Starting Norfolk Southern

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dksherman, May 31, 2020.

1. dksherman

dksherman New Member

I'm a newbie trying to get started on this route (OK with UK and Germany). First Quick drive is EMD GP-38 High Nose. Starts off in motion (in reverse) and high braking doesn't seem to stop it speeding in the siding. Slows and stops in due course but then throttle doesn't work (with train brake on 0%). Can't get engine brake off 20%, so that must be an issue. No academy teaching and I can't find anything online. Manuals only show the full controls - not the simplified newbie ones. I thought Quick Drive would help me learn the US locos but obviously you need to know before you start. Any assistance welcome. Thanks.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Quick drives don't normally start off moving - I suspect you have chosen a place on a gradient and the train is rolling backwards.

Try doing the QD but pick a different start location.

Peter

3. dksherman

dksherman New Member

Thanks. Tried a couple, to be honest. It's hard to work out what to do. NB/ tried the QD with a US loco on South West Trains line and it was better!! If there's no tuition available, I'll go with trial and error.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Although the locos are different driving with the Keyboard is very similar for most trains
    I use the F3 HUD so it shows me the upcoming Signals and Speed Changes

Peter

5. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Ok, the brakes don't work properly on the EMD GP-38. They are buggy and DTG know about and again do nothing about them. As you are new I would leave this route alone.