Neckartalbahn: Heidelberg Hbf - Mosbach (baden)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aran, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Introduction:

This is my route suggestion for the Neckartalbahn running from the popular tourist city of Heidelberg to the small yet busy town of Mosbach (Baden) running through the beatiful Neckartal which is covered in forest on both sides creating a wonderful ambiance with beautiful scenery.
    Afer leaving Heidelberg HBF and stopping at Heidelberg Weststadt/Südstadt the train drives under the Königstuhl in the appropriately named Königstuhltunnel which brings you to Heidelberg Altstadt, formerly known as Heidelberg Karlstor, which is the first station in the Neckartal. From there you have a view of the famous Heidelberg Castle located on the Königstuhl as well as the Karlstor which stands in the middle of a traffic roundabout.

After that the route continues through the winding Neckartal passing towns like Neckargemünd, where the line crosses the Neckar in an interesting double-deck bridge designed for both people and trains, and Eberbach which is a changing point for trains to Frankfurt am Main. After roughly 50 Kilometres of the Neckartal you arrive at Mosbach Neckarelz which is part of the KVV Network. Between there and the final stop of Mosbach (Baden) is only a small distance running along a road most of the way.

The route is part of the S-Bahn RheinNeckar network connecting cities like Mannheim, Heidelberg and Mosbach with an hourly to half hourly service.

[​IMG]

Services:

For the services would have the S1 on the entire route from Heidelberg to Mosbach continuing out of the map at both ends and running every hour. Aswell as the S2 entering the map at Heidelberg and going to Mosbach (Baden) where alternates terminating and continuing to Eberbach, there are also exceptions where the train turns back at Mosbach Neckarelz. Together, the S1 and S2 perform a half hourly service between Heidelberg and Mosbach stopping at every station.

There would also be the S5 (Unit 1) and S51 (Unit 2) running as a double unit between Heidelberg HBF, the terminus of the train, and Neckargemünd HBF where they leave the map heading to Eppingen and Aglasterhausen respectively.

There is also an express service as the RE10a which starts at Mannheim and enters the map at Heidelberg HBF. This train goes almost the full length of the line, ending at Mosbach Neckarelz where it continues to Heilbronn. The service only stops at Heidelberg, Eberbach and Mosbach Neckarelz along the route.

* Freight lines using this route include both the coal trains operated by MRCE with their BR 182s aswell as car transporter which originates in Neckarsulm at the Audi car factory. This uses a selection of different locos including the DB BR 185 and the DB BR 155. Both of these services run along the entire route starting at Heidelberg HBF on track 6 and ending at Mosbach Neckarelz. They will also only be accessible for owners of the DLC Main-Spessart-Bahn. *
    Credit: Betjoin

Trains:

There would be two trains included in the route, both of which already exist with different specifications.

All S-Bahn services would be performed with the modernized DB BR 425 in DB S-Bahn RheinNeckar livery. The differences between these and the already existing trains are a slightly different interior, modern destination displays (Orange instead of green), new steps that fold out on the doors and a cleaner look. Considering this is sold as a seperate train I think that is a reasonable list. The current DB BR 425 one does NOT use the line.

The RegionalExpress service is done by the Abbelio Talent 2, the BR 1442 in BWegt Livery. Again, this is slightly different to the one already in existence but I think the change is doable.

* The freight service with the car transporter would utilise the DB BR 185 in Railion livery as included in the DLC Main-Spessart-Bahn aswell as the DB BR 155 if you own that DLC. As for the coal train I believe they should use the DB BR 185 unless you own the DLC DB BR 182, in which case that would be the loco of choice as per reality despite the livery being wrong. *
    Credit: Betjoin

[​IMG]

Future DLC:

This route has massive potential for future loco DLC as the DB BR 111 with the popular n-Wagen for the RE10a, which used to run on the line before Abbellio took over, and the not yet in service Siemens Mireo DB BR 463 in DB BWegt S-Bahn RheinNeckar livery can both be implemented in the future.

Pictures:

I believe that the Neckartal truly is a beautiful place, so I think I'll just let the pictures do the talking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of these were taken in the Neckartal between 2010 and 2020.

Cab ride videos for both Heidelberg HBF - Eberbach and Eberbach - Mosbach (Baden) can be found here and here, the weather is unfortunately not great but it's the best I could find. These we're not taken by me.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 26
  2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice proposal. Nice trains and very nice landscape. What do you think about to extend the route in the west till "Zentralstellwerk Mannheim". So we could have a lot of additional freight and shunting action. And the DB BR 204 could work there the whole day.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Yes that would be good and I have considered it, however that would add another ~17 km to the route and I don't think DTG would do that. On top of the fact that Mannheim would have to have a skyline the extension would unfortunately not be realistic to expect.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

Very good probosal! Nice route, very scenic. I would propose the en br111 with n wagen not as a separarte DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Thank you, I spent a lot of time thinking about it. I didn't consider the DB BR 111 for that but it's a good idea, would it replace the Talent 2 or just be a third drivable Unit included?

• Like Like x 3
  6. lucas_5_5

Scince its only some modifications to make in the 425 and talent2, i thought its more fair to include the 111 and n wagen in the base dlc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Well what a very beautiful and scenic route! This needs its own space in TSW:)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Yes that's a good point and I agree, however I unfortunately don't think DTG would so I won't edit the post to recommend that just because I want to stay as close to what I think DTG would do if they do decide to make this route. I hope you understand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, it's nice to see people agreeing with me. I hope this happens aswell, partially because it's my home route but also because it would be great to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lucas_5_5

Totally ! What i meant its not only what should be fair, if not what i think dtg could be able to do (in theory)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Betjoin

Betjoin Well-Known Member

As someone who lives in Heidelberg, i wholeheartedly support this :D !
    But you forgot the Coal-Blocktrains which run to Neckarsulm Powerstation and the Auto-Trains from Audi at Neckarsulm.

The Coal-Trains being hauled by (by 15th May 2020) MRCE BR182. The Car trains are Hauled by Various DB Locos. (As you allready stated mainly by 185 and 152, alltough i´ve even seen a 155, some 187s and 189s).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words, I also don't know that much about the freight trains on this line as I should so this really helped, if you're ok with it I'll incorporate it into my article with credit to you, just to make it more complete. I'm assuming we can use the 185 for that eventhough I think the DB BR 152 is more common on the line.

Edit: I saw your post on this route from a while ago too, made me very happy.:D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Betjoin

Betjoin Well-Known Member

I Edited it Accordingly so you can use it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Aran

Aran Well-Known Member

I have changed the freight section to add your information with credit and link to your user page. Thank you again for your help with this because I really didn't know enough about freight in this area.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Would be an amazing route, have been there just yesterday :D

16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it into the game important things to remember here Abellio Baden-Württemberg Baureihe 1442 DB Baureihe 425 S-Bahn Rhein Neckar count towards the original version mileage runs Nahverkehr Dresden Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe DB Baureihe 442 Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr DB Baureihe 425 Roaming the Rhein 425 km achievements. For a goods locomotive this is where a good spot to introduce the DB Baureihe 193 Vectron although you can also get a museum train DB baureihe 150 Einheitselok for this route as a DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Swisstrains

Swisstrains Well-Known Member

Also a classical German national loco like a Br151 would be perfect as normally only national freight runs here

• Like Like x 1
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You are correct and for the 151 coal train to the power station this can be a Falnqqs 130 coal Wagon has C-Akv couplers equipped remember to pull out the chain at the bottom if you need to run it with Red and Blue 155 locomotives otherwise transition car US996 is attached to them. The way you can tell apart a locomotive with C-Akv & Digital automatic coupler the freight version of 403 406 442 425 423 422 Scharfenberg couplers is that the sides have a warning triangle with automatic coupler in it.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1