PlayStation F40ph-2cat Brake Meaning?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by t.a.turner, Mar 31, 2020.

1. t.a.turner

t.a.turner New Member

Can anyone tell us the meaning of the brake settings on the F40PH-2CAT. I notice that it shows various settings IE Service- Lap - Holding - Release. And if anyone also could tell use the best way in stopping this monster? I find that if I apply brakes to early the whole engine grinds to a holt and have to do a complete reset to get her going.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

The brakes are manual lapping so if you put it to service, the pressure in the brake cylinder will keep on increasing. You need to move to service to set the pressure, move back to lap to keep that pressure consistent, and move it to release to drop the pressure (and braking force) off. It works in the same way as the Class 101 on NTP/TVL, but you don't have the control with the rate of pressure going into the cylinder, you just have to put it to service, wait until the pressure is right, then move back to lap.

Have you done the tutorial?

3. t.a.turner

t.a.turner New Member

Hi, Doing that at the moment so hoping with your info and the tutorial I can achieve a good station stop

4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Hello,

It is manual lapping brake system.

Service: You are applying brakes and the longer you leave it, the more brake you are applying. Notice that when you select SERVICE, brake pipe pressure decreases and conversely, brake cylinder pressure increases which means you are applying more brake so train will stop quicker.

Lap: Once you have the desired braking force, move the controller from SERVICE to LAP to maintain the braking force. Notice that the brake pipe pressure and brake cylinder pressure will remain as it is.

Holding: This maintains braking force while allowing you to recharge the brake pipe. Notice how brake cylinder pressure remains the same (and thus braking force) yet brake pipe recharges. I don’t want to go into much detail because it may confuse you and to be honest, you don’t really need this as the brake pipe charges so quickly anyway when you put it into RELEASE.

Release: If you want to release the brakes either partially or fully, put the controller into RELEASE. The longer you leave it, the more the brakes will release until the brakes are completely released. Notice how the brake cylinder pressure decreases until eventually it gets to zero meaning that brakes are fully released and conversely, brake pipe pressure rises until it gets to 110psi. If you wanted to partially release it, select RELEASE until you are happy with the braking force and then move back to LAP to maintain the braking force.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  5. t.a.turner

t.a.turner New Member

Thanks Guys for your help

6. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

To make it simple, you need to make parameters rather than just randomly putting some brakes on hoping it will work. So actually aim to have a certain brake pipe pressure/ brake cylinder pressure.
    You want to do most of your braking in 20psi or 30psi brake cylinder pressure (which is achieved by a brake cylinder pressure of 100psi or 96psi respectively. You’ve got a turbo in your profile picture... that is about step 1 (20 psi) and step 2 (30 psi) respectively in terms of braking force so you don’t need to use more than 30psi.

If you are able to make a video, we can advise further.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Fantastic explanation, as a new virtual engineer I can’t thank you enough.

• Like Like x 1