Throttle/ammeter/power Output Problem For All Diesel Electrics

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by RyanC, Sep 20, 2017.

1. RyanC

RyanC New Member

For some reason I cannot post my comment on the new Geep thread, so I'll try it here:

Will you be updating the physics on this locomotive, or continuing to use the incorrect power implementation you currently use in the GP38-2, SD40-2 and AC4400CW? If you’re not going to fix the physics, you really should drop the references to “realistic operating characteristics and fidelity” because that is blatant false advertising. Diesel electric locomotives should always have a positive ammeter indication when power is being applied, regardless of throttle position, unless A) the the wheels are slipping (ammeter will bounce around), B) a heavy train is pushing the locomotives down hill (ammeter can go to zero). Otherwise, it should always have a positive reading, even if the train is running at 45 miles per hour in notch 1, it will give a very slight positive reading. This doesnt mean the train accelerates, just that the drag friction equals the amp power output.

As you currently have it modeled, the locomotive can accelerate to pre set speeds for each throttle position, at which, the amps reach zero. This is completely incorrect. You should increase the drag friction settings and the power curve so the locomotive reaches a speed in each notch where they balance each other, with wind drag increasing as speed increases and therefor equalizing amps will read higher as speed increases. For example, a light (train-less) SD40-2 might look something like this: Notch 1: 32 mph, 45 amps. Notch 2, 50mph, 65 amps, Notch 3, 65mph, 89 amps. Notch 4, 72mph, amps limited by overspeed controller for all power settings above this.

The reason this is SO incredibly important is that on long, heavy freight trains, it is very easy to over-stress couplers and break trains in two, or cause derailements, by not smoothy and carefully controlling power and braking. The way you currently model the power, if you move the throttle from one notch to another, you can watch the ammeter go from a reading of hundreds of amps down to zero. And when you apply more power, to speed up, it will go from zero to hundreds of amps again, with no inbetween. In real life, if it worked like this, it would be impossible to keep trains coupled together because you’d always be introducing slack ripples that would break the weakest link.

Ryan Chattam, Retired
    23 years working as a mechanical engineer at Electro-Motive Division, GM building SW’s, GP’s and SD’s

• Like Like x 3
  2. peterdian

peterdian New Member

Hi Ryan,

Unfortunately, these issues have been raised even during the Beta testing, but it seems to me, that no one really cares. It's my personal opinion, but I think that this is just a video game, not really simulator, since the basics are not done properly. And based on DTG history, I'm not quite sure it will get ever fixed. But well, I can still dream...

Peter (Disappointed Customer)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OS1-1IT

OS1-1IT New Member

I am not sure that what I am experiencing is realistic, but I can also accelerate to ~10 mph with the train brake at full service and throttle at power setting 1. I have also noticed that the power curve has been adjusted to something similar to what RyanC described in his post above. I can now accelerate a two loco, long train up sandpatch grade at power 3, when I used to have to apply power 6. I preferred having to add more power since it gave the "feel" of weight. Now any of the three locos are like driving a Ferrari up the track. No longer enjoyable.

4. BurchSung

BurchSung New Member

Hi...i think these are the possible causes for the not putting out power are: Overloading has caused the alternator to cut out.An electrical fault, eg. damage to the stator, a short circuit or loose wiring connection.A problem with the capacitor.

lead free assembly

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Just to save some time..
    go to the steam forum for TSW and search for a thread called "The Throttle Problem"..

6. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

The threads Tsw: Diesel-electric Simulation Improvements and Train Sim World: June Studio Update in the Dovetail Live Article folder are also relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Guys, new physics are coming!!

8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Can anyone provide any detail on when the next improvements for traction are rolling out? I know it was stated that the Class 66 is at an "advanced stage". Given that its at an advanced stage, will we have to wait for the July patch or will it roll out when its ready independently of the patch?
    Cheers.