Los Angeles Metrolink: Antelope Valley Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aquantis, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

This is a bit of an odd suggestion, but I'd like to make it as it runs through my hometown. The Antelope Valley Line starts off at LA Union Station and moves north towards Burbank, where it splits from the Pacific Surfliner and Ventura County lines, and continues through the San Fernando Valley. An interesting part here is that it passes the edge of runway 12 at Burbank airport and parallels the sole runway at White man Airport (sometimes airplanes will take off at the same time the train passes, and it almost seems like a race). Moving north the line passes through the Newhall Pass and under where the I-5 and CA-14 interchange collapsed in the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. Afterwards it reaches Santa Clarita which contains three stops, more than any other city on the line (Los Angeles doesn't count because it's so spread out). It's worth mentioning that the northernmost stop in Santa Clarita, Via Princessa, was originally a temporary stop built by the Navy Seabees in response to the 1994 quake, as Metrolink and one three-lane road were the only ways out of the valley at the time ridership massively increased, causing the agency to have to borrow trains from GO Transit, which had identical rolling stock. After leaving the Santa Clarita Valley the line begins it's 40 minute trip to it's next stop, Vincent/Acton Grade in the high desert. The line eventually reaches the Antelope Valley where it terminates at Lancaster.

The route contains a mix of commuter, express commuter, light, and heavy freight traffic, so I think it'd be an overall good mix to be enjoyed by many. I also feel that the route serves some local historical value as it was crucial during the 1994 quake in transporting commuters from North Los Angeles County to Hollywood (via shuttles from the Burbank station) and Downtown.

Some stock that would be nice to see would be the MPI-MP36Cs and EMD F125s along with the mix of Bombardier bilevels and Hyundai Rotem bilevels, and with some AC4400Ws for freight traffic.

I know this post was a mess, I wrote it from my phone, but to conclude I think this route would make a worthy addition to TSW.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

Seems a good route to play yes :)

3. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

I'm a supporter for all routes that feature Los Angeles for Train Sim World (with the exception of the Surfline from Los Angeles to San Diego since that's been done before for Train Simulator 2017). So therefore, I do like this idea. Although I feel that the Los Angeles to Santa Barbara section of the Coast Line would have more appeal since it goes along the coast for part of it.

4. Aquantis

Aquantis Active Member

Yeah I'd like to see the northern section of the surfliner too, and Metrolink/freight service runs along there so it'd be a nice combination.