Suggestion For Dtg: Controller Usage On Consoles => Use Combo's !

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OnlyMe1909, Apr 13, 2020.

1. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

I'm a PS4 player for TSW. On Matt's stream last night, he said a couple of times that certain functions aren't available on consoles because there are no more free buttons on the controller.

I don't fully agree with him on that point. DTG only use every button in 1 way. Look at how Giants use the buttons in Farming Simulator. They use combo's. They use every button:
    - on it's own
    - in combo with L1
    - in combo with R1
    - in combo with L1 and R1

That way you can map 4 different functions to 1 button.

Not counting L1 and R1 and the analog sticks, I count 13 other buttons on a PS4 controller
    L2 / R2 / L3 / R3 / 4 direction buttons / 4 symbol buttons / the big middle button

So that would mean DTG can map up to 52 different functions into 1 controller.
    I know it would take a bit of getting used to, but if you look at what could be gained... I'd be more than willing to make the effort

I hope DTG will look into this.

• Like Like x 3
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I wonder if they’ve tried any combinations out in development. It’s certainly worth looking into. There are also press and hold options that some controls don’t yet use.

I’d also thought that the triangle button could be used when in the train cab to switch modes like it does when in external view, to enable some other functions of the controls, such as switching internal camera views. So, while in the cab, press triangle, use left and right buttons to change view, press triangle again to continue using the train controls. Players using the external cameras are used to using the triangle to switch modes so it wouldn’t take much to get used to using it while in the cab. This extra layer of controls could include many extra functions, which would be useful and essential when steam trains come to TSW. Maybe they are already holding back on using extra functions, knowing they will be needed for steam, if it ever comes.

EDIT - The triangle is of course used in cab for standing and sitting, I was still thinking in “press and hold” mode for buttons, silly me.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lDanny Holand

lDanny Holand Active Member

Yes, yes and yes again

• Like Like x 1
  4. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Hmm, that feature will have to be adapted for Xbox controllers since they have less buttons than a ps4 controller, but I couldn’t agree more:)