Chiltern Main Line: London - Birmingham Route Add-on!career Scenarios?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pantherz, May 21, 2020.

1. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

No career scenarios included on this route?
    If so then it is no point of buying it.

2. trev123

trev123 Active Member

As this is a Just Trains route which I have from them it might not have. So anyway why does it matter?

3. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

It does matter much.
    If you have no timestamps then you can drive how fast/slow you want.

I only drive the career scenarios because I want it to be a challenge when playing.

4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

So looking at their website all they created was 14 standard scenarios, and 2 free roams for this route. Not sure why they would choose to not create any career scenarios.

5. trev123

trev123 Active Member

If you have RW Tools I'm pretty certain you can make them career scenarios as I know you can do vice versa.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you drive a normal Scenario you are still expected to get to the calling points on time and if you speed it comes up in the report.

I would suggest you stick to a very limited range of products from DTG so you can have you points.

The rest of us will quite happily purchase products from other from other creators as they give you more enjoyment and you don't have to drive the train like an idiot just to get points.

Peter

7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I've watched a real driver (QwertyAfro) play TS (and other rail sims) on youtube and he says that he'd sooner simulate real life by driving safely and smoothly rather than chasing an in-game timetable.

I've driven scenarios that have had me waiting at stations for 2 - 3 minutes at a time as I'm ahead of schedule and others that have deducted over a 1000 points because of lateness, and I've had scenarios combine both.

When the throttle is either accelerating or decelerating (on units without cruise control) with no tactile feel or balance the constant adjusting of speed to stay on time without inducing penalties just seems to distract from the overall enjoyment of the sim for me.

I except that we're all different and require different goals/challenges though, that's why I'm glad of other scenario options and if all else fails I can find my way around the editor or TS Tools too. ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

I am working as a traindriver in real life and we drive after a timetable and a Simulator is supposed to be as it is in real life and that is why I only drive career scenarios.
    I feel it is useless to drive standard scenarios.
    And you also get the feeling how to drive when playing career scenarios.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I believe that only DTG can create scored career scenarios, and even if you create a scored scenario yourself it doesn't add points to your profile.
    Converting standard to scenario may well suit your requirements, but I would suggest this would also need proper weighting etc

Depends on the weighting and time allowances. The dispatcher in TSx knows nothing about allowances, so where in real life you might get a two minute engineering allowance TSx doesn't allow for this, hence the timings being way off in several instances

I have no problem with people preferring a target to aim for, but do take into account my first comment

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As ARuscoe says the timings are totally wrong in Career Scenarios

As a Train Driver do you run at Full Power between Stations the do a Full Brake Application?
    [I suppose if you just drive a Metro you might]
    Do you run at full speed even though the signals are Yellow and telling you to slow down?

More importantly does someone give you a Tick on a Board somewhere to say "You have driven train 123a from B to C on time"?
    Real train drivers don't get anything like that - they drive the train safely and are happy with a job well done.

Peter

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see why it matters whether scenarios are career or standard, as long as you get something to try the route with. Once in a blue moon you find DLCs with NO scenarios. Loco DLCs can often be like this, and I tend to prefer content with scenarios for a route I already have as, to me, scenarios are the meat of the game. That said, workshop use also has an impact, but those with nothing included often tend to not be used, I find, because people didn't buy them due to having nothing to do with them other than quick driving a route with them.

12. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

I am driving freight trains.

Timings are to 95% not wrong in career scenarios.
    Only wrong I have seen so far is the Settle route but you get full points anyway.

13. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

What are everyone's thoughts on this route??? I am struggling to comprehend that in addition to buying this route, YOU MUST ALSO PURCHASE additional DLC in order for you to play scenarios that are included with this route.

I hope Dovetail don't continue this route (as in having to purchase EXTRA DLC in order for to be able to drive particular routes) as I liken it to buying a car and then having to buy an engine in order to make it work!!! I've long admired Just Train's add-ons but have been put off with the extensive list of extra DLC that is needed (in most cases) that I don't have or the money for... I can probably just about justify 25 quid for a route, stock & a couple of scenarios (but generally wait till its on offer) but to spend 27 quid and then have to buy several other add-ons... Not for me I'm afraid...

I know some will say "make your own scenarios, drive on a free roam or swap stock" etc, but for many (me included) it's not possible as I can not get to grips with those subjects. I'd like to see an inbuilt editor / option screen at the start where you can select / swap the loco / stock you want to drive (even on stock [pre-made?]scenarios, sorry can't think of a suitable alternative word for it), but that's another personal gripe but not for here or now...

Eric

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's how a lot of the 3rd party providers work in TSx. JT obviously want to sell their other products and one way of getting that stream of cash is to have scenarios which require their other stock.
    You can F2 and continue past the errors so long as it's not what you're driving that you are missing, but it does then pale the experience somewhat

Unfortunately, this falls into the category of "part of the hobby". If this isn't something you want to engage in then I would say to stick to DTG products alone, as anything outside of this is likely to leave you needing to do at least some of that

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The route was made by Just Trains and it is the same if you purchased it from them - apart from the extra scenarios they give you.
    It is their decision to use the stock in the scenarios for realism

The European Loco & Asset Pack is an important item and worth getting
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/208300/Train_Simulator_European_Loco__Asset_Pack/
    It includes the HST/Mk3 coaches, class 37 & 47 locos and a number of Coaches and Wagons.

The ELAP also comes with some add-ons so you don't have to buy it separately
    https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/39/2/
    So if you purchase the Class 111 Dmu for £5.99 the ELAP is included

And having purchased these add-ons you can use them in any route you wish - not just this one route.
    If you don't wish to spend now but you still want the route wait for a Sale on Steam.

Peter