Tsw: Island Electrics!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 14, 2020.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Written by: Gary Dolzall.

Budd-built M3 EMUs have served the Long Island Rail Road for more than three decades – and now these electric classics come to Train Sim World!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 9
  2. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Kind of nice seeing Some Ai M3’s locomotives on Suburban sunset scenario, Race day scenario and probably kings and Queens scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  3. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Thanks dtg team

• Like Like x 4
  4. matthew.lee.02

matthew.lee.02 Member

Where can I find the manual? Its not on the steam page

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

There’s no manual with this DLC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Nice dlc yes, although if ur purchasing on Xbox be aware that many ppl on Xbox have been having issues with the loco appearing in their inventory, that is, the trains they own, as well as the route itself, idk if this is also seen on ps4 players:(

7. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Precisely. 0/3 on recent NA manuals

Its needed as well. People leaving bad reviews bc they dont understand some things. Namely the doors

• Like Like x 4
  8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I've seen people leaving comments about the doors not being able to be opened unless you have at least 50% brake. Is this a bug or how it is IRL ? Curious to know...I'm sure Louis will be able to confirm

afaik Its the only DMU/EMU in TSW that has this behavior

• Like Like x 2
  9. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I notice the door will open when the train is in Max Brake. I am not sure if it is a bug or not but the M2/M4 in TS2020 does not have a brake requirement to lock the door.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Interesting....so it's either a bug in TSW or TS2020 doesn't simulate it correctly. Louis...where are you ???? :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. malikrthr

I think it is a bug. The other trains in TSW or TS2020 do not function like that. I do like that addition though with max brake enabled to open the doors.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It makes sense from a safety standpoint to have this lockout.....but if the real life M3 does not do this, I think I would prefer it not to be there in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  13. malikrthr

I just finished one of the scenarios for the M3. It appears that the doors can be closed in other break notches other than 10. I was able to close the doors for the M3 while my brake was in notch 8.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yep..but that isn't the 'issue' people are reporting. They are saying the doors are unable to be opened whilst under 50% braking (so notch 1,2,3 or 4)

• Like Like x 1
  15. malikrthr

I see, I have to look more into the manual to understand if it is an issue with forward doors or rearward doors not activating while break is in notch 1-4, along with the door control set in door/comm and comm. If that is the case, it seems it could be a bug but like you said, it could be for safety reasons too. Maybe there will be a patch for the M3. It is a great DLC. There are small issues I notice such as possibly recycled M7 horn, door closing sound. I wonder if there is any info somewhere that explains more on the function or operation of the door motors for the M3. What door motors do the M3 use? I can assume it is similar to the M1/M2/M4 and M6 cosmopolitans.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think they use the same horn irl.

• Like Like x 2
  17. larrycv43

larrycv43 Member

The Horn in the M3 is accurate. If you have the window open on the M3 in PS4 the horn is very low. The door bell in the M3 is accurate as well.

I was a commuter for many years on the LIRR.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I just made the trip 705, with the M3.
    Frankly, I am disappointed. There is snow and above all a lot of water vapor. It feels like behind a steam locomotive.
    The problem is that it continues to the NYPEN tunnel.
    In addition, there are many unresolved lags, as before.
    The sounds are cut off when the doors are closed. Besides, they are zero.
    For the doors to open, sometimes you have to put the brake lever on 10, sometimes on 5 ????
    Got a refund.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Irl the M3 sounds in the interior you cannot hear them....in the interior you only hear the doors and Announcements and the Hvac. You cant hear any propulsion sounds

• Like Like x 2
  20. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Matt mentioned the issues about the tunnel on the M3 Stream and that the team was working on fix for the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  21. LIRRGuy

Well..... At least the update could be fixed soon

• Like Like x 2
  22. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

The horn if you listen really closely is slightly modified from the original M7 horn. Yes Anthony both the M3 & M7 use very similar horns.
    But the M3 has many bugs, some are:
    Doors being finicky, Sounds not syncing with the outside, Unloaded textures & sometimes very bad wheel-slip.

The good things about the M3 are:
    It does have power delay which I was talking about in the other discussion thread.
    The M3 has 3rd-rail or D.C cut-out (Unlike the M7) when going over junctions. Drive your M3 over them slowly you will see the lights and HVAC turn off I love this one.
    The propulsion is really nice it matches realistically with the M3 in real life.
    The M3 also can be turned off both on consoles & PC via the battery & lights. I also love this one
    The M3 also has great brakes. They are even better than the M7. This is true with real life

Also if DTG added a Long Island City scenario why not add a few services there as well, That annoys me a lot. Clearly the Long Island City branch is functional but it not used in the timetables.
    Overall DTG needs to fix some of the issues but it's a unique solid train to operate & it is mostly accurate to real life.
    I rate it a 8/10
    It clearly needs a hotfix, So please DTG fix this truly amazing train

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Ideally, they should be corrected before selling.

• Like Like x 3
  24. LIRRGuy

We can hope for a hotfix soon. Like they did with the BR Class 31 and HRR

• Like Like x 1
  25. Louis-MTA NYCTA

This is a bug. I have seen my friends and I have also operated the doors at minimum brakes. That is simply a bug which needs to be fixed. The M7 also has the same issue. Sorry I did not have time yesterday

• Like Like x 2
  26. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Fun Fact: While I was testing the M3 speed, I found that the M3 has a line speed of 80MPH and it has a top speed of 120mph.
    The M3 is faster than the M7 which it's top speed is 105mph.

I did test the M3 to see how fast I can get it up to and (on a gradient) I got it up to 135mph

• Like Like x 2
  27. malikrthr

I was able to open the door while the brake notch was on 2. Do you have the door key inserted and set to Doors/COMM. Could the difference be that you are trying to open the forward doors or the rearward doors. I open and lock the rearward doors. I am okay with the horn. In real life, the M3 and M7 both have a Leslie RS2M horn. I do agree though, there is alot of lag in some areas of the LIRR route with frame stutters. Also, I notice when travelling through the East River tunnels, there is a point where there is fog, I think that indicates the difference between the echo for inside the tunnels and when you get outside the tunnel. I hope that can be hidden somehow. There is also audio lag when transitioning between the closed tunnel spaces and the outdoors I notice.

• Like Like x 1
  28. malikrthr

That is interesting, I believe the M3 has a total of 640hp per car while the M7 may have 1,080hp per car. Even though the M7 has more HP, I think the M3 may weigh less. I thought the design speed for both M3 and M7 were 100mph. Perhaps the top speeds of the cars are not capped.

• Like Like x 1
  29. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

I dont understand how LIC still GHOSTOWN including Hunterspoint Av station...I. tired of those lousy scenarios and the new ones ain't even all that....and I wouldnt rate this an 8 out of 10 lmao...that's too high....and based on the vids I've seen and comments(especially numerous bugs and mistakes) I still ain't purchased the M3, LIRR DLC is still lifeless..no ai traffic and still no extra services added..busiest railroad but yet its deemed like a dead life one smfh..Lou I know u enjoy the DLC and of.course ya lessons on the m3 and so which I enjoyed!!

• Like Like x 1
  30. LIRRGuy

I give rhe
    I give the M3 a 75/100

• Like Like x 1
  31. MrbKlegend89

M3 maybe 70 but still this overall DLC is still lower than a 70...possibly a 6.5 I'm sorry to much errors on that DLC and especially the routes given....NYP-to Hicksville only one.hour aparr of service??and then NYP to Woodside which is wack as hell they had potential to go far as at least Great Neck smfh...oh and that part also requires 8 to 12 cars not SIX(as well hour apart of.service)...and other mistakes as well...but this ain't the only complaints cuz GWE still getting criticized till this day and that was one of the FIRST out of em all

• Like Like x 2
  32. LIRRGuy

All we can pray for is a hot fix that fixes all the bugs. The Max of LIRR train is 12 Cars. However what they did get right is sometimes 10 cars or as little as 8 cars run on the Mainline IRL.. But we also need to at least lengthen Atlantic Terminal sets to 8 cars but at most 10 Cars.

• Like Like x 1
  33. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

8/10 is wayy too high but I'll leave you to your opinion. M3 has too many issues that can be solved easily but yet feels like no one played it till the last day before release. Let's name a few:

1. Obvious door issues
    2. If you drive your M3 next to another M3, sound gets so botched that it has the chance to disable your own train's sound.
    3. Audio cuts in and out when walking next to each car
    4. Audio gets horrendous when walking between cars in the train.
    5. You can't turn off the HVAC
    6. Light from the car bleeds into the cab, same issue with the M7 but more severe.
    7. Marker Lights are off by default, same issue that was on the M7
    8. Reused door sounds from the M7? (I understand COVID has made it hard to get assets but you still shouldn't do that lol)
    9. Door speed is not life like.
    10. You can see through the bathroom window which shows invisible textures from the opposite side.
    There are probably more. 5/10 from me. I appreciate the effort but there seems to be little amount from how things are being done. I'm not including the launch issues from Xbox because things happen out of their control, but the M3 was in their full control and they are responsible for it.

• Like Like x 6
  34. MrbKlegend89

I never seen service to/from Atlantic Term with 10 cars lol...8 def

• Like Like x 2
  35. LIRRGuy

As of now we have to pray for a hotfix. The Exterior and Interior Amd Physics and Sounds are great but........reused door sounds and 4 cars......this is an insult to the M3 as a whole. So i wanna Hotfix for not just the M3 but also the Entire route.

• Like Like x 2
  36. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

There are 10 car trains from atlantic terminal

• Like Like x 2
  37. MrbKlegend89

Thats a first for me lol ..that means like the last 4 cars can't even platform at Atlantic

• Like Like x 1
  38. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

The same on Xbox One. Also with both windows open the horn sound its too low

• Like Like x 1
  39. Subway

Subway New Member

Matt did say in the stream that they are aware of the Penn Tunnels glitch as well as not enough services . Which means they've heard the complaints . Somewhere in the future we may get both . As you guys can also see that the 2 new scenerios for M3 covers LIC-Jamaica city terminal zone and a Atl Term- Hicksville runs . Hopefully those will be added in the future

• Like Like x 3
  40. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation Louis...well, I hope it gets patched soon then. However, I have not noticed this issue with the M7 tbh

41. malikrthr

I notice sometimes when the key is inserted for the doors on both the M3 and M7, the door indicator buttons and lights activate on their own. Even if you try to take the key out, it disappears and then reappears in a loop.

42. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

IIRC I've had door issues on the M7 a couple times, usually cause I had the power handle in neutral, otherwise I don't think it has a requirement of certain brake percent needed and works fine. I did notice it on the M3 though. A couple other things I ran into
    Don't try to switch cabs while driving the M3. I tried using the keyboard shortcut (ctrl + = or whatever it is) to jump cabs (trying to turn on marker lights), and when you do, it assumes the controls of the other cab and results in the emergency brake applying, and you have to reset everything when you get back to the current cab.
    Also there's some hit testing issues when the power handle is in max brake and the "charge brakes" button. Not sure if much can be done to fix it, but it is kinda quirky

I will say though, for having to rely on other's reference material, its physical appearance is actually quite nice, and its just different enough from the M7 (from an operating perspective) I think it adds a little value to the LIRR route.

43. matthew.lee.02

matthew.lee.02 Member

1. Not sure where you guys are getting door issues. I have never ever experienced a door issue on either the M3 or the M7. The only thing seems to be that yes indeed the brakes have to be 50%+ for the doors to open/close.
    7. Marker lights were always on by default on the M7. Did this change within the last few days?

44. Louis-MTA NYCTA

This could also be the shape & the design that was chosen by Budd. The design was meant to be lighter than previous EMU's.
    With the M3 being out for 2 days already it clearly needs fixing. Hopefully over the weekend or the upcoming weeks DTG with release an update for the M3. I have spent 10+ hours with the M3 and it clearly needs a fix.
    As for the door issues, The M3 should be able to open the doors as long as the key in in the socket and the master controller is at notch 1 or above in brakes. The M7 I have noticed also has this issue but from time to time. Hopefully we get more services, trains & route extensions for the LIRR. It's about time this route gets some attention.

• Like Like x 5
  45. malikrthr

I agree, the M3 is good so far but we definitely need the errors to be fixed. The route also could get an update and some TLC to improve performance and fps, as the LIRR was one of the earlier routes for TSW. I also think a route extension would be great to have for the LIRR. The dialogue points out Port Jefferson, Port Washington and Ronkonkoma but it is not actually recreated in the simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  46. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

I agree why have the word Gilroy to San francisco if there is no gilroy in the game just say san jose diridon

• Like Like x 1
  47. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

New DLC, but same old issues. If a loco DLC couldn't get these day 1 bugs fixed, I'm afraid we might have to accept that we are stuck with what we have. Keep in mind that LIRR was also "remastered" for the TSW2020 release where road vehicle AI traffic was added and a Mastery Update. Unfortunately, nothing to really improve the actual simulation experience though like 3rd rail gapping they could have used from East Coastway, sound improvements to the M7, Passenger Information Displays for the M7, not to mention the barren service mode timetable, and the missing speed boards, mileposts, whistleboards, and other miscellaneous trackside detailing. Driving without the HUD is very challenging because the speed posts and mileposts signs that would be there in real life don't exist. I can understand changes such as the safety systems is very complicated to alter, but surely SOME time was available to fix the platform clippings and the clipping for the pillar at Penn Station. I guess not though.

Hopefully all of this neglect for the LIRR route was allocated to items deemed more important like rail adhesion or ensuring more detail is going towards the next route. Maybe even a longer than average route. Otherwise, I am very disappointment that these longstanding issues were not addressed.

20200517161403_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  48. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Doubt they will fix this
    Because I feel like they think it’s “too late” to fix this now
    They need to make this loco unavailable till they fix it

49. LIRRGuy

Problem is though.....some already bought it.

50. smash_cze

smash_cze Member

I don't believe they will fix this. Same like bridge height on MSB, wires out of tracks on NEC etc.. and many many other old bugs.

• Like Like x 2