Class 40 Horn

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bob12212, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Has anyone else had an issue with the horn sound on the class 40? It doesn't loop properly and just kind of "stutters"

2. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yep. Welcome to TSW!

3. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a common occurance in TSW. Pretty much every horn stutters (some more than others), or sometimes it doesn't work at all. I'm not a sound engineer, but maybe it's difficult to simulate the way a horn sounds. Not just the sound itself, but in real life, the sound/pitch differs on how quick, slow, hard or lightly you pull the horn. :/

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I am a sound engineer but know very little about sound implementation in video games. It might be something to do with how the game engine handles looped audio especially when the content is maxing out resources, which seems to be an issue with the class 40. Or the source files for the sound just aren’t good enough for seamless looping.

There are some sounds in TSW that loop when they shouldn’t, I’m talking specifically about the sounds for the door closing buttons in multiple unit cabs that loop for as long as the doors take to close instead of sounding just the once for the operation of the button or switch. This only happens when the doors are closed through the pop-up menu, not when actually pressing the button in the cab. I doubt the sound team would leave stuff like that in if there was a way not to, so I think it’s a peculiarity of the game engine. It may be something similar (but different!) with the horn sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere that it had to do with the Unreal engine as well.

6. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty of streams from PC where the horn sounds as it is supposed to.

7. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Think it works okay on PC.