Class 08 Vs 09 Are They Different In Game?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SHINO BAZ, May 19, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I read in the real versions of these shunters they are slightly different in there functions for there shunting duties,so are the in game version any different in how they preform?I ask because i just found out that if you have tvl or hfao(I don't have these yet) you can use the class 08(On the West Summerset line) there and it made me wonder how it would fair pulling coaches compaired to the included class 09.(Which is lucky to hit 20 mph)

2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yep - they are different in real life. The Class 08 is lower geared and can shift loaded bulk wagons about (and, well everything....), and the Class 09 variant is higher geared for shifting coaching stock and EMUs in Southern Region yards.

It is difficult to judge difference in performance across the piece in TSW because the Class 09 is stuck on WSR - but they do appear to me to work differently. They also sound different, and have slightly different modelled features. I get the impression that the Class 08 is punchier when starting from rest (as a light engine), but this could just be my over-active imagination, when used on NTP and TVL. I have never run the Class 08 on WSR - but that is where you can do the direct comparison, with a rake of coaches, if you are so inclined

I'd be interested to know the results if you give it a go. If I find myself on WSR in a Class 08, I will let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plastic Pal

So anyway - I had a go at WSR with the Class 08 and some MkIs - and it struggled to make 15mph on the incline out of Bishops. On the downhill stretch, if you are under power, then an alarm comes on at 22mph and cuts the traction current off, and if you keep rolling then the brake pipe lets in a bit of air (vacuum on the MkIs...), and you are reduced in speed until you reach 15mph again.

So you'll want to use the Class 09, which can at least reach 25mph (and then some....). I am not sure that the Class 08 will even let you keep to time on the relaxed WSR timetables..., and the local cows really don't like the piercing alarm sound.

Holy Cow A Class 08 at 15mph.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. SHINO BAZ

Glad to see you tested it out,thanks for the update.now if we could get some frieghtcars on west summerset it be nice to see how the class 09 handles them,i have seen pictures and videos of WS and i know frieghtcars are seen and used there.

5. Plastic Pal

Thank you for the inspiration. And I think you will see freight, and all your Santa Special Dreams wil come true...!

They are sure to bring the Raveningham Hall and 7F steam engines in, and/or possibly the Class 03 shunter, plus a few heritage plank wagons, canvas covered plank wagons, GWR vans and a GWR brake van at some point....

...maybe quite soon.... Not that I know that for an absolute fact...... ;-)

6. SHINO BAZ

One other strange fact the east coastway offers a heratige special train with the 31,37/5,40,45,47,66 yet for some reason only the 31 can be used on west summerset if you buy tvl,strange DT wouldn't allow these other classic to sub in on WS,how hard can it be to port over already in game locos,this would increase the loco options without having to create alot of new locos until later.

Sorry i put this in the wrong thread,but i made the other thread about wanting other locos in WS as well so along with frieght cars other locos would be nice to.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  7. Plastic Pal

Depends on how good the asset management system is.

Well managed system = easy to port locos between routes, anytime you like
    Horrifically bad system = lots of work to fix and update/backdate locos/routes