Ts20: The Clinchfield Cometh!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 7, 2020.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

Now available for Train Simulator is the fabulous Clinchfield Railroad, the spectacular coal-hauler of America’s Appalachian Mountains!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 7
  2. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I can't wait to try it out tonight!

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Is the link broken? Doesn't work for me

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

The issue is with the link and certificates hopefully they can have it resolved soon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Adam Palmer

Adam Palmer Active Member

Ok, I've tried out the route and here's what I have to say:
    Overall I really like it, the scenery is very well done and there's plenty of opportunities for operations. My only gripes are I wish some of the rolling stock was lettered for Clinchfield, like the coal hoppers and caboose. Other than that and the usual sound stuff, though I do appreciate the different horns, I quite enjoy this route and look forward to whatever workshop scenarios and scenario packs that come.

6. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Had this been for Tsw I would have bought it at once

7. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

What can I say, the route looks actually pretty good. The only bad part is the rolling stock. The GP38 is really just the same old rehashed GP38-2 from the N-Line. Even to the point where if you sound the horn, some ditchlight child objects can be seen flashing! The SD40s are really just SD40-2s. This is seen by the long frame of the SD40-2 on this model. The original SD40 had a shorter frame and lack of porches, the little area in front of the locomotive. [​IMG]
    Here is a PRR SD40 to compare.
    The GP9 and F7 are the same olds we've had for years.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  8. andrew.umlauft1

andrew.umlauft1 Member

The gp7 and f7 do not have the same sounds as years prior. The ctrl-tab for the sd40 does not work at all. Overall I love the route and it captures the feel of West Virginia.

9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I don't think that's entirely true, I compared the SD40 from this route to SD40-2's from Livonnia, Donner Pass, and Searchlight Simulations, and there are differences in the Porch Space on the back of the locomotive between the DTG/RSC models, as well as the overall frame length (Dash 2's were 3ft longer than the standard EMD SD38,40's and 45's)
    From Left to right (SS,Liv,Donner,Clinchfield) Screenshot_Clinchfield Railroad - Elkhorn City to St Paul_36.91131--82.29973_12-01-17.jpg
    Screenshot_Clinchfield Railroad - Elkhorn City to St Paul_36.91090--82.29975_12-00-26.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

well looks like DTG have been spared in this regard...

11. Richard S. Small

Richard S. Small New Member

I like the route over all but there are some bugs that I hope you will address very soon. first is the absents of any warning when the speed limit changes from 30mph to 15mph. Even in Emergency stop it burns up over 800 pts. to get the train slowed up enough to stop loosing points. Also, when the spd lmt goes up there is often no warning of that either. There are times when it shows a tractor trailer going down the road sideways.

• Like Like x 5
  12. jstammer56

jstammer56 New Member

Hi Richard S Small:

New poster here.

I too find the lack of warnings in change in speed limits as troublesome. My other problem is with the sudden need to stop the train completely, half-way through the scenario. I can't remember the exact name-place of where, but it occurs when the track goes from one track to three; and no matter what action I try to perform to get the train to go forward, I can only get it to go in reverse. Has this occurred to anyone else and if so, how did you manage to solve this dilemma?

13. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Do any of those coal loaders actually load coal and, if so, does the package include an activity in which coal is loaded?

14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I know I was doing a scenario a few nights ago where a pair of scenarios require you to load a coal train by going to different coal loading sites.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've been a fan of loading ever since the early years of Railroad Simulator, the grandparent of TS and TSW and have been hesitating about whether to acquire Clinchfield.

16. n2wj

n2wj New Member

I need some help here. I'm new using TS2021 but not with following directions. I'm using the Clinchfield Coal: Part 1 scenario and am also experiencing the speed limits changing without any warnings which is prohibiting me from really enjoying the scenario. I'm watching the speed limit flags and double checking the signal lights and can't for the life of me understand why the speed limits suddenly drop without warning. If I'm missing something please set me straight....and if there is a bug in the program PLEASE fix it for us. It's so darn frustrating.
    Thank you.

17. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

There is an unmarked 15 MPH speed restriction at Berta. You just gotta know the route a little more.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Michael Newbury

Agreed all it really comes down too is learning the route and where you need to slow down.

• Like Like x 1
  19. n2wj

n2wj New Member

I really appreciate the responses. Being new to TS I have been learning all I can and didn't expect Clinchfield Coal: Part 1 to have any hidden obstacles like that.... but now I know. Does anyone know of a hint repository that can help with hidden gems like the 15 MPH limit at Berta? Thank you.

20. Michael Newbury

I know it can be frustrating best way to learn is to take pass through either in Standard or in Free Roam is available and can get a better idea where you would need to slow down. Than once you have it figured out you can go into Career and and do a run, with what you have learned.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. n2wj

n2wj New Member

Thank you for the tip Michael. I appreciate it.

22. Michael Newbury

You're welcome that is what we are here for to help one another like this.