Stops At Slough For The Hst Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by chris-penny, May 11, 2020.

1. chris-penny

chris-penny Active Member

It makes services a lot more fun if it stopped in Slough. Not all of the services but definetly a few. I am aware that there is one but a few more would be bliss!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

There’s quite a few- generally all the Oxfords/Cotsworld trains stop at Slough so there is a quite a few on TSW.
    Headcodes Westbound:
    1Dxx if terminating at Oxford
    1Wxx if continuing into the Cotsworld (Worcester/Great Malvern/Hereford)

Headcodes Eastbound:
    1Pxx regardless whether coming from Oxford or Cotsworld

It is slightly different during peak time. Morning peaks, fast trains don’t stop at Slough in Eastbound direction. Evening peaks, fast trains don’t stop at Slough in the Westbound direction. There is the odd ‘proper’ intercity service that stops at Slough as well. From memory it was one of the first trains in the morning from Bristol Temple Meads heading Eastbound. And there is one in the evening peak coming from Cardiff Central stopping at Slough because the train from Worcester stops at Maidenhead instead. I think this has all changed in the December 2019 timetable though and I don’t think TSW has these services. There were also a few services a day stopping at Maidenhead and Twyford and I think there are a couple of services on TSW that have this but couldn’t say which ones.

On TSW, there is a 1630ish service from Reading to London Paddington from Great Malvern and is one of the only services I’ve found that you are actually following a few trains so you will see cautionary aspects. You get stopped just outside of Maidenhead because there is a turbo and a HST in front of you stopping at Maidenhead so this might be a good service to do.

• Like Like x 2
  3. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

4 fast line trains per hour stop at Slough or Maidenhead. IRL they depart just ahead of the Heathrow Express, which gives them space to stop before the following First Stop Reading catches up after the Heathrow EMU turns off into the airport.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Olaf the Snowman

Maidenhead? A few trains a day at most certainly not 2 an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chris-penny

chris-penny Active Member

Thats what I was thinking. If there are, which I don't think there is, I think DTG should put them in. If they were to upgrade the GWR route, in my opinion, it should be this first. I personally don't know for sure, but I imagine it's one of the easier jobs because it just adding an objective to a few of the services, not changing the scenary or anything else like that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Try the 1K34 8:19 Paddington to Newbury but don't start until 2:21:30 (just a bit late). It gives quite an interesting run! And you can stay onboard at Reading and drive it around to the south. Until it kicks you out.

I sometimes find a running a little off timetable gives a different feel to a service.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Olaf the Snowman

Worked very well. Left at 08:21:30 and arrived 4 minutes late into Reading at 08:53. Encountered cautionary aspects on approach to the depot- didn’t check to see if you’re waiting for a train to come across from the depot. After that, cautionary aspects encountered on approach to Hayes and Harlington because you catch up with the turbo in front as it is only 90mph maximum. It stopped at Slough so came to a stop at the signal before Slough. Finally, saw 2 yellows between Twyford and Reading although wasn’t too much of a delay because the turbo went into p9 and you get routed into p7 so you’re not having to wait for it to leave.

• Like Like x 2