PC Nec New York

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rush12049, Mar 19, 2020.

1. rush12049

rush12049 New Member

Is the NEC route a good route to buy for $12? I bought the Peninsula Corridor route recently, loved that. The steam reviews for NEC mention lots of bugs that still haven't been fixed. I heard somewhere that it was getting reworked? I have the route (New York-New Haven) on TS2020, is this one any different than that one other than graphics and whatnot?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Simple answer is don't buy NEC full price, it's a pretty awful route, but for $12 you might as well

3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't get it.

Ever

Don't think about buying it.

Just look away from it.

Look away.

Ignore it if it starts speaking to you.

4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Imagine building a route with your eyes closed.

There's your answer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think you guys are being unfairly harsh towards good ol NEC:NY

Its not that bad. It does have some outstanding ATC / ACSES issues but it is not like the route is completely unplayable. It is one of the earliest routes so concessions need to be made.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

Yes consessions need to be made, but if they needed to be made, why haven't they? It's more than a year old.

7. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

I feel like most people exaggerate regarding the issues with the NEC. I watched Cactusjuice's criticism videos and there were abysmal errors regarding signalling and the fact that it feels ghostly, but otherwise it looks really nice. I wouldn't buy it full price obviously, but perhaps it is worth it on sale, especially if you're a Northeast Buff like me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

DTG moves on quickly if you know what I mean, they're afraid of breaking stuff and having to waste time fixing older things instead of making new things.

9. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you mean to say "why haven't they fixed them?" ..... well, for the same reason other routes have outstanding niggles as well. The route is completely playable....you are blatantly lying if you say otherwise

• Like Like x 1
  10. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

Every other route has its issues. Obviously. But NEC isn't enjoyable. with or without them. No need to assume because i meant exactly what i said. If a route needs something and dearly, why hasn't it got it's fair share of progressive updates? Giving it more locos and trains is not updating it. And it's been MORE than a year for it to receive the updates it needs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

There's no money in updates unlike new DLC's!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I like the freight services at NEC. The passenger part is not so interesting. I do not own the SW1200, waiting for at least 50% discount, then it may be nice.

13. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

After reading all these complaints, I realized that this was the first route that I had enjoyed back when I first bought the game. I had not played in ages so decided to fire up the route after reading these comments. I had a blast. It was a fun run to Newark International Airport from New Rochelle. The scenery is really nice. My only gripe was the speed limits. At one point they have you go from over 100 kph to 60, then up to 140, then back down to 60 within seconds. Overall, I had a blast driving this run. It was scenic, fast, and able to take my mind of the issues that are affecting the planet today.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

As far as I understand, the speed limits are realistic. This is difficult to understand. It must have been a drunk bureaucrat to design it in this way. Antway, if this is true, the train drivers are suffering this every day. The advantage they may have is a much better route knowledge. For me the long waiting time in New York Penn is the main dissatisfies. You don not always need to be strictly realistic into my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Glad its not just me who finds the US routes speed limits infuriating :D

16. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

So the issue with NEC:NY was simply an implementation problem, at least with regard to signaling. If the signals were implemented properly (they were programmed mostly fine), then it would be a completely different experience.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

There could be money made in updates, because if they actually fixed NEC and made it appealing, then more people would buy it. I was thinking about buying it several times, but all the issues I keep reading about make me not do it.

It's not only really short and buggy, but I also find the ACS-64 really ugly. I like the look of the Amtrak coaches, and especially the look of the control cab from the switcher DLC, but I don't want to drive that loco. With any older Amtrak loco they would look much better I think, and I would be more likely to buy the route.

Btw is that true that it also gives some AI traffic to the New York Penn station onto the LIRR route if you have it?

18. trinancrat

trinancrat Member

No, it does not. Nor does LIRR traffic spawn in the NEC route.

19. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

Closest u ever see Amtrak in a LIRR DLC is few coach cars sitting at Penn Station during the LIRR "Maintenance Maneuver" scenario

20. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

You will not be getting much more if you already have NYC-NH on TS1... you will be getting much less... This route is built in the TS1 style - so.... if you free cam, you will find really horrible builds of freeways, etc... But it is interesting to get the route to directly compare TS1 to TSW at the start.

But I would suggest that you try and find a DVD-ROM of the 2018 version of TSW (on PC)... if you can find it for under $10 somewhere.... and get Rapid Transit (Leipzig express/metro) thrown in as well.... and that route is really good fun.... ;-)

21. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember that one. That's a nice detail, I wonder why they did it only for that scenario only.

22. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

U can actually spawn walk the Hudson river tunnels(that Amtrak and NJ transit use to Jersey and literally end outside the tunnel(New Jersey side) someone told me there were possible plans of something or the idea ran out...why they added that idk if nothing gon run through it...couldve saved space for at least a lil extension on the LIRR route