Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't understand the angst about Mastery, I just don't use it, I don't even know what it is for. If it doesn't work or isn't for you then just don't bother with it, it is not like it is compulsory!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this, especially with additional services. I think TVL has become my fave UK route- it was too empty at launch, but has been added to nicely. I also wish they'd add more shunting services for the 08- the current offerings are pretty slim.

• Like Like x 2
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I honestly think the Class 313 would've been a better choice for ECW compared to the Class 20 for TVL. The latter already has quite variety of freight services.

British DLC is dying for something modern and/or to add to an existing modern route.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Fair point, and since GWE seems to be abandoned, ECW would be the only choice. Not really familiar with the 313, is it an EMU?

• Like Like x 1
  5. londonmidland

Yes. Its usually used on the Seaford branch and sometimes used to Eastbourne. Its a lot more common to see a Class 313 on the Seaford branch than it is to see a Class 377. So its a train which is used quite a bit, and is definitely required to fill in that missing jigsaw piece in ECW, as we've currently only got the Class 377 for passenger services.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. theorganist

How do you know one isn't being developed? I am sure it takes time not just a few days to create DLC whether it is a train or a route.They may have started on the class 20's earlier!

• Like Like x 2
  7. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

I... don't think anyone said that. This *is* the speculation thread, anyway...

In fact, it looksike in general they release content for each of the 3 big countries/regions in groups, so in addition to the class 20 and the next route, there's probably one or two more loco DLC's, like the 313...

• Like Like x 1
  8. theorganist

Fair point but it did seem to read as a factual statement as though one was being created but not the other, maybe it is just the way I read it. I speculate that a class 313 will be made as I am sure they realise they need to do something for ECW, especially given its length.

Then again I speculated that a Pacer would be released and that hasn't happened.....yet!

• Like Like x 2
  9. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

My idea would be to scrap it and pretend it never existed. It was poorly thought out, badly implemented and never expanded upon (to date). It doesn’t work for everyone and if you’ve been playing since day one then it’s takes longer to complete the objectives. Levelling 5 times in the Class 166 is harder when you’re a high level than if you’ just picked the game up and are level 1.

Just get rid of it and concentrate on the core gameplay, things that actually matter and what you’re paying customers want.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I like Mastery because it gives more reason to go back to some older routes to revisit them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I dislike it because it doesn't work. It was a nice idea but it just didn’t work out. Time to scrap it, in the next UI upgrade. Then walk away whistling like it never existed.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

My speculation is that now that the Class 20 for Tees has been announced, the next British route will be exactly one month after the release of it. This is because the last Tees addon (Class 31) was released on 14th of November and then East Coastway followed on the 12th of December.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Anthony, to go back to the old routes, DTG would do some new scenarios, with new locos, that would attract more people. At least that's what I think

• Like Like x 2
  14. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

That’s the right reason to make people go back to old routes, not a half hearted “thing” which Mastery is. I’d love to have new Scenarios for GWE but unless we get some new dlc for it, forget it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. londonmidland

It literally adds one tile of scenery to the route. It’s hardly revolutionary nor does it want make me to go back and play it again.

As said already, scrap this half baked rubbish which was poorly implemented from the start and make something which is actually useful for the simulator.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

As said above, instead of wasting time on useless gimmicks like Mastery, they should try adding more services on the layers. Take GWE for instance, even without the addition of the Heathrow Express, it needs more Freight (Acton is dead!) and passenger services - in real life a train arrives/departs Paddington every 4 minutes or so - that said adding the Heathrow service would be a lovely addition and revisiting the 166's to display destin...... oh forget it, won't happen!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

If the mastery challenges were were more fun, and the rewards were better it could be a good system.

On MSB drive 10 miles with PZB

On NTP stop within 3 yards from the end of a platform

On GWE Acknowledge 10 AWS alerts

On LIRR complete a service without going 3 MPH above the speed limit

Rewards could be Concept art or maybe in game manuals for specific trains. Scenery tiles are ok rewards, it's just that some of them are bad like the LIRR one.

• Like Like x 2
  18. kikelj.blaz

kikelj.blaz Member

Does anyone also think that one big DLC is coming soon.
    It has been 2 months since last route released and in that time three locos were added. One was not even from DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that may be the case. With the longer wait and from clues here and there, there is certainly the anticipation of something big coming along. Cautious optimism is the key as there is sometimes a smattering of ‘hopes not quite being lived up to’ with TSW releases. We will see when something is announced, fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Covid lockdown, this has surely thrown a spanner into the works and delayed everything.

I remain skeptical. Will believe it when I see it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

In one of the day stream, Matt said that it hasn't really impacted things. Only around a week for everyone to be setup. Routes takes months to make so I think they should of visited the next route before lockdown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Oh man, remember the whole buildup of mysterious hype around the full release of TSW on consoles? They were making such a big deal about it and everything, when really it meant almost nothing to those who already owned the game, especially on PC... (even for consoles it only meant "you can buy other DLC now")

A couple years ago now, but something to keep in mind before getting TOO excited about things...

• Like Like x 3
  23. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’m hoping the next British route is the flagship route for TSW 2021, like Peninsula Corridor was for TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 4
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Before my time all that but I can imagine that had some huge build-up. We’re all getting giddy now about something we don’t even know about!

• Like Like x 1
  25. londonmidland

I’m hoping the next route will be of a decent length, something in the range of 50 miles give or take, as well as introducing a new core feature at the same time. Such as proper wheel slip or working passenger information screens, for example.

At the same time, I have a feeling nothing will change, and we’ll end up with a pretty mediocre 30-40 mile route.

• Like Like x 6
  26. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

ÿes

• Like Like x 1
  27. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

New to this forum so forgive me if it's been mentioned before but didn't the DTG team visit Virgin a few months back and had a play with a 390 simulator? Maybe the next UK route will be something involving that?

• Like Like x 1
  28. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Well virgin are gone and under new owners that I'm fairly sure they don't have a licence for so no, probably won't be that.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I hope the next UK route has both express and stopping services, as well as freight of course. I also think if they were intending to release a Pacer as a loco add on they would have done it by now, so my guess they're saving it for a new route.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

weve been waiting 3years for a decent UK modern route, with variety. However now they have released ECW that sort of kills that stone, even though it was done well i find it very repetative and boring just like GWE because of the legnth. And now theyve shown a class 20 coming i believe the UK will be forgotten about again until christmas time once more, they simply make what they want to/is easiest and fastest to make. I dont buy the statement from matt saying 'vintage and old style takes alot longer'......so why is the UK content 75% vintage and 25% modern. Makes no sense to me, and the fact before TSW was even released 'multiplayer will certainly be a key feature for this game, its something weve wanted to do for years and with this engine we can finally deliver that'........
    3years on: Whens multiplayer coming matt? 'no news on that im afraid we'd like to in future'.

When can we have longer routes?
    Matt: 'no news on that im afraid, we would like to in future'.

When is the editor out matt? any ideas?
    Matt: 'No news on that im afraid, when we have news we will tell'.

When will the ai be fixed as passengers are awful and unrealistic?
    'No news on that im afraid, the engine we chose really limits what we can do'.

Will we see P.I.S working and other fool features you mentioned?
    Matt: 'no news on that im afraid, we would like to in future but the engine is hard to work with'.

I just see a pattern for the past 12months plus of dont care, give us money, we'll ask you what youd like on the forums and go for the opposite or reply with 'wed like to in future' or 'no plans on that yet'. Pathetic, when you see games like RDD2 charge 60pounds for over 140GB of game detailings and open-world fun, yet this costs average 22 pound per DLC and full of bugs, limited features and nonsense DLC. It is basically a good looking arcade game, nothing more. You cannot charge double the price for half the game looking pretty.

Rant over lol
    I give up buying DLC now, I supported DTG buying everything from release just to try support development but screw that now, theyll make what they want, otherwise there would be polls before every development let the people vote from options or take informatiom from the surveys instead of looking through them and this and say 'well thats not gonna happen'.

• Like Like x 5
  31. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Did you just compare TSW with a game that took 2000 developers 8 years to make with a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars and subsequently went on to break sales records? Well, I suppose they do both work on a Playstation, so it’s a valid comparison. I’m pretty sure if 2000 people spent 8 years making a train simulator it would be better than TSW and I’m sure we would all pay several thousand pounds for it. Back in the real world...

• Like Like x 6
  32. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Maybe they don't do modern content because they don't have any licenses left hahah

• Like Like x 2
  33. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I can see how vintage content takes more time in terms of research. I do think however its time for a longer route. The TVL/GBRF railtour class 20 has been announced, but a UK route is still likely.

• Like Like x 1
  34. theorganist

I think the next route will be a UK route. I am happy if it is BR period or post privatisation (depending on the route) although would prefer the former. Would prefer a steam period route even more but we don't always get what we want.

Well that could be a genuine problem and reason why, and if they release unbranded stock then the internet will collapse in a meltdown of angry train simmers!

How do you know that they aren't basing their decisions on feedback? The ECW was requested from what I can remember although granted probably not in the truncated state we have received it.

Also it may takes months to build a route, if you had a poll the route might not come out till a year later and then everyone would be angrily saying "this route was the most requested but DTG have ignored us" probably followed by the usual cries of money grabbers etc, etc!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  35. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Would there be a meltdown if they released an unbranded Class 390 Pendolino (for example) and created a WCML route for it to run on?

If it meant I could drive a Class 390, I’d happily take something unbranded over not driving it at all..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  36. theorganist

Well it wouldn't worry me and obviously it wouldn't worry you, but I have seen people moaning before when unbranded stock has been released, not just by DTG.

And, being facetious I don't think some need an excuse to moan about DTG!

• Like Like x 2
  37. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

I've made a discovery by looking close at the different DLCs Cover and suddenly I stopped at ECW. And recognized a different display on the 377. As you can see the doors are in Black and Black means SDO cut out. Mhhh Interesting. Also there's a gap between the destination view and the door view and on the picture there is a small menu featured right in the gap. And when looking at the whole display there are 3 registers featured at the bottom while looking at the real display, I could only find 1 register in the normal view. So they may be working on an update or troubleshooting stuff?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s entirely possible that they intended for it to be featured but couldn’t get it to work properly so left it out. If that was the case, whether they have continued to work on it is anybody’s guess. It would be an interesting feature to have working for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  39. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

Nah, they just love photoshop

• Like Like x 5
  40. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

The proper scientific term is "bullshot". The melding of the words screenshot and... nonsense :)

It's very common in gaming, you get used to it. Touched-up screenshots are now part and parcel of game marketing. The rest of the ECW marketing image is photoshopped as well, look at the frosted window for example. Or the snowflakes.

• Like Like x 3
  41. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it's release

• Like Like x 2
  42. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I think yes since the successor to TSW 2020 should be round the corner, in a major update like last year of course.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Ian1991

So ignore 80% of my post and take it literally about another example? if you're happy paying on average 16 pound per month all year round for all DLC that is below-par, rushed and not what the majority have asked for then be my guest, next time dont ignore the main point of my post.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Ian1991

Just another 'cant be arsed' moment from DTG.

or the standard reply of 'the game engine we chose and said would revolutionise the game is actually pants and we cant work with it'.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I think that all you need to do is consider the literal meanings of the words "Simulator" and "Mastery".

So - if you want to measure something, then it should be "skill". This could include things like timekeeping stopping accuracy (as currently done very loosely with Action Points).....but the "Mastery" bit should really be measuring things like:

- not hitting anything;
    - obeying signals;
    - complying with speed limits;
    - not slipping from stand-still (or when underway for any amount of time);
    - not using emergency brakes;
    - not applying a huge amount of traction against braking force;
    - not braking too stiffly;
    - being in the optimum gear in certain locos/DMUs; and,
    - conservative use of energy/fuel.

As an aside, some of the above (or perhaps all of them), are already used in TS1, and used to judge your driving in Career Mode. But TSW would need to have its "simulator" aspects enhanced quite a lot before you could start seeing this in "Mastery".

There should still be a meaningful measure of progress - along with stats and trophies/achievements, but I would prefer to see most of the trophies/achievements aligned to specific actions/events, like using a turntable for the first time, etc., or running a triple-headed train, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  46. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Wait but does TSW accurately measure and show the use of fuel/energy? Bc I don’t think so, the gauges barely move, or only move a little to add realism but practically no one really check them.

47. Plastic Pal

I was doing a "Doncaster Works" scenario.... and it deducted points for excessive fuel use for being in high revs in the Class 03 (too low a gear...). Genius DLC that - and it cost me £1.19..... LOL.... I lost a handful of points on fuel... maybe -50..... but I really took my time carefully moving all the smashed up locos.... and right at the end the scenario gave me a timeliness penalty of -875,000 points.... ;-O

• Like Like x 2
  48. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Funny you should bring up £16 a month because that is just £1 over my personal budget for spending on TSW, and despite the well documented issues with bugs, I’m happy to spend that and overall I get excellent value for money. You compared TSW to RDR2 (you actually called it RDD2, which I think is a droid in Star Wars :D) and it formed a large part of your argument about the price, which was what I replied about. The rest of your post was regarding not getting the news you want from DTG about the features you want, which is also related to the much much smaller budget and sales figures than the one game you compared it to in your post. That’s all it was, a reply about how the two games are not at all comparable.

• Like Like x 3
  49. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It probably does, but because trains will always spawn with enough fuel and every route/service can be completed in a few hours, I suppose it's barely any consumption for it to be noticeable, let alone something the player should be worrying about.

It's one of those things in TSW that is a great detail, but is basically meaningless and will get overlooked 99% of the time because gameplay just doesn't include it. Like the cold start procedures, because every service spawns already running, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Plastic Pal

Oooh - I forgot - the Class 66 actually measures (well... reports...) fuel flow - you can check it on the computer above your head.... in TSW.

• Like Like x 1