PlayStation Why We Love This Game

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ildario77, Apr 30, 2020.

1. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Hi there. This is a question that often comes to my mind. I bought TSW in August, and since then this is by far my most played game ever. I bought every single DLC, spent a lot of money, and I'm still mysteriously attracted by this game, far beyond its merit. And it seems a lot of other players feel the same. TSW is a bunch of bugs, glitches, poor coding, etc. etc. etc. But we're still here. Why? I love the immersion, the feel I'm virtually traveling around the world. I love landscapes, weather conditions, and trains, of course. Why do you still love it? Despite DTG ;)

• Like Like x 12
  2. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I personally love the game because:
    - On Console
    - Great graphics
    - Extremely Detailed
    -How you can change time and Weather (lots of options).
    -Detail of routes and trains
    -Immersion
    -Service Mode - so you feel like its not just you
    Cons
    - some occasionally bugs
    - need more dlc to give more options (but they doing more DLC, its just a new game)
    I dont mind bugs or glitches, just as long as they dont break the game and get fixed.

• Like Like x 7
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s because it is, despite some issues, rather brilliant. I also got it in August, have bought a lot of DLC (not all of it) and get daily enjoyment from it. I don’t have any other games because I’m not interested! I’m piggybacking on my partner’s PS4.

I don’t think I could ever tire of driving the trains, even doing the same route over and over, and I love the way it all looks. I’d been waiting for this kind of realistic, driving orientated train simulator for years. I’d had Trainz for a few years but TSW is a lot better. I’ve done my fair share of moaning about some of the issues but none of the kind of complaining about what the game actually is (that lots of others do), because that’s spot on.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I could not agree more with that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

It allows me to revisit my youth, a simpler and purer time when trains were magical, the door slammer EMUs went clackety clack over the joints in the rails on the west coastway at the bottom of my grandparents garden, and the diesels hauling freight were things of wonder. If TSW captures even a fraction of that nostalgia and what sometimes feels like an almost lost sense of childhood excitement then what's not to love :) There's something timeless about the railways, even as they modernise, and I'll sometimes get lost in a reverie thinking about such and such. Its powerful stuff sometimes. Pretty too if one just walks along the track.(in game)..

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  6. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I also bought this game in August (29th to be exact - my birthday!)
    I've put in nearly 13 days worth of gameplay, and own many of the DLC's; and I'm the kind of guy that rarely buys DLC.

My first impressions of TSW was absolutely incredible, it's very rare that video games blow me away these days. The only other time I felt this way was when I played the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 beta on the Xbox 360 for the first time. I got that exact same feeling with TSW. I was so excited to learn the loco's and the routes. Just operating the F40PH-2 was an experience!
    I bought a special edition of TSW that came with the Peninsula Corridor.
    I spent a couple of months playing only the Peninsula Corridor, until I completed everything, then moved onto another route.

I love TSW!
    Here are some reasons:
    1. We finally have a train simulator on consoles. This is a dream come true!
    2. TSW is educational, in that you learn some of the topography of the routes/locations and loco's. This has led me to research more about the routes, locomotives and industry of trains.
    3. The locomotives are beautifully built. I've always wanted to drive a train and become a train engineer. Now I can live it out!
    4. Immersion, especially with a headset. TSW transports you completely.
    5. Lots of content, and replay-ability. DLC in other video games may be about four small maps, with a few added weapons or something. In TSW, we get one or two fully working loco's, with a big detailed route.
    6. TSW community on the forums, Xbox & Twitch. This is a big one for me, and generates a lot of excitement. Watching Dmitri or Matt stream is a highlight of my days off.
    7. The developers have been transparent and open, and interact so much with the community. This goes for both DTG and Rivet Games.
    8. DTG & Rivet Games are passionate about trains. When Rivet Games introduced the DB BR 204 loco on YouTube and showed off the 3D model, you can see the amount of work and detail that goes into these locomotives. This enthusiasm and excitement is great! This goes for the DTG streams as well, especially when they introduce some new content. Very exciting.
    9. Sense of accomplishment. No joke, I feel proud when completing a journey with PZB & Sifa on. :)

I could go on, but I wrote too much!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I initially bought it last August when I saw the picture on the PSN store - specifically the 45, I'm not a mad train fan or anything but I used to commute daily on the NTP in the late 80s to early 90s and I used to love the sounds and smells of the peaks and 47s on the route. So I bought TSW and have since found myself enjoying almost all of the routes and locos on it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I like this game for many reasons:
    • it's a multiplatform game (not only for PC players)
    • most realistic train simulator graphic by using the Unreal Engine 4
    • very detailed 3D train models and driver's cabins (almost every switch can be used)
    • a lot of DLC content already available or in production (welcome Rivet Games)
    • good implementation of the landscapes and routes (realistic vegetation and landmarks)
    • dirty and scratchy surfaces (wear effect), graffiti paintings and garbage, which gives the world more realism
    • complex track and signal systems and original long routes (easy to compare with Google Maps)
    • also a walking simulator (open world feeling)
    • big community and regular updates (bugs must be eliminated)
    • and most important: it makes fun to play! ;)

• Like Like x 4
  9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Because trains.
    Actually no. Because DTG.

I had Microsoft train sim and others when they first came out way back when I was into PC gaming. When "I saw the light" :) and moved onto console gaming I missed train sim-ing hugely. Despite TSW's flaws it has more overriding plusses and now thanks to DTG I'm experiencing the experience once again on console. I'd put a hand clapping emoji here, but there isn't one.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

I've known Trainsims since MSTS and missed it so long and very much. So I was all the more surprised that something like TSW is now also available for consoles? That really blew me away! That was love at first sight - even if I had difficulties at first and besides the bugs, the pitfalls were unknown. But you get to know each other over time ... :love:

Over time, I realized the real bugs and my own mistakes. And was glad that there were three major updates in quick succession. I lost my entire profile after the last update - just three days after buying more DLC! :o

As a buyer of the most expensive version - Collectors Edition (Disc), Mastery is also closed to me. And also the new DLC from Rivet-Games. :(

So I invested a lot, but I didn't get anything like love back ...

Today I only play just for fun and maybe I'll be able to take part in the Mastery or buy the Rivet DLC soon.

So over with the great love, at my age you don't really believe in it anymore. But good, for a little bit of fun here and there, its still fine. It finally cost me a lot. :|

But what I really like very much is the great community here! Thanks everyone, stay healthy and have a great day! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  11. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Great contributions, thanks! Yep, I agree with all of your thoughts. I'm not a simulation hardcore fan, so I don't pay much attention on realistic signals and so on. I prefer immersion, landscape realism, free roaming... That's why lack of smoothness, poor frame rate and short draw distance always drive me nuts. Then I saw some Train Simulator 2020 videos on YouTube and I said: "Well, TSW is not that bad after all..."

• Like Like x 3
  12. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I bought TSW for Xbox when it came out as the founder's edition. At that time there were only GWE. After that I bought all stuff till MSB. Than I changed to PS4. Because on PS4 I can make memories of my drives on YouTube and the PS4 controller for me is more ergonomic. I own all TSW stuff there too, except the GP40-2, because I made a mistake and didn't bought the old TSW digital edition.

My use of TSW is the following:

1. If a new route comes out, I do the trainings and scenarios first to get real familiar with the new vehicles.

2. When I finished that, I use each time an other route and an other train. That gives me extremely variety.

For me TSW driving is like to make vacation on nice places with iconic trains. But there's a big difference. You can control the trains self. And especially with activated safety systems it gives you a simular experience a real traindriver has.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I had an electric train set (the only one I remember from back in the day)... I would set it up, play with it, make up stories about it, get my head right down there next to the train track on the floor and watch my train roll by. TSW 2020 has become my new train set... it takes up no space in my house or on the carpet (and the wife sure does like that)- and I also have it tied into my home theater system (with a sub) for an even more realistic experience. And you also have all of the ‘things’ you need to learn about in order to operate this new train set- like engine startup/shutdown procedures, braking systems, using throttle and braking effectively, signaling systems, HEP startup and shutdown, MU and even DPU (unit) train operation. Wow- I never had the chance to do any of that before, and I’ve certainly learned a lot as a result... all of that sounds pretty ‘immersive’ to me!

I also used to do a fair bit of rail-fanning in my area much later in life, watching and filming passenger and freight trains passing by... and TSW 2020 offers this experience as well through its ‘spectator’ mode. I can save videos of my visits to various train-spotting locations in the sim, or do full-HD screenshots from time to time- even posting some of these in the DTG forums. That’s just one more way for me to enjoy my time with this sim. I’ve been ‘playing’ it literally every day for the last month and a half (since I first purchased it)... despite some issues that need to be addressed, it's still doing a lot of things right in my book.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Growing up my younger brother was always the train nut in the family (and still is). He build's trains out of Lego and is currently appearing on Lego Masters Australia Season 2. This is one of the models he's built:

[​IMG]
    So, he's the one that got me into enjoying trains so much and why I like TSW and other train related games.

• Like Like x 7
  15. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Very nice model of the famous crocodile loco. I had that loco in ocean blue DB livery for my 1:120 scale model railway.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trainzdriver328

Trainzdriver328 Active Member

it is a good model! Is that the Swiss version?

• Like Like x 1
  17. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

TRAINS......The only train sim consoles have right now and this is as close as I'm going to get to drive a real train.

• Like Like x 2
  18. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

Why do I love the game? Well when else will I be able to have a beer and drive a class 37!? :)

I remember having the Microsft Train Sim game on PC and for a couple of years I was into BVE, anybody else play that?
    But my PC gaming days have died off and I don't really want to invest in a high spec PC. The PS4 is where I spend any gaming time now and having a train simulator on it has been a game changer.

I don't claim to know the ins and outs of how a something as complex as TSW is created and developed and whilst there is room from improvements I am genuinely grateful Dovetail have made this simulation available to console.

Favourite routes so far have been East Coastway, TVL and NTP.

• Like Like x 3
  19. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Why do I like the game.
    For me Its Trains
    I get to virtually drive a choice of locos and units from around the world, Something that in real life I will never do.
    I have all the DLC (yes I am skint lol)
    It gives me hours of fun and I do mean hours of fun, I just did an 8 hours stream on the
    Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr route, See below .
    The locos and rolling stock and routes look authentic and drive as to their real world counterparts should.... well all apart from the NTP Class 47's.
    Plus you can Thrash the ass off the locos.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 4
  20. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Good stuff Hentis, have subscribed to your channel.

• Like Like x 2
  21. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Simple ->

• Like Like x 1
  22. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Thank you Simon its appreciated :)

23. MBTA

MBTA New Member

I love this game because this was literally my childhood dream. I started off playing MSTS. In 2005 Microsoft announced MSTS 2, and it had ground breaking features like passengers entering and leaving the train. Sadly the project got scrapped.

I feel like this game is a true successor to MSTS 2. This game is so awesome!

• Like Like x 2