Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by Jayhen6, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Jayhen6

Jayhen6 New Member

Hi there,
    Only just registered on here today and hoping to gather some advice. I’ve gone through the academy and bought a heritage add on and the settle/Carlisle add on and focusing on steam locos at the moment. My first question is can I import/download older routes eg Severn Valley Railway produced a few years ago by another developer of an I constrained to the dovetail store?
    Regards

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not constrained. 3rd party addons are a major part of the hobby of rail simming

Just be aware that in some cases 3rd party addons may overwrite the DTG original files (such as sound packs, enhancement or track packs etc) and if you verify the files (the first thing DTG will get you to do if you submit a ticket) it will reset these files back to the DTG originals

In other words, if you have enhancement or sound packs and you verify your files, you will need to reinstall ALL of those packs.

3. Frostyweb

Frostyweb New Member

Hi,
    Only just joined and realised my old computer won't run TSW2020, I'm looking at buying
    Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF 3rd Gen Quad Core i5-3470 8GB 128GB SSD DVDRW Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Desktop PC Computer
    Will this work?

4. ARuscoe

Basic answer is yes, but with the caviat that 128Gb storage will get eaten very very quickly if you start buying content packs etc
    That unit, being a compact workstation format, is also not the easiest to upgrade with hard disks, graphics cards etc so if you get more into the game you'll be wanting to upgrade very quickly

5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

No discrete GPU from the looks of it. Not to dismiss it, I got started in TS with an i3 based laptop sans GPU and it was much better than nothing, but you would have to turn down or off most of the graphics settings and choose your routes carefully. To take as an example a route I drove on that machine a lot pottering around the branch lines in The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s was great but things really slowed once I got to Darlington.

Very much agree with ARuscoe on the subject of disk capacity- my system drive is a 240GB SSD and, with Windows and TS (a goodly collection built up over the last few years but not immense- a dozen or so routes and some extra loco's) plus other software of course, it's about half full.

I'm guessing you're buying second hand and would've thought you could do better- I got a second hand i5 17" laptop with a basic but adequate GPU for £200 that ran TS nicely.

6. Jayhen6

Jayhen6 New Member

Thanks for that, which 3rd party developers would you recommend for Steam based add ons?

thanks

7. ARuscoe

I'm not a kettle (steam train) fan, but there are loads on this forum. I would suggest a new post in the General Topics section asking for recommendations, but I would suggest making your post fully qualified, as in give some of your real life preferences such as where you would like to drive and what.

8. Jayhen6

Jayhen6 New Member

Thanks for that