables are left. From a purely playful perspective, only day-to-day business. Maybe I'll just make a profile for the timetables and another for everything else.

But it is great - instead of one career, I now have several and they are also secured! You just have to plan it properly, then it works!

Would I be interested in how others handle it?

4. Stockton Rails

...should’ve added this link to my earlier note- you can also back up your profile data to a USB stick as well (I used to do this before I had the cloud backup feature). Do what you think is best- but not having PSPlus, I would start backing up any critical profile data (for any game) to USB just to be safe.

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/data_system.html

5. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Even a game console is full of electronic components that can fail. And in the case of the hard drive it has a mechanical spinning motor and jiggling about heads. So always backup data you'd hate to loose. :)

You can press the option button while on the TSW icon and backing up will be on the list it brings up. Quicker than going through the menus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Railmaster

Thanks!

Of course, a console is also a computer and so I had more hardware defects on the screen when it came to backup. And yes, of course an update can sometimes go wrong, like last time. Now I know that I can also count on self-destructive profiles!

Until then I thought because the PS is a closed system and all applications are geared towards making it much more stable and easier to configure than it is with a PC. That's why I chose TSW on PS4, because with Linux & Steam that would have been a bit of a fuss. But the grass is probably not greener here either.

This has one advantage - I am no longer at war with the controller and will now also watch other games. And I now know that PS Backup is extremely important too! You can't rely on anything anymore.

Will now drive with two profiles, as mentioned above. And no longer buy addons while bugs are still being reported. I've already burned enough coal. And if at some point the Mastery runs properly, I will make a third profile for it. And of course regular backups from now on!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Stockton Rails

Thanks for the tip on using the option menu to backup game data... will have to remember that.

• Like Like x 1