PC Weight And Length Of A Train

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by montes_1234, May 7, 2020.

1. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

Would be great to know the weight of a consist either if it is passenger cars or freight cars. Also to have some info about the length of whole consist.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I agree, I have been looking for this as well

3. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Been asking for this one for a long time!

4. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

And what is the answer, please

5. StratPlayer62

Well if we are still asking for it I would assume that means that it has not been added to the game yet.

6. montes_1234

Than what's the point of this type of communication. First of all we don't even know if anyone from DTG are reading this. Than we also don't know if anyone from DTG is even interested in this kind of suggestions, or this exists just for us to have a meaningless conversation. But clearly we don't see any interest from them to actively connect with this community. They never answer to any suggestion. And than expects from us to like their add-ons. Than this clearly is some big Mumbo jumbo (pointless conversation).

7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They are always watching you. Not the government, tin hatters, DTG. Their community manager has left the building but he will be replaced. The community manager’s job includes reading what is posted on the forum, collating feedback and suggestions. Imagine how tedious it would become if after every post the community manager posted something like this...

“Thank you for your post. We have listened to your feedback and are currently looking into it. We continue to strive for excellence in everything we do so please continue to add your suggestions and comments here.”

I’d say it would become very tedious very quickly. The forum is one of many places where feedback is gathered. Forum, facebook, twitter, twitch, youtube, player surveys, steam reviews. Just reading them all could be a full time job. Writing individual replies would just take too long. That doesn’t mean they aren’t taking note. They are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In terms of length, all you have to do is use the 2 or 3 view and count. As far as I know, there's no way to determine overall train weight in TSW.

9. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

A few answers from time to time, on sensitive subjects, would calm the spirits.
    Rather than this dead silence ......

• Like Like x 3
  10. montes_1234

Yes Exactly, we would know that they are listening and that this is important to them. In this way this just looks and feels pointless like conversation with deaf-mute. Also this silence are killing the enthusiasm and hope of the community that something will be taken in to consideration.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  11. StratPlayer62

Many jobs are tedious, but they are still done because they need to be done, that is a lame excuse for DTG.

A forum is supposed to be a place for communication, and unless I'm mistaken this forum is supposed to be DTG's official place for communication, however maybe I'm mistaken. I know that sending in a ticket is the "preferred" way to report specific problems, however the times I have submitted a ticket, I got very little to no help. Often I had to send messages two or three times just to get a response, and when I did get a response I could tell the response was copied and pasted from pre-composed responses, and the general attitude of any verbiage that happened to be composed for my particular problem had an attitude of apathy behind it.

I would never ask for a detailed response to every request or suggestion, but some occasional interaction from DTG would be welcome and at least give the impression that they somewhat care about their customer even if they do not.

I'm honestly quite disgusted with DTG at the moment, especially after how they handled the whole Oakville Sub fiasco. Because of the lockdown I've had more time at home than I've had since I was a child (sad to say that was a LONG time ago) and I haven't played TSxx or TSW once during this time. Every time I think of loading it up and running a scenario I get frustrated with how we are being treated as customers, and that isn't what a train simulator is supposed to be about. A train simulator is supposed to be about the enjoyment of operation a train, not being annoyed about how much money you have given to a company and then get treated poorly by that company. And it is not supposed to make you frustrated about bugs that never get fixed, and even worse don't even get acknowledged that they exist.

In some ways I wish TSW had never been created. I used to really enjoy running TSxx, and I spent a LOT of money on DLC for it, at least $500 USD. And then TSW came along and showed all of this potential of what a Train Simulator could be, it promised more realism, greatly improved graphics, and the ability to actually explore and interact with the world you are in, in many ways it made TSxx seem like an old arcade game. However it continues to miss the mark, overly short routes, bugs that persist, no editor to even create scenarios. So for me TSW in many ways made TS less fun to play, but TSW continues to disappoint because even after all of this time it still lacks so much, so now both versions just leave me disappointed.

Is TSW getting better? YES. But it has taken far too long, and too little emphasis is placed on making it better and instead is placed on putting out new DLC with the same old problems over and over again.

Will I play it again at some point? Probably, sadly their are few options out there for us who enjoy doing this. Will I be spending any more money on DLC? Doubtful. It is going to have to be something really special for me to even consider it.

I know posts like this are frequent on this forum, I've thought about posting my version of it for a while but kept saying to myself, "why bother, it will just fall on deaf ears". But when someone posts that DTG shouldn't have to acknowledge the concerns of their customer's just because it is tedious to do so? WOW.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A very clear assessment of the feeling a lot of people here have. I wasn’t saying that they shouldn’t have to reply, I was just saying the kind of reply we would get, might end up becoming tedious. I’d hope for better responses but I’m also mindful of the time all that would take for the community team responding to many individual posts.

Hopefully from what Dmitri said in his stream about not only himself being replaced but a new post for a head of community was in some way to help with the communication problems, including more information and feedback from the company to the players through the forum, and maybe a return to having studio updates, and some insight into how and why things are being done the way they are. It’s not easy to watch all the youtube streams all the way through to get answers to questions from Matt about why a certain thing is the way it is. That information would be better placed here on the forum or in an article.

Some important information passes through a “Matt said, Dmitri said, Sam said...” wormhole to the larger community. That’s not good enough. Why not have a detailed post here on the forum or on their website about why x can’t be fixed, or how devs are working on y and getting good results. That all takes time to write but even a monthly dev update would be better than nothing. I also think that would be better than individual responses to posts on the forum, as they can easily get lost in the many pages of some threads.

I may sometimes give the impression that I don’t want things to improve, or that I’m perfectly happy with the way things are, but that’s not the case. I just like to look at things from both angles and understand why things might be the way they are. That often looks like I’m blindly defending DTG on everything, but with the almost constant torrent of sometimes exaggerated hatred they get, I like to give a more balanced response. I also want things to improve but I do also see that DTG are listening and taking things on board, although more slowly than everybody wants. I’ve learnt that from a development point of view a good idea on the forum might take 18 months to actually appear in the game, once it’s passed through all the right departments, been approved, scheduled for development, developed, tested and released. That is a long wait and it’s true that we don’t get to know any of that is happening until something is released. I fully understand how frustrating that is, especially for people who have had TSW right from the start. They have done an awful lot of waiting.

The Oakville fiasco was a low point and I think DTG got a well deserved battering here on the forum. I would hope that they read every post on that subject very closely and I hope they learned good lessons from it. That wasn’t just a forum thing, that was a fail in route building and all communication, including all the marketing, that at worst looked dishonest, and at best, incompetent. I hope we never see that kind of thing ever again. I certainly look more closely at each DLC before buying it now.

• Like Like x 8
  13. montes_1234

For me its not how long we are waiting for something to happen. but will it happen or if anybody at least are taking into consideration different things that are here proposed. If we just knew that they are willing to listen than the feel of lost connection would be lowered.
    But on the other hand this is some serious conversation that shows how passionate the community is about this product to succeed and to get better. I think that in the end everybody will surely benefit from listening each other. After all this is those type of product that is always in development and that is why we feel the need for conversation and better connection with its creators.

14. StratPlayer62

I certainly didn't mean any disrespect to you with my post, and I may have misunderstood your intent. I'm also not familiar with your other posts, but from how I read it, it seemed you were saying that DTG shouldn't have to respond or communicate on the forum because it would become tedious to do so. Again if that is not what you mean I am sorry.

I enjoyed your last post and agree.

Regarding Dmitri, nothing against him personally, but he did not seem like a good fit for the position. He openly said when he took the position that he had no experience or really any interest in trains, to me for that position it almost seems to be a requirement. On the streams that I watched where he was a part of, he honestly didn't seem that interested and looked as if he would rather be anywhere else but where he was. Maybe I'm totally wrong but that was what I saw.

I've seen a few community managers come and go here, it seems at first they are active in the forum then they just seem to fade away. I don't know if this is DTG management restricting what they can do, or if they just get so overloaded with work they don't have the time to have much interaction with the forum. Again I could be completely wrong but that is the impression I get, and right or wrong isn't what the customer/end user feels of some importance when you are trying to sell them a product?

I can certainly understand why DTG doesn't want to provide a lot of details of what is going on behind the scenes, you don't want to promise something then not be able to deliver. But just some simple acknowledgement of problems would go a long way. Something like "We know this locomotive doesn't do XYZ, or it has a problem with whatever", however if we try to repair it, it will break every scenario ever created for it, or it would require more work than starting from scratch on a new locomotive. We promise we have learned from our mistake and promise to do our best to not have this problem going forward in any future DLC". Or how about "We see that several people have reported this particular problem on this particular locomotive, and once the next DLC is released we are going to assign a team to fix it". People appreciate communication and acknowledging problems, I've managed service departments for years and now run my own business that interacts with multiple customers on a daily basis, so I do happen to know a little bit about this.

Well enough for now, I know this horse has been beaten way more than any poor dead horse should have been.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, I could tell because of the rest of the content in your post, there was no disrespect there. My original post was easy to misinterpret, or rather I missed out a winky face or two. I enjoy reading all points of view here, especially thoughtful and knowledgeable posts like your own, and I agree with lots of things people say and keep saying. I do feel sorry for the horse, even though he’s been dead for quite some time now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

DTG’s communication is and always has been abysmal.

It’s the same old story. A new community manager comes in and for the first few months the communication is actually quite decent. But it then soon goes downhill with questions and queries going unanswered and not a DTG soul in sight on these forums. Only to post announcements or competition threads. Just how it is today.

It’s a rinse and repeat process.

I don’t see them changing this anytime soon as this is how they’ve been operating for as long as I can remember.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

great thread so far, I like the constructive atmosphere :)

I'm now one year on board and have to admit, you are right. I play TSW almost daily, it's somehow already an anchor point in my daily routine, especially since I work from home since months now and used to ride my beloved BR422 every day to the office ... now the ingame sound brings me joyful memories ...

But I took a step back a couple of days ago and realized I spent more than 500€ on TSW now. Like ... wow! And back to the quote - I'm starting become selective in buying new DLC from a quality point of view. And I think this is the only method how we as a community get back more attention from DTG maybe. Answering with our wallets. Maybe some manager will start asking questions why the sales are dropping. I don't know. Maybe "they" spectate the forums but are ordered to stay quiet. Matt disappeared after two weeks of regular posting here, too (from posting in the forums).

I dislike this strange information strategy more and more. Mentioning something in an two hour long stream and never sharing anything like "a normal game development company" is so ... strange. Parallel community with Discord, why?
    This all wouldn't have to be like it is, and that makes me a little bit angry, since I really want TSW to succeed because somehow I obviously enjoy the game and spend huge amounts of my time playing it (sometimes with my cat "helping").

• Like Like x 3
  18. montes_1234

In terms of miscommunication, maybe they are overwhelmed with the amount of suggestions that are being put on the forum. But than again everyone would benefit from this communication. They could from time to time review this proposals or just read it and make some comments on them, especially because some suggestions are continuously being repeated, just by a different members. Than they could say if even something is of interest to them because if like this it seems that the improvements which the community is interested in are of no importance to them but important is just to release some dlc. This looks disrespectful. Better communication with this community is even of greater importance or interest because this community is seriously interested for this product to succeed but that would happen if they start to implement even the smallest things that are missing from the game. If same strategy continues we would just have the same feeling with every single dlc that is that they just throwing at us different landscapes and different looks inside the cab. Every time it feels like it has been already seen if there is no improvement to the core elements of the game.