Testing Dpu (helper-unit) Config On Xbox

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stockton Rails, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Is anyone here in the Xbox forums interested in checking out a working DPU (helper-unit) train configuration in their Hamilton Explorer scenario in Oakville Sub? I’ve got a working 2x2 DPU train config up and running (tested in Hamilton Explorer on my PS4) using a procedure I came up with... and it works as it should. I’m just trying to find out if this same DPU config works on the Xbox and PC platforms as well- and if anyone else here is interested in modeling DPU ops in TSW 2020.

If anyone here is interested in testing this out, please let me know and I’ll add my DPU config to this thread. If folks here are already aware of support for DPU operations on any Xbox TSW routes, I’d definitely like to hear about that as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

Please add- I'm interested!

-Dean

3. Stockton Rails

OK, great... will post the DPU config in a bit. The procedure is actually pretty simple... I have a 3-step procedure and all of the initial engine settings called out in my doc. And the only banking comm radio that’s used (turned on) is in the lead engine in the head-end consist- after all other locos have been configured.

4. Stockton Rails

...here’s the info I promised- pretty sure this should work on the Xbox, but will be great to have folks test this out to be sure. And if it does work, then you’ll have a new type of train to work with in TSW 2020 on your platform.

Note my test train consisted of a 2-unit lead/trail engine pair up front, followed by 10 full tankers, followed by another 2-unit lead/trail engine pair in the middle of the train, followed by another set of 10 full tankers... see specifics on the locos used below. Finally, my testing was done in the Hamilton Explorer scenario in Oakville Sub... have not tried to build this train (yet) in either the Caltrain route (using UP locos) or in the NEC route (using CSX locos).

Procedure:
    • Configure the remote (mid-train) consist first per the settings below, leave both Banking radios off
    • Configure the leading consist next per the settings listed below... once the leading consist is complete, then turn on the Banking radio only in the lead unit of this consist
    • Verify proper operation of the remote consist: it should now throttle up and down in sync with the lead consist (can verify this using in-game cameras near the remote consist)
    Initial Settings:

>> Remote consist (MU’d pair, located mid-train):

Lead engine (CN GP9RM, facing forward):
    Engine Run: On
    Generator Field: On
    Control & Fuel Pump: On
    Throttle: Idle
    Reverser Handle: In (inserted)
    Reverser Setting: Neutral
    Automatic Brake: Handle Off (brakes controlled by lead consist)
    Cut-Out Valve: Cut-Out
    Independent Brake: Release
    MU-2A Valve: Lead or Dead
    Banking Radio: Off (verify the ‘Radio’ circuit breaker is On)

Trailing engine (CN GP38-2, facing rear of train):
    Generator Field: Off
    Reverser Handle: Out (removed)
    Automatic Brake: Handle Off
    MU-2A Valve: Trail 6 or 26
    Banking Radio: Off

>> Lead consist (MU’d pair, located at head of train):

Lead engine (CN GP9RM, facing forward):
    Generator Field: On
    Reverser Handle: In (inserted)
    Automatic Brake: Full Service
    Cut-Out Valve: Freight
    MU-2A Valve: Lead or Dead
    Banking Radio: Off (verify the ‘Radio’ circuit breaker is On)

Trailing engine (CN GP38-2, facing rear of train):
    Generator Field: Off
    Reverser Handle: Out (removed)
    Automatic Brake: Handle Off
    MU-2A Valve: Trail 6 or 26
    Banking Radio: Off

Add’l notes:

The locomotives participating in Banking communication must be the same type- i.e. GP9RM communicating with another GP9RM via radio, GP38-2 with a GP38-2, etc. (still trying to confirm DPU details with DTG tech support... so far no response from them on my initial note)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  5. Stockton Rails

...so Dean, did you ever try out the DPU config? If so, did it work?

6. deans.ma

deans.ma Member

Sorry for the late response- yes I did and yes it worked.

-Dean

7. Stockton Rails

OK, that’s great news. Did you use the in-game camera like I did to verify the helpers in the middle throttle up and down in sync with the lead pair? I appreciate you checking this out on your Xbox for me- with your help we now know the sim supports DPU trains (at least) in Hamilton Explorer in Oakville Sub on both consoles.

I also tried to set up a DPU train using UP GP38-2s in the Caltrain route, and that test was also successful. But because there’s no Hamilton Explorer ‘playpen’ in that route to freely test things out in, the UP ‘journey’ I did my testing in kept changing my loco settings for some reason after I had them configured for DPU. I think creating DPU trains in the sim is really only practical right now in Hamilton Explorer. I wish they had ‘playpens‘ in all of the routes so folks could freely test things out in any route... I might actually submit a feature request for that.

P.S. I also discovered, after saving my Hamilton Explorer scenario with my functional DPU train, that the DPU operation no longer worked after restoring this saved game. I then discovered all I had to do was turn the Banking radio in the lead unit at the front of the train off then back on, and this restored DPU operation. Just a heads-up in case you ever run into this.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  8. Stockton Rails

...some pics of my current DPU train saved in Hamilton Explorer (with added buffer cars where they should be- unfortunately no way to fill them with ballast). Just thought you might like to check these out.

C7F65F0D-E22B-4EEA-88C0-D7A9C9A24CC9.jpeg

A156BD74-1074-4F8B-963B-80CBB119FCD9.jpeg

BE3A84E8-EF83-4AE3-89A3-4457C211E236.jpeg