High Speed!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TrainSim_Fan, May 24, 2020.

1. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

I'm sure that at least a few people would agree with me when I say that TSW needs a proper high speed line as the best we have now is Gwe which technically speaking isn't a high speed line as they must have speeds of atleast 160mph compared to Gwe's 125mph. My suggestions for routes would be:
    •Hs1 - This UK route would suit TSW quite well as a section of the line is high speed the other section is commuter tracks. The line would go between Maidstone West and London St Pancras International, with intermediate stops at Snodland, Strood, Gravesend, Ebbsfleet International and Stratford before arriving at St Pancras. This route is 45 miles long so within reason.
    •Or a TGV route.
    •Or a Shinkansen route.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TrainSim_Fan

Anyone have an opinions about any of these??????

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. jackmiller1234567890

jackmiller1234567890 Well-Known Member

I like these ideas but separate choose a route and add info such as rolling stock, locos and maybe add some photos and a route map. To get a general idea of what the community tends to expect look at some other suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

About 160mph+ running lines? I don’t think so unfortunately. If you’re able to run that fast and a route is only 50 miles at best, you’ll end up at your destination in 20-30 minutes which is nowhere near enough. Even the GWE route at only 125mph is far too short to enjoy the HST not to mention the fact that there is no chance to do any nice high speed station stops other than perhaps Slough. The GWE route is adequate for the turbo but absolutely not for the HST.

Plus I don’t really understand your post. You start to discuss about high speed lines and how speed should be at least 160mph compared to the mere GWE at only 125mph yet you propose a route, HS1, which only operate at 140mph.

Aside the viability of it, I personally would rather see some of the iconic Intercity routes including East Coast Mainline, West Coast Mainline, Midland Mainline, Great Eastern Mainline and the rest of the Great Western Mainline. The issue with high speed routes such as HS1 is that it is in cab signalling and usually a boring multiple unit. In cab signalling is exceptionally boring because you just do as the computer tells you and is very repetitive. I wouldn’t mind seeing it one day in the future but you can hardly say we have an abundance of 125mph routes/traction that you fancy a change as I think it’s only the HST on GWE that can do 125mph for about 20 minutes. That’s it. I’d also like to see some of the commuter and metro networks such as South Western Mainline and Southern Mainline.

• Like Like x 4
  5. TrainSim_Fan

Couple of things to clear up:
    • The lines rolling stock would be a class 395 - couldn't find any suitable pictures.
    • And the line takes 40 to 50 minutes because as I said the line between Maidstone West to Ebsfleet International is NOT high speed, the high speed lines start after Ebbsfleet to St Pancras International.
    • In terms of when I refer to the speeds of high speed in lines I probably should of mentioned that for a newly built line the speeds should be 160mph and for lines that have been upgraded the speeds should be 130mph.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TrainSim_Fan

• Another train for this route would be the electro star class 375 running between Strood and Maidstone West.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TrainSim_Fan

• And if you have driven the 395 in Train Simulator 2020, you'll know it's not boring especially when changing from train shoes to the pantograph at Ebsfleet International.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TrainSim_Fan

• In terms of your ideas I personally agree with East Coast Mainline.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Much as I'd love to see the Shinkansen, route length would be an issue, even the shortest line (Joetsu) is a match for the longest TS Classic Route (the extended TGV) - also I have to wonder if TS Classic is more suited to high speed, I mean the Get out and explore doesn't really work when stations are maybe 50km or more apart and 99.9% of the time the higher TSW detail would be a blur from the speed (but would have to be included in case the player stopped to have a look) That said TS Classic's physics doesn't handle TGV speeds well as the train is changing angle on curves and inclines faster then the game can calculate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Decide what speed high speed is. ;)
    Personally, anything above 125mph I would consider high speed (although this may not be the official definition) simply because conventional signalling- colour light signals- is not allowed above 125mph and instead, in cab signalling is required.

My geography of the SouthEastern route isn’t brilliant so I checked up online and I’m very confused because Maidstone West is not on the high speed line. Actually, looking at it again, HS1 do run a limited service to Maidstone West with only 4 trains a day Monday to Friday only and no trains running on the weekend. It’s not really a viable route on its own.

You’re quite right it’s 43 miles long taking approximately 51 minutes. However, as you’ve said yourself, most of the route is not high speed because London to Ebbsfleet International is 22 miles taking approximately 18 minutes. So even if high speed was your thing and something you really want, I’d hardly say 18 minutes is enough. If Dovetail advertised and promoted this as a high speed route and you found out you only got 18 minutes, there would be a lot of disappointed people on here.

I like the electrostar and the 377 is fantastic but I’d rather see more variety. We only have 3 modern UK traction- HST, 377 and 165. There’s so much more to see in the UK. I always thought the UK was wonderful for the variety and quality of traction and I’d like the non-UK members that play TSW to see what the country has to offer.

I’ve attached a picture of the train and cab. The Class 800s are very similar. (Not my pictures)

7E6106A2-9F38-4A48-BC44-1AB87DF8A58C.jpeg 561B0166-229C-40C7-B84D-5BADAC9D9C42.jpeg

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TrainSim_Fan

4 services per day run to Maidstone West but my theory was you would drive the first half of some services as far as strood.

• Like Like x 1