West Highland Line (south) Possible To Drive With Anything Else?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bask185, May 11, 2020.

1. bask185

bask185 New Member

Like the title says. On the west highland line dlc I cannot ever see any other loco than a green blue class 37 which comes with this dlc.

Are there compatible DLCs for this line so I can see/drive more than just 1 loco? Can a class 156 drive on this line?

kind regards,

Bas

2. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Yes, you can put other locos and stock on there either using the TS2020 editor or RW Tools.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

As trev123 says, you can use RW Tools (now called TS tools) to swap stock out of existing scenarios with other stock. I've done this with 158s mainly. Do be aware that due to different acceleration and braking that you might break the scenario timings, especially if something waits for you to pass etc, so just take that into consideration.
    Swapping a 37 with a rake of coaches with an AP pack 158 does make for some issues on long runs

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can run almost anything over almost any route you own.
    Some restriction in that you can not run electric trains on routes that are not set up to run electrics
    And if you use locos/stock from US on a European/UK route or European on a UK route you can get problems with side long collisions

Peter

5. bask185

bask185 New Member

I installed and looked into both tools and I see I am going to need a good tutorial. That stuff is complicated

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you wish to swap an engine in a scenario for a different one - and you own Both locos

He is waffling so go to around 4 mins and see how simple it is

Peter

7. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Use Quick Drive in the TS2020 menus to run any train on any route.

8. ARuscoe

Not all routes are quick drive enabled

9. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Not all routes are QD enabled, but most are. The West Highland Line (South) which the OP is enquiring about certainly is and QD gives a much simpler way of doing what he wants rather than creating scenarios in the editor. There's also AI traffic in QD on the WHL(S), which is nice.

10. ARuscoe

Yep, but saying "you can run anything anywhere" does sometimes lead to "well why isn't x,y or z working?"

11. bask185

bask185 New Member

I can only see locos of the WHL DLC and not anything else. I cannot pick my J64 saddeltank.

Also when I go freeroam I can only pick the DLC loco. For my cloned test world, how can I set that other locos are also 'allowed'. I can't seem to find that feature

12. bask185

bask185 New Member

Also in QD I also cannot seem to set automatic switches. That is a payne because I cannot reach the switching yard. Is this solvable?

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In Quick Drive you start at a location and drive to a location - that is it. You can stop en route but you cannot vary the route

If you do a Free Roam you are in change of the train and the track
    You have to check via the 2D map [9] that the points are set for your train but you can drive anywhere on your map
    If you don't have a Free Roam for your route - Create one

Peter

14. bask185

bask185 New Member

That I already figured out, the problem is that with free roaming I cannot select any other locomotive other than the 37. That is the problem, that I want to change. In the world editor thing I simply cannot find any other locomotive other than the 37. I cannot add anything else but this one locomotive. It is simply not there in the list you see when you click on "add loco".

How do I add locomotives to a scenario which are not native to the route? Lets say I want to drive an Sd40-2 on the west highland line in free roaming? or perhaps even in scenarios? How do I do that? How can I get other locos to show up in the list when I use the world editor?

I also like to drive my new j94 steam loco in free roaming which is impossible for me at the moment. I can only drive the j94 in QD mode and than I cannot controll the auto switches.

Bas

15. ARuscoe

go to the top left pullout, on the left there are two blue squares, one big above one small. Click the small one.
    On the right another pop out will list all the providers of assets you have installed
    Find the right assets and click the MIDDLE tickbox
    they will then show on the asset list on the left and the consist list also

16. bask185

bask185 New Member

I will try it as soon as I get home, Thank you so far

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You could just watch the video or even look for others which give you the info.
    If you run your SD40 on the west highland don;t go past anything on an adjacent track as they are much bigger than UK trains and you will have a collision

18. bask185

bask185 New Member

"If you run your SD40 on the west highland don;t go past anything on an adjacent track as they are much bigger than UK trains and you will have a collision"
    This was just joke I made to give a detailed description of what I precisely wanted to achieve. I do not have the intention of driving such a machine in Scotland

"On the right another pop out will list all the providers of assets you have installed"
    I have found it, but it did not exactly "popped out" like you said. It did appear but it appeared as a very small gray bar, it popped out when I hovered my mouse over this near invisable gray bar. But if you don't mention the near invisible bar, you don't hover your mouse over something which isn't there and the thing never poppes up

...anyways....

In the meantime I added a J94 and an other locomotive instead of a class 37 and I could drive both of them. And I had great fun shunting wagons with the J94 in the shunting yard of Fort William using my raildriver.

I am still a bit puzzled what game mode I was actually playing. From within the world editor I pressed the play button and I could drive and I could set automated switches. But I don't know how I can 'play' my modified map without having to open the editor first. In free roaming I cannot open my map it seems so I cannot start in crianlarich with a custom loco.

I also could not start nor move all the way to the other side of the map. I could not navigate all the way to crianlarich without following the tracks for a very long time.

Is there an option with which you can jump your camera to any place of your choosing using the 2D map? I also like to shunt in other places than Fort william, I only don't know how to actually get there.

I wouldn't describe this whole as "intuitive" software so far. I will watch the vid to see how I make a freeroam. Wish I had more time for this

Kind regards,

Bas

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You don't have time to watch a video to Help Yourself - or is that another joke like the SD40?

20. bask185

bask185 New Member

It was not a joke. I simply have too little time to to play the game. I also have model trains for which I build my own electronics. I still work 40 hours for the comming 39 years and the chores around the house are building up. I am currently shuffling away all grass in my backyard every evening which is a bucketload of work, I have to repair the roof of my shed....... So things like watching a 40 minute YT video and then take the same amount of time and double the effort to copy the results, that has become a luxery for me I cannot afford from time to time. And sometimes when I am tired, I just wanna drive my trains.

21. ARuscoe

The 2D map can be used to jump anywhere but you need to scroll the 2D map to get there in the first place, it' snot very intuitive...
    Once you have the 2D map where you want to be hold CTRL then click on the map, then go to the top middle "pop out" and click the play button on the right hand side, the 3D layout will then move there.

Please note this only works with the main 2D map, not the little one that you get in the consist dispatch screen

Unfortunately this software is more like a hobby at times than a game. You can spend hours and hours on one thing and seemingly not get very far. It can be frustrating, but also good when it works

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So either do a Quick Drive
    That is what I use if I want a relaxing journey where I don't have to think about stations and the like