Pre-"summer Sale" Sale (midweek Madness) - Budget Dilemmas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyclone, May 27, 2020.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

OK, I was planning to grab stuff at the summer sale in a month, but it looks like there is going to be an early chance to go bankrupt. I've already identified Exeter-Paignton, Goblin Lines (includes North London Lines), South London Network (bonus Class 378 scenarios with Goblin Lines), the two Canadian routes (I'm Canadian), Western Lines of Scotland, and Morristown as important pickups. GEML London-Ipswich is also vital, as is Settle to Carlisle, but they can do better. A separate German Collection bundle includes Cologne-Dusseldorf , but again not a high discount this time. Definitely getting Munich-Augsburg (vital for the Bremen workshop route, may get the 232 but will get the ICE 2 with Hamburg-Hanover). Also adding Netherfield as it's cheaper with four locos than a couple of the locos individually.

Things I'm debating currently include Corris, Midland Mainline (been looking at this for a bit, but not vital), KwaZulu (found ten workshop scenarios needing it including a four-parter), Norfolk Southern Coal District (passed on it once), The Racetrack, Munich - Rosenheim, and some low-price ones. London-Peterborough is important, but not on sale, so Steam Summer Sale for that perhaps (I'll have to get Sheerness with it).

I haven't even looked at locos in general yet, and I have a few of them in mind as well. If I didn't have an educational loan to deal with, this would be an extremely easy decision, but I'm thinking I might have to hold off on a lot of this. I am considering some scenario packs and trains which are also on sale for them, including the GP40, Horseshoe Curve, North Jersey/Morristown, Feather River Canyon, and New York-New Haven (only pack 1 for now, other pack has a non-discounted loco). Likely going to prioritize the GP40 packs, but may add another and those locos. Also looking at the ScotRail Class 68 Loco since Just Trains routes tend to use it, and the Class 08s due to workshop use. The EWS Class 66 and Freightliner Class 66 v2.0 are also targets for me, with the 70 being a definite get as I see it and the TEA Tanker/MJA Wagons a lot in the workshop. Also looking at the Class 156, Class 150/1 (I get it, the sounds aren't good, but it's for South Wales Coastal; the scenario pack has to wait for the 220's sale), NEC's Genesis, FL9 and M8 among others, and tossing around other ideas trying to find the ones that would give me the most playability.

Which is where I want to ask what you guys think. What should I get for the most play value? Scenarios are a big thing to me, official or workshop, so what will get me going in a good direction from a loco standpoint?. Remember I can't get the BNSF stuff or Marias Pass, which still angers me because those get a LOT of workshop attention (either the locos on other routes or just the route itself), but otherwise I'm curious. Also, what are you guys looking at picking up in this sale? I'm probably going to get many items in that first list, as they are either regional or things that are vital for my eventual play (except Netherfield, it's just a good deal), but I'm open to suggestions otherwise. :)

2. Marc von Hoffrichter

Marc von Hoffrichter Member

WLOS and Netherfield. WLOS is a good long route with tons of wksp material by green dragon. Netherfield is great local coaling locale routes and yards, 50's/60's.
    I just bought a swag of Marketplace liveries today as I have the majority of UK routes. Just the unreasonably priced ones remain at this stage, I can wait...…..I hope!!
    Happy hunting cobber!

3. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I've bought four today already, G.A.R.L. (which wasn't on sale unfortunately), Edingburgh/Glasgow and Bristol/Exeter because they are all dependants for the excellent South West Wales 5.5.1 freeware route (I was already driving it but there were a good few missing assets which now all seem to be complete).
    I already owned everything else needed for the route (apart from a couple of loco/DMU's needed for some of the scenarios which I can get at a later date or maybe I'll just TS Tools the living daylights out of them instead)

The fourth was a marketplace torpedo wagon as it'll compliment my Port Talbot steelworks scenarios that I often make, they're not exactly the right type but they're close enough and at £1.49 I'm not going to worry about it either.

Now to remember to hide the bank statements from the good lady (although in reality that's impossible because we internet bank) :mad::D

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Of the routes mentioned (and that I actually own):

Haven't had GEML long but like it well enough. I bought it because my dad's from Harwich and I have fond memories of taking the train to Dovercourt to visit my grandparents- I still need to get the Just Trains add-on before it will start to scratch that nostalgia itch.

Settle-Carlisle is rather limited when it comes to operational variety and may show its age but looks decent and if you're in the mood to just take a drive and watch the scenery go by you can't do much better.

WLoS is a lovely route- I wouldn't have bought it without some appropriate Diesels (Classes 20 and 27 were going cheap at the same time) but would not have regretted getting it even if I was stuck with kettles*. You don't mention The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s which has always been my favourite route and I think has much the same sensibility. If you have the W&T and like it you'll like WLoS. If you get the WLoS and like it look out for the W&T in future.

You could shop around on other sites for older editions of TS- if there's one with a bundle of routes you're interested in it can be a bargain. At least one includes a route that is no longer generally available (TS2018 with North Wales).

Ye olde European and UK Loco's and Assets and US Loco's and Assets packs are a bit long in the tooth and out of favour now but are much used by scenario makers so having them can make many more Workshop scenarios available to you. Having said that don't buy them! Instead get a route or older edition of TS that includes them. WCML (North) includes both usually for considerably less than the cost of either and is well worth having on its own merits (unless you're bothered about Career points- the scenarios are rubbish).

*I shall now retire to a safe distance, put some popcorn on and await Broomwagon's reaction.

5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yes - it is a dilemma.... ;-)

I would immediately say that South London Network, at anything under £100 is a great buy. I got it for about £5 in March, but now for £6.... you just have to get it. After that... well.... to be boring, I would say that you could try any of these approaches (some of which you already clearly do)...

- set a hard limit on how much you want to spend, and then prioritise from your list
    - set a limit on price you will pay for each route DLC (say... only under £10, or only under £4 for a loco)
    - if you are buying for "eventual play"... then maybe wait for another sale later in the year....?
    - really think hard whether you really really will use a route (or assets, if you like to build)
    - check availability of workshop scenarios

I will be getting the Goblin route (even though I already have the North London Line, as this adds a substantial bit of track...). I am also thinking of KwaZulu as something different, and maybe one of the Japanese routes. The Class 14 looks like a good punt for £2. The three hydraulics for £4 also looks worthy (Classes 35, 42 and 52 with multiple liveries for each). Plus the APT-P Class 370 for about £5 is a tempter... now that the signals are working again, and now that it will load in.

Another punt, which I might regret... is the London Transport Heritage DLC at £4.... but as long as the Class 20s have a decent engine sound it will be worth it - although I might also use the route with some NSE stock to get some NSE themed screenshots. I am also tempted to try the WCML Trent Valley DLC. It is quite old.... but it did get very good reviews... And I am curious about how the route was constructed. Thanks to Reef for the tip above about Bristol-Exeter - I had ruled this one out earlier... but I might now bite (unlike your cat)... ;-)

I would finally add that the amount that I would spend could have been £0. It would have been £0.... if DTG did not repair the DB BR 155 on RSN on PS4, because someone hid my wallet until the fix came through.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  6. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

If you've got Riviera in the '50s get the Diesel-hydraulics- you'll love them. A bit light on scenarios but the Workshop makes up for that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

First, regarding the BNSF stuff, I know it's a licensing issue primarily. I don't expect that to change, either. I'm salty over how they were packaged with the CN items (the GP9 and SD70, perhaps another), and something wasn't done about that five years ago to create a new worldwide version. But that's me. I did find that Ohio Steel 2 actually includes two CN items with it, and the same CN items I think come with the Fort Kent to Eagle Lake, so now I have to decide whether Ohio Steel 2 is worth the hold for a better deal as it seems to be at the minimum deal and I think will get another sale in June. I do think a worldwide edition of Marias Pass would have solved one of the problems, installed to the same location as the other but without BNSF labels, but I inquired about this and they said there are other reasons for this besides licensing. I don't know if it's age, but I am mystified otherwise. I'm going to have to utilize help and other tricks if I am ever going to play this route (either that or move to America, then I can buy it).

Settle to Carlisle is often used in the workshop, I find. One maker I researched, in fact, used it on almost every scenario made, either as the track or (more commonly) for a loco or assets contained in it. So provided those scenarios are any good, it already gives a ton of value. I am just going to wait for the better price. I already have Wearsdale/Teesdale, and I've already picked up the 2018 key to give me North Wales Coastal (sadly, the route to Holyhead is forever cut off unless there is an unused key somewhere). I also acquired South Wales Coastal to Swansea and the Welsh Marches back during the last chance on those (I hinted at this noting the 150/1 was being considered for the scenario pack, which is on that route). I also have Miami, North Jersey Coast Line (I have to buy Morristown), West Rhines, Hamburg S1, the Chatham pair, the CS6000CW, Western Hydraulics, and everything else from that Humble Bundle (it included W/T as well)..The bundle did NOT include the asset packs, so when I made my first outside buy of Donner and Ruhr-Sieg, plus something else with them, I was surprised when both asset packs arrived. So that took care of that already. I also picked up the scenario pack for Donner Pass when it was on sale, and picked up Battle for Sherman Hill despite having a few items already, so it's going to be where I debut my stream eventually. WCML North I already own, as well as Great Western Main Line, East Coast Main Line, and I think others; I don't have Edinburgh-Newcastle yet, but I have thought about breaking my style and picking it up because it's an instant classic, being available previously only on JT.
    Goblin also comes with the 378, so if you don't have NLL or the 378 you get a good bundle there! The 378 scenarios are for SLN, however, so yes, that is a pair I'm picking up. I am considering the Japanese routes, and looked up the Sakurai route and The Story of Forest Rail, but right now they have limited workshop use (Sakurai has a few, but it's also $22 CAD). I'm thinking of sticking to the U.K., Germany, and U.S. for this sale (with the two Canadian routes planned as they fall under U.S. - another mistake IMO regarding CN livery pairing LOL). So you really like Bristol-Exeter? I noticed it doesn't have any trains with it, only scenarios...but I have heard it's one of the classics, as well, even at that price. Trent Valley would intro me to Thomson Interactive as I held off on the Glasgow Airport Rail Link previously.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Take them all but ask your bank first ;)

9. Cyclone

"Bank, should I do this?"

"It results in more money for us on the transaction, so yes. Add another, while you're at it!"

...not helpful. :P