Just Starting A Discussion, Do You Think Multiplayer Would Be Good, Or Even Possible?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AviaStan, Mar 24, 2020.

?
  1. Good.

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Bad.

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. It would be alright.

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. AviaStan

AviaStan New Member

What do you think about multiplayer? There would be rooms that you could join or create (you can put a password on them) and players would do timetables. You would be kicked for idling etc and would have to deal with delays and get stuck behind other player's delays, it could make quite a realistic experience. Would you like this and do you think it's possible?

• Like Like x 1
  2. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

I would personally love to see this. One idea would be forming an "ops" server consisting of a dispatcher and a group of players operating the trains as realistically as possible by calling out their signals, constantly communicating with other trains, track gangs, and the dispatcher. This would definitely be a challenge for some and would require a fair bit of "communications training".

Another idea I've had is a "co-op" capability. You could invite one to two people to join you on a scenario / TT session. I.e in a switching scenario one person would be at the throttle and the other would be riding a car calling out car lengths "2, 1, half a car, that'll do!"

Or during a passenger scenario one could be at the throttle while one person could walk through the cars checking for people's tickets, finding fare evaders would result in some sort of extra credit or points at the end; this idea is straight out of Bus Simulator 18.

I would personally love to see multiplayer though the idea seems to have been forgotten by DTG.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I voted "bad" because it would make TSW an online game and would introduce nasty things like lag. I don't see the point of multiplayer especially if everyone is a driver. Some of Deans.ma's ideas above would make it more worth while if it was implemented properly.

• Like Like x 5
  4. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I guess if it is like an Airport Simulator, and give players the choice to man the signal boxes. I don't know if that would work in TSW.

I choose bad, simply because I don't think this is a game that needs multiplayer.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I also don't think it needs it, and I've outlined what I see as the main issues in this post.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Cutting cars on NEC is awfully hard without a conductor...

• Like Like x 2
  7. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

Factor,

I understand your concern and after reading your linked post I see what you mean.

Multiplayer would definitely not be functional on some routes, i.e Oakville, where the route is barely f*****g playable!

However, on some routes like the Peninsula I believe a multiplayer server could potentially run smoothly as trains operate on a semi-realistic schedule on a pretty lengthy route.

True multiplayer, like what I've described in my original post with a dispatcher, various crews, etc. is definitely a long shot and something that could be very problematic if emplaced wrong (which, of corse it will because DTG!)

I do think a co-op is something DTG should absolutely look into, I would love to play with a few of my friends and make the scenarios more realistic.

-Dean

• Like Like x 4
  8. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I didn't vote because I don't see this as beneficial except as has been mentioned earlier by others re: a proper Brakeman or Conductor to assist you with switching and "on the ground" jobs. But even this could be programmed into the game as a switchable separately operable character or a AI character not needing another player to perform. We already have a them sitting in the cab with us serving no purpose. Why not make them functionable?

I think the idea is interesting, but just not real necessary since most of the game is about the Engineer. Who would really want to sit in the Brakeman or Conductor's seats doing nothing most of the game?

• Like Like x 3
  9. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

BLRy,

I'd only want to do this in a multiplayer scenario.

Agreed, I wouldn't want to be the brakeman for an AI driver- thats no fun! But if my friend was at the controls I'd be more than happy to climb down or ride the shove.

Maybe DTG could add hand signal emotes to players acting as a brakeman/conductor.... just an idea!

-Dean

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

I think it would be good but take a long time to develop so the might take their mind off of making those shiny shiny routes.

11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

It would have to be very tightly controlled to stop people ruining the session (either wilfully or through a lack of knowledge).

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Since I would not use multiplayer, I'm not voting. If it is ever added, I think it should be as a separate entity with a separate name. perhaps just TSW-MP, so that it would not interfere with TSW proper.
    Yes, the fact that TSW forces each of us to take on multiple roles at times can seem ridiculous and unrealistic, but I once participated in a theater class based on "transformational acting", a technique that suits performances in which a single actor either plays multiple characters or a single character with multiple personalities or groups of character traits, so shifting roles from engineer/driver to conductor, switch-man, etc. does not bother me.

And that leads me to this idea: suppose that each player could create multiple avatars: one to suit each task involved in railroading. Most TSW activities begin with the player/engineer, but when manual coupling becomes necessary, an avatar list would pop up and allow the player to select the appropriate role -- or perhaps the appropriate avatar would just change automatically as required by instructions. Just a thought, mind you, that might make TSW more realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

YES EXACTLY!!
    I have thought of this also, and may have even posted it in here as part of another discussion. The ability to switch characters to perform various duties would be the best way to do this IMO. Just like in the various Lego XBOX games.

14. femmerton

femmerton Member

There are people who plays this normally and there are people who don't.

15. gjs

gjs New Member

I'm up for it. Always wondered why not. And like many games you can have an offline and online/multiplayer option.
    So the offliners do not have to be afraid.
    Frankly I'd love to wait at a red signal to watch someone to drive by, and have a chat with the signal box.
    The signal box would be a great extra.

16. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Personally, I think something like this would work best if it took after FiveM for GTAV whether it be officially supported or not. The best experience would come from private, whitelisted servers that emphasize realistic role-play versus a free roam lobby which is every man for himself.

17. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

I really don't see the appeal of being the "other guy" for an entire service or scenario. Checking tickets has to be the most boring job on the railroad.

But I can see why it would be fun to share a living environment with other players. And I do like the idea of jumping around to the other roles when necessary. Seeing a guy actually walk out and change a switch or uncouple cars -- and being able to jump into him -- sounds cool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. matthew.lee.02

matthew.lee.02 Member

I don’t see full online multiplayer having any place in TSW. However, I do see a co-op mode being possible in certain scenarios. CSX Heavy Haul would be pretty cool with co-op. You can have someone help out in switching tracks, help spot when coupling multiple cars and also to take turns driving since the trip from one end to the other is very long.