Amtrak's Springfield Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Railfan722, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The Springfield Line is rail line that runs for 62 miles from New Haven, Connecticut to Springfield, Massachusetts along the Connecticut River.

The Route
    The route, as already stated, is 62 miles long and has 9 stations. While this is a little longer than the routes we currently have, much of the land is rural which offsets the short, urban nature of many of the other routes in TSW at the moment and would certainly cut down on dev time.
    [​IMG]
    Route Map - routes in green are bus lines

A cab ride north from New Haven on a CTrail train. Thanks to FanRailer for the video

The line was double-tracked until the 80s, when falling passenger numbers meant that it was easier to rip out the second track with a number of passing sidings along the way. Recently, though, in preparation for the renovation or complete demolition of the Interstate 84 bridge through the center of Hartford, Connecticut has begun to improve suburban transit to ease the traffic if the bridge is closed. This project included the Hartford Line, a medium-speed suburban transit option. This required the re-addition of the second track south of Hartford to provide the frequency that the state wanted. North of Hartford, the line remains single track.

Along with the main line, there are a number of short branches. The one I would like to see the most is the 6-mile line to Plainville, Connecticut, where Pan Am service ends. Currently, there is one train - symbols PLED and EDPL, from Plainville to East Deerfield (30 miles north of Springfield) in Massachusetts and back.
    [​IMG]
    Connecticut Southern also provides service on the entire line. Most of their traffic comes from construction materials, food products, and trash, most of which is sent via CSX to New York in the south and Albany or Boston in the north. Since 2012, CSO has been a wholly owned subsidiary of the Genesee and Wyoming rail empire, who own many railways abroad - G&W Australia and Freightliner in the UK are probably the most familiar.

Services
    The Springfield Line has a ton of services provided by four different companies. Connecticut Southern and Pan Am, as already discussed, operate freight on the route. Amtrak and CDOT (Connecticut Department of Transportation), under the name CTrail, provide the passenger trains.

Amtrak runs three services currently. These are The Vermonter (Washington D.C - St. Albans. Vermont), Northeast Regional (Washington D.C/Newport News/Roanoke, Virginia - Springfield/Boston, Massachusetts) and the Springfield Shuttle (New Haven, Connecticut - Springfield, Massachusetts). CTrail runs two - four trains every weekday from New Haven to Hartford, with an additional two continuing to Springfield. Amtrak operates at speeds up to 110 miles per hour, while CTrail is limited to 80 miles per hour. Shuttle trains, Northeast Regionals and CTrail stop at New Haven Union Station, New Haven State Street, Wallingford, Meriden, Berlin, Hartford, Windsor, Windsor Locks, and Springfield. The Vermonter stops at New Haven Union Station, Meriden, Hartford, Windsor Locks, and Springfield. Until June 2018, it also stopped at Wallingford and Berlin.
    Important Locations
    New Haven Union Station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Built in 1920, Union Station is a landmark of New Haven, along with its pizzerias. As part of an improvement scheme in the 70s, it was slated for demolition, but was instead renovated and reopened in 1985. It is Amtrak's tenth busiest station. There are a bunch of cool things in the station such as the sadly now-removed split flap display for train arrivals and departures, the model trains on top of the benches, and the 70s style subway to the tracks.
    Cedar Hill Yard
    [​IMG]
    Cedar Hill was built at the junction of six of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad lines in the early 20th century. By the 1940s, it had grown to one of the largest rail yards in the world as almost all of the industrial traffic of the Northeastern United States passed through it. It had a maximum capacity of 15,000 rail cars on 150 miles of track, and almost all of it was utilized. Its fortunes were tied to the industry of New England, and as the 60s rolled on, much of it packed up and left, taking the rail traffic with it. Today, it exists as an interchange for the Connecticut Southern north, CSX to the west, and Providence and Worcester to the east.
    Hartford
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To the north of the center of Hartford is Meadows Yard. Connecticut Southern is based here, and acts as a central collection point for all local traffic on the Springfield Line. Moving south, you come to Hartford Union Station. Originally four tracks, it has been reduced to just one. The 1914 station concourse has been turned into office space, and the lower level is a bus station.
    Springfield Union Station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Springfield Union Station was built as a replacement for the 1839 and 1851 Union Stations before it. It was completed by the Boston and Albany railroad, a subsidiary of the New York Central, in 1926, and is exactly 89 miles from both Boston and Albany. The New Haven, Central of New England, and Boston and Maine all used the station. In 1973, Amtrak closed the 1926 building because it was far too large for their needs. A temporary station was used until 1994, when a small building was constructed at track level with an elevator from the street. In 2017, a renovation project was finished which brought the 1926 building back into service with a bus terminal outside.
    West Springfield Yard
    [​IMG]
    West Springfield is where Connecticut Southern and Pan Am interchange with CSX. Freight trains have to do an interesting reversing move at the station to go over the bridge across the Connecticut River.
    Rolling Stock
    GE P42DC
    [​IMG]
    The "Genesis" series of locomotives of which the P42 is a part of were manufactured from 1993 to 2001. Amtrak owns over 200 of them, and are the mainstay of diesel passenger trains, although the Siemens SC-44 is set to take over that role in a few years time.
    EMD/NRE GP40-2H
    [​IMG]
    In 1996, AMF Technotransport of Montreal rebuilt six of CSX's GP40s into this monstrosity, incorporating components of the GP38, for CDOT's Shore Line East service. The six units were transferred to Hartford Line duties after Shore Line East received P40s. They were rebuilt during this period by National Railway Equipment.
    GE Dash 8-40B
    b40.jpg

[​IMG]
    151 of these were built by General Electric from 1988 to 1989 as part of their Dash 8 program. This thing is the freight version of the Genesis series, if you can believe it. Pan Am purchased a number of them from CSX, and the picture above is one in fairly good condition - most of them still have "CSX" painted on them with a thick black line painted across it.
    EMD SD40-2
    [​IMG]
    Connecticut Southern has 4 SD40-2s, all secondhand. This could be ripped from CSX Heavy Haul and would be a good way of getting the SD40-2 to console players. All four are in this paint scheme.
    EMD GP38
    [​IMG]
    Connecticut Southern own a grand total of one GP38. The only real point of this would be as a yard switcher and to add a dash of that oh-so-hideous G&W orange to the route. It would require slight modification from the Heavy Haul or NEC GP38-2, but is otherwise very similar.
    Ex-Metroliner Cab Car
    [​IMG]
    We've already got a Metroliner Cab Car in TSW, although if this route were made, I'd like to see the variant with the door in the front included - on the one currently, it's plated over.
    MBB Cab Car and Coach
    [​IMG]
    These are currently leased for CTrail service from MBTA in Boston. There are 4 cab cars and 12 coaches, and all were built in 1988 by German aerospace manufacturer Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm. This was their first and only entry into the rail market, and MBB was merged into the Daimler-Benz conglomerate in 1989.

In addition to the locomotives and cab cars, I think a variety of freight stock should be included. To be honest, I think the NEC: New York stock would be the best option - perhaps a few different colors (red centerbeams, DTGX yellow boxcars, etc.) would be great. The Amfleets that came with NEC: New York would also work well, although a version of the cafe car without the "Northeast Regional" branding would be good for the Vermonter services.
    Final Thoughts
    I think the Springfield Line is a great route to have in TSW because it offers something for everyone. High speed passenger, commuter runs, local freight, and manifest freight, there's a service for anyone. I might be more than a bit biased, though, seeing as I'm from the area myself ;). While all of the locomotives listed would be a bit of a stretch for a TSW route, I would hope that at least all of the passenger stock and the SD40-2 were included. Any thoughts or suggestions? Drop them down below - your feedback is always welcome.

Edit 29/6/19 - Fixed the B40-8 picture
    11/2/20 - Changed P42 manufacturer

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 30
  2. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Totally love I hope dovetail release it someday in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  3. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

This means the Cab Car can Be expanded to do services here and BigPapi34 U want freight and passeng

• Like Like x 7
  4. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

True dat

• Like Like x 3
  5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Beat me to it actually. I was gonna propose this eventually, but never got around to doing it. As such I am biased but I think this is a great idea!

• Like Like x 3
  6. mrchuck

I think it would be awesome to include the Connecticut Shoreline east as well because I think Connecticut Shoreline east terminates at New London Connecticut.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I think this would be a nice route. Maybe you people on the forms won't have to listen to my complaining lol.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Big Papi34

Ooooh it also has a dash 8-40b. I love those standard GE cabs. I miss seeing them on Norfolk Southern.

• Like Like x 3
  9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I managed to carefully miss every single one of them when CSX had them. Still haven't seen one, lol.

I do like them though, they would be neat to see.

• Like Like x 4
  10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Railfan722 Wow THIS is a route pitch! What a nice read! I hope DTG sees this!

Your post is my template for my future pitch, man got a lot to do now hehe

• Like Like x 4
  11. Big Papi34

Don't feel bad, I missed Norfolk Southern DC to AC 4000, heritage unit Norfolk and Western, and the heritage unit Central Railroad of New Jersey all on the same train. Then they came back through again on a return trip and I missed them, they they went back through and then returned. In total they went through 4 times and I missed them all 3. It was coal loads so that's why they went through so much.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

I look forward to it! To give credit where it's due, AyrtonS8's Tyne and Wear Metro was the main basis for this proposal.

• Like Like x 4
  13. TrainHorn22

TrainHorn22 Active Member

Can Metro-North Be in this aswell?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Big Papi34

How about we leave it to the railroads included.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. TrainHorn22

TrainHorn22 Active Member

But there's a chance of MNRR being included with the New Cannan Branch, Danbury, And Waterbury Branches with some Stations. The New Haven Line Could be started at Stamford Considering How Long Modern Routes are compared to the old Routes.

• Like Like x 4
  16. mrchuck

Awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  17. mrchuck

Metro north trains on the Waterbury terminate at Bridgeport and then go back to Waterbury.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Big Papi34

There's already 3 railroads included in this suggestion. If DTG make it we will be lucky to get 2.

• Like Like x 2
  19. mrchuck

My pick would be Springfield Massachusetts to New haven Connecticut Ctrail. Because they’ve already got the Amtrak metroline cabcar .

• Like Like x 1
  20. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It should be GE P42DC, not EMD P42DC.
    This does look like a very interesting route. It would be nice to see in TSW someday.
    DTG doesn’t have a license for Pan Am though. Maybe they could sub it for CSX instead.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Big Papi34

I think the EMD was just a typo. As he said the GE dash 8 was the freight version of the p42dc.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Big Papi34

Also, in my opinion this is one of the most interesting route possibilities seen. As it has every service imaginable, and the stations look interesting as well.

• Like Like x 5
  23. Anthony Pecoraro

This really should be made for TSW. I am really hoping for a P42DC, they are my favorite locomotive, and I am sure that DTG had access to one. We have Amfleets and the cab car already, those would need some slight modifications and they would be good to go.

• Like Like x 5
  24. Big Papi34

As much as I love p40's and 42's, im a freight guy and would prefer that standard cab GE. However, the p42 is one of the most iconic American engines, and should be a top priority to make some time soon.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

I know it will be made eventually! It has to!

• Like Like x 4
  26. Big Papi34

If coronavirus dont stop em. Honestly I think some places have went overboard with it.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

This route is a great idea but I can almost promise that it would only run to Hartford, omit one of the passenger railroads, and reuse the crummy CSX GP38 for the billionth time. It has great potential but unfortunately it can be ruined or severely limited by cutbacks.

• Like Like x 2
  28. mrchuck

If we get the Springfield Massachusetts route to new haven Connecticut it would definitely be awesome to drive the Connecticut rail commuter train someday in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  29. npalmer405

npalmer405 Member

I would love to see more Amtrak in TSW and this route would be great to see. I mainly want to see the P42. In the past they have had trouble with getting licensing from the jackass CEO at Pam Am Railways.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Random Railfan

I doubt Pan Am's CEO is worse than Richard Anderson lol

• Like Like x 2
  31. Anthony Pecoraro

At least Anderson is out now.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Random Railfan

They got rid of him?

• Like Like x 3
  33. Anthony Pecoraro

I think so.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Random Railfan

Thank goodness.

• Like Like x 3
  35. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Yes I would love to see more American commuter rail in TSW, as well as freight, and a P42DC is long overdue in TSW, so yes I agree! Also would love to see all the other freight locos (especially the SD40-2) in TSW:)

• Like Like x 3
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

P42s are simply fantastic locomotives. We really need one.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

What should it sell for?

• Like Like x 1
  38. npalmer405

npalmer405 Member

A lot more than it it should cost. Like all other add-ones / dlc for the game

• Like Like x 2
  39. mrchuck

If the route comes to train sim world someday in the future would it be Springfield Massachusetts to New haven Connecticut or Hartford Connecticut?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Anthony Pecoraro

Maybe New Haven to Hartford.

• Like Like x 2
  41. mrchuck

oh awesome.

• Like Like x 1