PlayStation Purely Out Of Curiosity..

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Thunderer, May 25, 2020.

1. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

..does anyone know what these structures are supposed to be?

They're visible from just outside of Minehead station in WSR.

Train Sim World_20200525141328.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It looks like a big marquee in a field unless it’s supposed to be the Minehead Eye’s pointy roof structure and it’s way off the mark.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

If you are referring to the pointy bits in the distance..... then it's probably the tented stage covering at Butlins.....

Aaaah.... Butlins.... Skegness.... Memories of dodgy burgers.... a swimming pool that helps you build up future immunity to a wide range of viruses.... and.... children forced to do things like beauty contests

I actually came second in the beauty contest.... (like on the the Monopoly card). My greatest achievement....! And there were four entrants... ;-)

Hi-Dee.... Hi-Dee....Hi....!

Ho-Dee..... Ho-Dee.....Ho......!

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Thunderer

Capture.JPG

Funny story Plastic!

And yes you're right, it is indeed the Butlins Holiday Village at Minehead:

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Plastic Pal

Oh wow... they call it a "village" now do they...?

The funniest thing with the beauty contest was that there were prizes for the top three kids.... which meant that the kid destined to be fourth out of four was about to have a really bad life experience.... So they made the "third" place a tie between third/fourth... so that everyone in this limited field of competition won a prize, and none of the kids felt singled out as "the not beautiful one"....

My genetics earned me a board game called "Animal Chess" - basically chess, but with jungle animal pieces. Which was actually quite cool. Possibly the best prize I have ever won, until I started to win bottles of whiskey many years later... ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thunderer

I think they dropped the 'camp' bit a few years ago. Sounds a bit too militaristic!

When I was a kid we went to the Butlins at Barry Island in South Wales.

I got kicked off the kids pedalos because I told this older boy who had been ramming my boat to piss off, he told the attendant and it was me that got kicked off, the injustice of it!

I got my own back later in the week when I nearly crippled him playing football, and justice was restored. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Plastic Pal

Did you get to visit the scrap yard at Barry? A bitter-sweet location, I would imagine - the grave of so many trains... but because they took so long scrapping them it was also the source of countless preserved locomotives and loco parts...!

• Like Like x 1