Randomized Events

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jack.kuiper.18, Apr 22, 2020.

1. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

I know that a lot of people have wanted randomized late trains, which I cannot agree with more. With this feature, however, it would also become necessary for the late trains to take a siding to let the other, higher priority train pass. For example, if a Caltrain local was running late, and a Baby Bullet train was on its tail, then wouldn't it make sense for the local to take the siding at Millbrae while the Baby Bullet passed him, so that the Baby Bullet's schedule wasn't reliant on the ETA of the local?

Also, how about track maintenance on the right-of-way, with restricted speeds outside the confines of two massive terminals? Another Peninsula Corridor example, but what if the southbound track was being worked on at Sunnyvale, so all southbound trains had to be rerouted onto the northbound track, potentially causing "realistic" delays. And what if the four signals governing each end of the MOW showed restricted speed aspects? This would be fun, in my opinion! It adds realism, and makes the schedule harder to adhere to. Implementing this feature would also mean to have animated workmen standing on the track and be penalized for not blowing your horn to warn them.

Lastly, what about hazards fouling the track without signal protection? This would force the driver to use his emergency brake, which otherwise would never be used. Now, I know that some people may hate this idea, but I also know that some of us need even more realism in operation.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
  2. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Yeah that would be the best

• Like Like x 1
  3. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Well I'm not one. I like your suggestions. I've often mentioned a bit of timetable randomness would be beneficial.

However I did recently see Matt explaining that he'd like AI trains to have delays and maybe not run at line speed every time but at the moment it would be awkward. Because of the randomness not all events could be tested for so unwanted results could occur. I can see the reasoning behind this. It wasn't completely disregarded though and new developments and ideas might help. So maybe one day...

• Like Like x 1
  4. jaesynthetikvita

jaesynthetikvita Member

I agree, for the sake of immersion!
    I too, have thought of MOW work being a great addition to the detail of the game, and offering more challenge to us.
    As well as other random real world challenges, like maybe hot boxes, or an occasional broken knuckle, for instance.
    I understand the companies that DTG gets rights from to make the game, doesn't like their name on virtual train wrecks (which, at least would offer up a great challenge for those of us that want realism), but maybe just throwing in a random "technical issue" would be kinda neat!

5. jack.kuiper.18

I never thought of it that way, but that is an excellent point.

This is another great idea. Perhaps defect detectors or roll-by inspections that find an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I fully understand why we cannot have derailments in the simulation as it is apart of the agreement with rail company's. But maybe instead we can have trains that break down in a block ahead of you, then you would switched over the another track when clear to go around that train.

I also like the idea of defect detectors along the route that could randomly give you a no defects or a random failure that would make you stop in the next block to clear the issue. Roll-by as a train departs a yard is also a good add to the simulation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jack.kuiper.18

Or even fires or other natural disasters to "intentionally" hamper the flow of the schedule?

• Like Like x 2
  8. jaesynthetikvita

jaesynthetikvita Member

Even soft derailments would be nice.
    Like, having to balance empty trains around tight curves, without "string lining" them... Too much power, and some cars end up running on the ground.
    Make you have to walk back and use air jacksto retail them, or deploy de/rerailers.
    I love the games, but the lack of real world challenges leaves it a little anticlimactic.
    lol

• Like Like x 1