Revise The 2d Map

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Coppo, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Coppo

Coppo Well-Known Member

It would be really helpful if the 2D map could be revised to include the names of the stations/ yards.
    It is sometimes a bit hit & miss trying to find a particular station to either spawn a walking session, or just to see how many stops there are left to complete a scenario#.
    Many Thanks
    John

• Like Like x 18
  2. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I'd also like this; stations, yards, possibly junctions.

Wouldn't have to large text either, just a small nameplate or something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nox

Nox Member

Throwing in my support for this idea; I agree, it would be much more helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah this was something I really liked in Railworks. If labeled abundantly and accurately, the player could learn a lot about the route.

Another thing that would be neat is if a certain area could be labeled. What I mean is like draw a polygon on the map (a square for instance) and give that entire "area" a name that would show up on the 2d map. This would be useful for designating an entire area as a yard.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

The 2D map is much improved, the highlighted switches are easier to see, I would like to see names of stations and landmarks as well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I think a decent way to show names would be with the named area idea, but combining that with the TS17 way of doing things, so when you are zoomed out you only see the area for say "Acton Yard" zoom in a bit more and the label turns into "Acton Yard" with an "Acton Aggregates" one near the aggregate unloader tracks, zoom in even more and you can see labels on individual tracks like "Acton Yard Track 1" "Acton Aggregates Unloading Siding."

With they kind of setup you can get a nice balance of getting the general names of places while also getting the specifics when you need them.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  7. 37114

37114 Active Member

I feel the map would greatly improved if it was a schematic layout such as in signalling diagrams as it would make it much easier to navigate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Yes put names of stations and other landmarks so I know where I am. Give us a little of the TS 2D map.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I agree. The route map should be able to show much more details about the route. TS17's map is perfectly adequate, although some Google Maps like behaviour when zooming would be nice.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I prefer the TS2017 map to the TSW one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Definitely desirable.

12. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

Agree or even make the map look like a satellite view with some details like roads,bridges,crossings

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Very good suggestion! I hope, if DTG will do something about, that the name will not be only at the middle of track, but also at both ends for better orientation during switching (if you zoom in). The track navigation (road intication) should be improved too, now it show the way to mission objective, but it like to disappear. Loco based track navigation like TS20XX is better. They could change colours at 2D map as well for more contrast, like in TS or create the setup option for it.

14. MrKicker

MrKicker New Member

I agree that the 2d map needs revision. One thing that I'd like to see is a shortcut key to open the map instead of having to open it through the escape menu.

I've also noticed a bug where when you open the map you can only operate one track switch before closing the map again. If you attempt to operate more switches, only the last switch would actually work.

15. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

The shortcut is there > key 9 (or custom)

• Helpful Helpful x 1