Adding Enhancement Pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob39, May 15, 2020.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Just starting up my TSxx venture.
    Looking to end up with a Riviera line base from which I can create various scenarios from various eras.
    Ive bought ts2018 as my start off point, as I fancy a go at the NWC and will have the Voyager for Riviera.
    When I buy the Riviera Line, I will end up with a DTG HST MTU (quick drive only?) and a FGW 143.
    After owning this route, I will then be looking to give the HST- AP Valenta treatment. Whats the best way to go? Should I buy the euro loco assets pack? Or is there something more up to date?

2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I don't like to wander too far from home, but I was out shopping and passed by this thread and saw your question. And I am reliably informed that I can give you this answer:

"There is probably no need to buy the two "asset packs" on TS1 as individual purchases, as these are frequently bundled with other DLC that need them to function (although they do not tell you this up front). So you are likely to be buying them two or three times, or ten times anyway. Save your money, and/or spend it on some other DLC. Whatever you do, if you really think you want the asset packs now, make sure that you buy them last, in a distinct purchase from the rest, because Steam will tell you whether you have already got them or not with your initial purchase and installation of stuff like TS 2018."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

First wait for a Steam Sale - there should be one around the end of May

If you want TS2018 for the Riviera line buy it here - https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/2326-buy-key-steam-train-simulator-2018/
    As you say the HST can be used in Quick Drive or as AI and if you want the AP version you need the Euro Loco and Asset Pack

You don't get the HST from AP they add improvements to the version in the ELAP
    https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/enhancements/locomotive/class_43_mtu-mk3_enhancement_pack
    There is a separate Branding Pack on the same page which adds the Logos to the liveries included in the pack

As Plastic Pal mentioned the ELAP is also bundled with some of the DLC
    https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/39/2/
    From that list the Class 111 might be a way of getting the pack cheaply
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/208366/Train_Simulator_Class_111_DMU_AddOn/

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you're working around the Riviera as a base, get the Exeter - Bristol route from steam and you get the euro asset pack, and then you can create scenarios on Riviera, stop at Exeter and then start again from Exeter Northwards.

I would always look to see if the pack or loco you want is in another pack somewhere, and also that there are sometimes seeming duplications. One good example is the class 101 which has three versions, two of which are almost identical, but one of them comes in a route pack anyway. Would have saved a few quid had I realised that way back when

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was thinking the Riviera would give me the hst until I read that AP requires the loco asset one for enhancement .
    Is euro asset pack just a given in these routes as not mentioned in the list

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Riviera Route gives you the HST but there are no Scenarios for it on the route - but it does not stop you from driving it anywhere you want.

"Is euro asset pack just a given in these routes as not mentioned in the list"
    If you read the link I posted - https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/39/2/
    "If you believe you require the European Community Asset Pack, please note that it is included free of charge with the following add-ons:
    • Glasgow Airport Rail Link
    • West Coast Mainline North
    • Ohio Steel 2
    • Woodhead Line
    • Cologne-Dusseldorf
    • Doncaster Works
    • Falmouth Branch
    • Class 111 Pack
    • Portland Terminal
    • Edinburgh - Glasgow
    • Portsmouth Direct Line
    • Bristol to Exeter
    • Great Western Main Line
    • Hatchet Hill Quarry
    • Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway
    • East Coast Main Line
    • Ruhr-Sieg
    • Rascal and Cottonwood
    • Colton and Northern
    • Fort Kent to Eagle Lake
    • Canadian Mountain Passes: Revelstoke-Lake Louise"
    DTG the makers of these add-on are telling you on an official DTG page that you get the ELAP
    The Doncaster works is not bad as you get to play around shunting stock

If you don't wish to buy one of these just wait for the next Sale

Peter

7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Thanks, thats the reassurance I needed.

8. Plastic Pal

I thought that this was one of the most helpful posts that I have seen on these Forums. I still do think this, but I would add:

1. If you go to Steam and look at the entries for ELAP and ALAP (American Loco & Asset Pack), there are a few people reporting other newer routes that contain ELAP, and some that contain both ELAP and ALAP.

2. I took the tip regarding the Hong Kong based "Instant Gaming" site, and picked up TS2016 and TS2018 for about £5 each (and the Steam codes worked). TS2017 was out of stock (maybe people were after the Welsh route), but I didn't get the available TS2015 because they then asked for some serious amounts of ID on top of the Credit Card. Date of Birth is one thing that shouldn't be needed, but they also wanted a scan of your face from a passport - and that was way too intrusive for me - so they stopped selling at the third purchase attempt - and you could not put three items into one basket for one purchase, which is very odd.... almost leading you down the path of giving up your passport. So it looks like an ID harvesting scam to me. I will be watching my VISA account very carefully.....!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That is quite interesting
    I have not used this company before but I have used other like GreenMan Gaming and Humble Bundle who have never asked for any details apart from registering to get the codes set to you.

I will let the people on another forum know

Thanks for the feedback

Peter

10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

11. Plastic Pal

I found another supplier that I suggest that people avoid, which is called Kinguin, also based in Hong Kong. I went through the process to purchase one item, but I regretted it afterwards, and will not use them again.

The process involved you paying Kinguin for the product, and then some unknown person (which turned out to be Russian) gifts it to you in Steam (so you have to friend and unfriend them). Meanwhile it turns out that Kinguin asks you for more and more personal data, and requires very odd processes for account validation, and for product delivery. The product worked fine though. But it really isn't worth the risk for a few pennies/cents.

I will have a look at Humble, Green Man and Gamers Gate, but I am quickly becoming wary and weary of these retailers, so I might well just stick to Steam sales in future.

12. ARuscoe

I would never suggest using a third party key provider anyway. They're likely to cause legal issues

• Like Like x 2
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Then you are in the minority.
    If you bought a TS2020 add-on from Just Trains they don't send you the game they give you a Key which you redeem on Steam
    But I presume you think they would be unsafe being a "third party key provider"?

I purchased TS2020 from a company called Humble Bundle
    Why would I buy it as I have TS2020 automatically upgraded?
    Because if gave me the Southampton - Bournemouth Route and the Nuremberg - Regensburg route
    and it also gave me

Train Simulator: Riviera Line in the Fifties: Exeter - Kingswear Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: Western Hydraulics Pack Add-On
    Train Simulator: Miami - West Palm Beach Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: CSX AC6000CW Loco Add-On
    Train Simulator: Weardale & Teesdale Network Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: BR Class 24 Loco Add-On
    Train Simulator: North Jersey Coast Line Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: NJ TRANSIT GP40PH-2B Loco Add-On
    Train Simulator: West Rhine: Köln - Koblenz Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: MRCE BR 185.5 Loco Add-On
    Train Simulator: Chatham Main & Medway Valley Lines Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: BR Class 402 '2-HAL' EMU Add-On
    Train Simulator: Feather River Canyon Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: Western Pacific FP7 'California Zephyr' Loco Add-On
    Train Simulator: Hamburg S1-Bahn Route Add-On
    Train Simulator: DB BR 114 Loco Add-On

The ones I did not want I gifted to friends - which is allowed

I did not need/want about 60% of this stuff but it was in the bundle
    And for just over £15 for the whole lot it was not to be rejected.

But some people don't like buying from anywhere but DTG/Steam

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  14. Plastic Pal

Third time lucky...! Okay - this Gamers Gate site is really very good. Highly recommend. Based in Sweden.

Thanks for the recommendation....! Finally got there...! This is now a go to site for PC games for me.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  15. ARuscoe

Just trains are 2nd party provider associated with Steam and DTG. Don't know how some chinese website gets it's keys, do you?

There are always going to be reputable third party key providers, and many more unscrupulous companies who are quasi legal at best.

16. Plastic Pal

It is not clear to me which websites would fit into the "very much trusted 2nd party website" list, but not in the "might be a dodgy website with legal issues" list. Do you have an updated copy of these lists...?

More seriously - I had no idea what the status of the two HK websites were until after I had completed a purchase.

Anyway - I am posting this here for the same reason as you (I guess), which is to flag up a reminder to be careful. I will certainly be more careful in future - and I really cannot see anything wrong with the Swedish site (Gamers Gate) - and I fully expect that they have a formal relationship with Steam, as a reseller.

17. ARuscoe

Anyone who consistently sells for more than about 10% off is likely to be ripping someone off somewhere, and probably you off in the long term

I think the phrase "HK websites" gives you a clue...

And yup, same reason. Be careful when buying stuff, if it looks too good to be true it probably is. I know enough people in other games that have bought or tried to buy from duff sites and had card details sold, or accounts taken down

18. Plastic Pal

Thank you for your very helpful advice and willingness to understand the point that I was making without misrepresenting it entirely

19. ARuscoe

For me a wesbsite that says "Hey, we can get this product for 70% less than you can" is probably dodgy off the bat. Your requirements for legitimacy may be lower

20. Magic

Magic New Member

If you want a more modern HST go for the MTU pack as it has the modern motors and liveries but go for the Valenta if you want a 1900’s one. Just saying I haven’t had the best experience with Instant-Gaming as it’s a hit or miss if you’ll actually receive your Riviera Line, apparently they use cracked credit cards to buy them so wait for the summer sale as it’s only a month away and will go down to about £5. Oh and by the way use PayPal if you’re buying something from a 3rd party website because you don’t know where your credentials are going.

Last edited: May 24, 2020