[solved]need Advice For The Consist Blueprint Editor Concerning Bin Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VION, May 26, 2020.

1. VION

VION Active Member

Hello,
    reading carefully the well explained tutorial from MattPeddlesden dated of 2015 year to how to use the "Consist Blueprint Editor" to build a consist, http://trainsimlive.blogspot.com/2015/04/creating-consists-via-blueprints-for.html but what I'm unsure is for the item "Blueprint ID" in the "Consist entry" item pointing to the needed asset (Loco or carriage or wagons) ending by a .bin file extension. What I understood from Matt explanation is to replace the .bin file extension by .xml extension; right but does I have to convert before, the "file.bin" with serz.exe inside my assets folder for my needed loco/car/wagon file or doesn't matter? I don't try to leave my asset file with only the .bin extension in its original folder and replacing only by .xml extension file in the "Blueprint ID" item.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Have fun with TS and keep you safe and healthy.
    Friendly
    Gerard

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The way the .bin / xml files work is a SERZ converts train.bin to train.xml
    If your computer is set to deal with the *.bin files just double clicking will convert it to an xml version with the same name
    When you have finished editing you right click on train.xml and open with SERZ which changes the train.bin to the updated version

BUT - make a copy of your train.bin and rename it to train.old first
    IF you make a mistake editing the xml file then convert it to a *.bin the loco/wagon/asset won't work
    You could delete your revised copy and rename train.old to train.bin

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  3. VION

VION Active Member

Thank you Peter but what I need to know is does I have to convert the pointed "Blueprint ID" train.bin or wagon.bin file inside its original folder before I rename it in the Blueprint ID item ? Is it necessary to have the train.xml file inside the pointed asset folder by the "Blueprint ID" item fro the Blueprint Entry in the Blueprint Editor program? Is it necessary to have the train.xml or wagon.xml file inside their original folder with the xml extension not only the bin extension? Or is the Blueprint Editor able to know that the file pointed in the "Blueprint ID" which needs to be renamed with the xml extension but which in the original directory where this file is stored has a .bin extension?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sorry as I have no idea what you are trying to do I cannot help with that question

But
    I needed to change something on the RSC Class 33 because the brake handle was not smooth enough
    So I went in to the files for the loco and found the one called Class33.bin
    I doubled click and SERZ created a file called Class33.xml
    I used Notepad to amend the file and then I saved the Class33.xml file
    Then I right clicked on the Class33.xml and chose Open With SERZ.
    That caused the Class33.bin file to be updated and the brakes work better now.

I don't know if that helps but it explains how the bits work

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. VION

VION Active Member

Thanks Peter to try to help me as I'm not enough familiar with English language and if you never used the blueprint editor to build a consist I understand that isn't easy to help what I ask for. To resume what I need to know: does the two files loco.bin and his loco.xml converted have to exist both inside the original folder that Blueprint consist editor for the item Blueprint ID can recognize his needed file even when we rename the loco.bin by loco.xml in the Blueprint ID box. Matt said in his excellent tutorial to rename the loco.bin by loco.xml in the pathfilename sat in the Blueprint ID box but I don't know if the loco.xml must exist in the destination folder path.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The loco.bin has to exist in a specific folder and it is usually the Engine folder.
    The XML file is Not used by the game but it used in Editing the loco.bin

In the European Loco and Asset Pack is a DB BR101
    Its Path is railworks\Assets\Kuju\RailSimulator\RailVehicles\Electric\BR101\
    BR101.jpg

Inside the folder there is only a br101.bin and no br101xml.

If I use SERZ on the br101.bin it creates a copy of the file called br101.xml
    I could then Edit the xml version if I wished to change something
    When I have finished I would use SERZ on the br101.xml file which would update the br101.bin with the changes
    After the br101.bin has been updated then the br101.xml could be deleted as it is not used by the game

I'm sorry I don't speak any other language
    If you don't find what you are after you could try a Forum in your own language?

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. VION

VION Active Member

Yes thank you very much Peter I have well understood what you explain. But in my case my question is for the Blueprint editor and for the process to build a consist with this editor tool. My question is only about the "Blueprint Editor" in its part to build a "consist" and more specifically to inform the path to the file that must be put in the box "Blueprint ID". Matt says in his tutorial that we need to change the extension of the file for example "loconame.bin" to "loconame.xml". What I would like to know is that it is necessary to have the version "loconame.xml" in the storage directory in addition to the file "loconame.bin" that must exist obviously for everything to go well.

Friendly
    Gerard

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As I said above the xml file does nothing in the game you could delete it after use.
    Just have a look in anything that DTG has produced and there are no xml files in the folders.
    I don't use the Blueprint Editor - I don't know many people that do.

Are you, or do you speak French?
    There is a very good forum at https://www.railsim-fr.com/forum/
    Maybe somebody there uses the Blueprint Editor?

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. VION

VION Active Member

Yes Peter many thanks for the advice. yes I know this french forum and I'm a member. I will ask there if someone could help me.
    In all case your interest is very appreciated to try to help me and all your effort trying to help. TVM

Friendly
    Gerard

• Like Like x 1
  10. VION

VION Active Member

Ok Peter I just went to test without the loconame.xml in the folder just having the loconame.bin and all is working fine. These xml files are nothing to do and useless by TS; tough they are needed to edit or modify their corresponding .bin file. after altering the xml file and converted again to bin we can delete the xml file. Well understood.
    Have fun with TS.
    Friendly
    Gerard

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Any asset needs the bin file but you can not normally edit that file.
    Serz enables you to convert a bin file to to something you can edit - an xml
    After the edit the file is written back to the bin file and the game reads that.

Think of it like a Digital Picture
    You open the picture with some software but until you save it the Original is unaltered

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  12. VION

VION Active Member

Thank you Peter for the accuracy. I had well understood what was the xml file and how to use it. I had some time ago already modified some cabview files to suit my favorite position of the driver view I knew how to use the .bin and .xml files.
    Anyway I know now that xml files are useless by TS to be able to run well just the bin files are important for the game. I only was thinking I must keep the xml file in addition to its corresponding bin file. bin files are needed for TS but not xml files.

Friendly
    Gerard

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1