PlayStation What Is The Purpose In Getting Action Points

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Cottonmouth, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Sorry if this has been brought up before but is the reason in getting the so call Action Points? You can't use them for any thing like buying new DLC. OK I can see that you get points in your stopping, and if you are doing a long journey they soon mount up. but In my view they just seem to be a pointless bit of info. You can't do anything with them

2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Just a way of counting up to your driver levels which should be used for things like Mastery – if it worked properly. They've really missed a trick with the points and levels. It would be awesome to have something useful unlock, maybe a section of a timetable for a whole new branch line could become available when you reach level 20 on a route - so you have a reason to keep playing to try and unlock it. Unfortunately, they seem to be more focused on the simulation part of the package than the game elements, which keeps the product pretty niche and devoid of any feeling of progression (even the Trophies, which are an easy progress marker for game makers, don't work consistently in TSW).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Hi, You hit it on the head. I agree it would be nice as you say get points so as you progress you can unlock certain tracks. I dont use this Mastery thing as I keep reading here the problems it has.

• Like Like x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed about Action Points and their accumulation into levels for each train, route and overall game, is that they appear to work quite well, which is nice.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I think AP's would be fun for liveries (train skins), even if they were fictional.

Either way, I'm a sucker for AP's! It activates that part of my brain with a sense of accomplishment. Also, it shows that I'm a huge TSW nerd. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Action points allied to an optional career mode. Start off with yard work, getting trains ready like into Reading station on GWE, then route learning runs with minimal HUD, progressing from stopping services to the HST and freight. Mistakes remove points so progression is linked to On going proven knowledge. A hard-core sim mode for a hard-core career.
    That would be nice and could be done with existing components of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I know Cal Train does add wraps on some of their passenger cars. Those would be cool, as you said even if fictional (or maybe Dovetail could make a few pennies in advertising if they used real companies ;) ). Or perhaps "Operation:Lifesaver" wraps or logos.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gav

Gav Active Member

Dovetail need to open up a store in game, but no money used for it, its only for AP, this would be a great thing... now what can you purchase with AP?? obviously not routes or trains because thats with real money, but how about skins, and decals, and colors, and logos, and platform accessories, that you can add to the game and they can cost AP.

So for example there would be a Flower Pot that I can purchase with my AP for the station Blue Anchor on West Summerset Railway, and so on and so on

• Like Like x 4