Dlc 2/3rd The Price Of The Game!!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CFDIEGO88, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

That's not entirely justified. I can also wait 3 months for a sale and new items are not on sale anyway (not counting preorder discount which is just 10%).

2. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I ment any sale,on a consel maybe not ever tsw players buy new content right away but my point was pcer get sales all the time while consel players don't.

3. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

That is ridiculous they do over charge for the routes. The base game costs £25. Then they release dlc routes at £25 then once a year they swap out the route you paid for £25 into the base game and rebrand it known as train sim world 2020. this year train sim 2021.

4. WVUadam

The pricing structure is ridiculous and should be changed.

5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

If you feel that the pricing structure is so ridiculous then what do think it should then, keeping in mind of the following:

Travel and time costs spent seeing the Loco's, Stations, rolling stock and the yards and industries along the route
    Time spent making the Loco's and all other other rolling stock to be included
    Time spent making assets for the route
    Then there is the time it will take to make the route it's self. This includes laying the track the placing of signals, the laying of assets along the route.

All of these take time to do and there a cost to all of this, and it takes a team of people to do it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. WVUadam

If you look at the big budget games they cost alot more than this one to make look at GTA for instance or call of duty or Metro exodus of Like. Or any AAA development title.

I think it would have to be a DLC season pass if there was going to be lots of content released to help keep the cost down for players. Call it the train sim season ticket.
    Few big dlcs a year. With optional locos aswell.
    Season pass £30 a year
    Route price £15
    Locos £8.

7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

But this ISN'T a AAA title, and that's the whole problem. GTA, COD, et al. sell millions and milliions of copies (plus microtransactions and battle passes) to pay for those huge budgets. DTG would have to charge $100+/season to make it work financially and you think people would complain less than they do now?

• Like Like x 3
  8. WVUadam

Dovetail games doesn't just have Train sim you know. They do make other games so they have other revenue streams. If they sold the DLC cheaper it would be more acceptable for what the player is expected to have and sell more.

They should not be allowed to charge DLC at the price of the whole game and that should be addressed.
    They should work on the core gamePlay of the game and get it to work. Currently what we are buying the dlc. Is is a gamble because it's when they swap 2020 to 2021. Like what they did to 2020. they will swap out the dlcs replace it ones you paid full price. If they can sell £75 for 3 dlcs for £25 once a year I think there doing fine.

9. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Get a grip, dude. I've got loads of DLC and I think I've only ever paid full price for one of them. If you don't think it's worth the price, wait for a sale. If it's still not worth it, don't buy it.

Comparing TSW to GTA is utter nonsense. With TSW, you're buying into a niche product. GTA still has 8 million monthly active users, from a total player base of 133 million people and still gets more new players every couple of days than TSW has had in total. Ever.

And no, they don't just have TSW, they also have that weird fishing sim too. You don't think that would also class as a niche product?! (Spoiler alert: more niche than trains).

Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 11.16.07.png Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 11.16.25.png Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 13.37.16.png

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Should not be allowed? By whom, the price police? They can charge what they like and the consumer decides if they want to pay it. Every year they will update the core game for everybody, for free, and bundle that new version with some of the best routes for a big promotional push to get new players for the game. What DLC you buy will be based on what you think is best value and can be based on your personal tastes, reviews, and other personal views you can get from places like this forum. You don’t have to buy everything, or buy it when it is released, that will become very expensive. Wait for sales, buy only what you really want, and don’t expect to get everything in life for a knockdown price. The price of one DLC, even at full price, is fairly reasonable for a small developer creating a niche product. It is not related to, nor can be compared with, the price of new promotional bundles, commonly called the base game, which provide an opportunity and incentive for people who have never played before to get an inexpensive entry into TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  11. WVUadam

It can be compared w
    There not a small developer though considering they started years ago with train simulator. There far bigger than Indie developer. Just looking at some dlc would like to get costs £85. They release dlc very frequently for what your calling a small developer
    Theres over £450 worth of dlc since launch

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Pay the £85 and it’s all yours, or wait for a sale and get them for less.

£85 is not a lot of money for what you would be getting. Train sims aren’t generally the kind of game where you do everything in the game once and then move on to another game or new content. All routes have infinite replay opportunities. £85 worth of DLC could give you months and months of entertainment value, years even.

I spent over £100 for tickets for me and my partner to go and see one 2 hour show in the theatre, in the cheap seats, that’s what you call expensive entertainment! And the theatre has had my money for a year now and I’ve no idea when the show is going to happen with all this lockdown stuff going on, but that’s not important, just putting into perspective the VALUE of things. My gas bill is about £85 every month, so is my partner’s car insurance, and the rent on her art studio. I’d like a new sofa but can’t afford one right now. Some things just cost money. If you want them you have to pay for them. You can save money by waiting for a sale.

Oh, and DTG are a small developer compared to the big game developers some people like to compare them to, like you did earlier in this thread.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Ah the age old flawed argument. There IS no "core game" because what people call the core game has no content. The layout, menus, how to show the map etc, yep but not a single rail or tree...

That's all in the DLC, so when you buy "TSW2020" that's a bundle of DLC with the game engine. When they change the bundle to TSW21 you may well have different routes bundled with the engine, but better a game engine update than what other titles do in different years, which is start again from scratch. In other words the GWE DLC will be the same on TSW19, 20, 21... Same with all the others because the content is in the DLC

So when you pay £25 for a new DLC you're getting everything included in that, the route, the consist, the scenarios... they're all in that DLC and not the core engine

• Like Like x 1
  14. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Man, you're beating a dead horse.

15. WVUadam

There's a alot of replay value and yes recently there was a sale and it's been one of the best ones they did for train sim world on the PC side. Can't say that for console it was rubbish. they have over 140 employees. Small developer or not they are very well funded and able to release dlc very frequently . playground games by themselves are a small studio yet there games work fine. Before being acquired by Microsoft making the comparison here. I brought TSW years ago on Xbox for the founders edition and still enjoy playing it but to get more routes unless goes down dramatically I wait for the game on holidays to drop 50% prefer to play console then gaming laptop.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

There's a good sale happening now on Xbox for limited time. Rhein-Ruhr Osten for example is -41%!

17. russianchip

russianchip Guest

Don’t forget that the fishing simulators for Xbox Box One made by Dovetail Games who make Train Sim World are Xbox One enhanced.

Attached Files:

18. russianchip

russianchip Guest

But then again you can buy TSW as an enhanced game according to the list

Attached Files: