Full-route Free-roam Scenarios In Tsw 2020 Routes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stockton Rails, May 24, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Don’t Care

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Hello everybody-

As some of you might already be aware of, in the Hamilton Explorer scenario in the Oakville Sub route, the player has the ability to put together any train you like based on available locos and rolling stock in the scenario. But... you are unfortunately restricted to a fairly small area in the route map in which to run any train you might put together there, and *don’t* have access to the full route.

So... I created a poll to find out if anyone else (besides me) would be interested in having a similar free-roam scenario (for trains) in *all* routes for TSW 2020- that gives you (and your train) access to the entire route, and would not restrict movement to a limited area. Please vote Yes, No, or Don’t Care- whatever your personal take is on having this capability in the sim in the future.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but playing the timetable mode where you spawn in without a train - isn't that free roaming?
    Or do you mean something else?

3. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I don't consider it full roam because you can't drive any trains freely.your traped by dam red signals.

4. Stockton Rails

What I meant by that is being able to put together any train you want (based on locos and rolling stock available in a route), and then being able to run that train anywhere you wanted to in the entire route- from end to end if you like.

It’s like what folks can now do in the Hamilton Explorer scenario in Oakville, but adding the ability to free-roam with your train over the entire route- not restricted to any specific area in the route. Does that make more sense?

5. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

I would definitely want this. But this really nice quality of life update may never come to TSW 2020 but a good proposal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Ah, okay that makes more sense. I put 'don't care', because this doesn't appeal to me. I enjoy playing the scenarios and journey modes. ;)

7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I was going to buy the Canadian dlc until I found out the promised vast industrial area, "a route in itself" was nothing like as big as expected. I'm not sure about the idea of free roam. I wouldn't, for example, want to aimlessly drive anywhere I liked, green signals all the way, no other trains moving. What I would like is for them to write interesting scenarios which use every yard, siding, industrial branch, which a route has to offer. When you buy a route and have your first drive along it and see fascinating sidings or factories, and think how good it would be to drop some wagons off there or wait in that loop while an express passes, only to realise it's not going to happen, it's disappointing. Your example of Hamilton explorer should include a main line run once the train is complete, otherwise, what's the point? And the industrial area should be completed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stockton Rails

As far as objective-based scenarios and journeys are concerned, I like both of these... but you’re right- they could definitely make some of them more involved and use more of the entire route in them (and I would like those changes too). I also like your idea of free-roam scenarios having functional signaling and add’l operating trains on the tracks and in some of the yards- I would like to see that added to Hamilton Explorer in Oakville and to any free-roam scenarios added to existing routes or to new routes in the future.

That said, I really did enjoy putting a couple of long unit trains together using the Hamilton Explorer scenario in Oakville Sub... it was definitely a rewarding experience (for me anyway) seeing these two trains sitting side by side in the yard when I was done. Now I just need to be able to actually take these trains somewhere in the route... and if enough folks are genuinely interested in these proposed changes, maybe we can all get there someday.

Thanks for your post and the good info!

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2