PC Info About Wagons And Coaches

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by montes_1234, May 7, 2020.

1. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

We need some detailed info about wagons and coaches. For example what is the weight of particular car, what is its length, which brakes it is equipped with, which is the top speed for safety, max number of passengers that can be on that car, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Who are "we" and why do "we" need this information? The only pertinent item in your list regards brake type and that only applies in a few routes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. montes_1234

That info would be normal to know, as also would be the info about every loco in the game. Would also be normal to know what the particular wagons are transporting, that also would add to the realism. Why that info would not be available as it is the case now? Is it better that we do not know what are we pulling?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. montes_1234

I am suggesting or proposing to enhance the game so that it become more immersive. This is the place for suggestions? Why are you angry or felt called out?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It IS available, mostly on wikipaedia

• Like Like x 2
  6. montes_1234

I would like to know if this would be the answer from DTG as well? :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I noticed this yesterday on the loading screen. I’ve not seen it before so guessing it’s new but have only seen it for GWE. I like the trump card format as it’s nice and simple to look at and contains key information such as length, weight, brake systems, power systems, safety systems, etc...
    394C8DA4-094F-4A05-9F11-D3B0CCE497CC.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. ARuscoe

Good luck with that. Haven't seen Matt on these boards in ages and Dmitri left this week. Maybe go on the twitch stream and suggest in the comments (there's a stream on right now I believe)

• Like Like x 1
  9. montes_1234

That is looking great. Maybe they implement it in the game that we could access all the info when we want. Than for the wagons and coaches that are already present in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  10. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Those loading screens aren't new. They only did them for Sand Patch, GWE and I believe Rapid Transit prior to the 182. They stopped making them unfortunately.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. montes_1234

It's shame than. But those in my understanding were just present as loading screens, so it would be nice to implement some kind of info cards for locos, wagons and coaches. Just let's hope that somebody even listens?

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm not "angry", just curious about your claim to speak for everyone by using what is sometimes called the "royal we" (and, yes, somewhat put off by it).
    Why not make the "cards" yourself? Someone mentioned that the information you seek is available from Wikipedia and a screenshot or an image from the appropriate user manual could provide a visual image. Some manuals also contain cab images, if the "card" is also to contain information about controls; interior screen shots could also be used.
    ...just some ideas ...

13. montes_1234

I want to suggest something that would in my opinion contribute to the overall quality of the product. I dont't want to argue with you if this is the thing. I appreciate your opinion but I think that you are arguing pointlessly because that for what you are arguing is already present in the game. So you are satisfied with searching on the internet for the info about trains, wagons and coaches or maybe that is not important to you. But in my opinion it would be nice to consider putting that info into the game itself.

14. montes_1234

Maybe someone can help about the rolling stock info. Where on the internet do you look for the info about wagons and coaches? Because I searched info, but can't find any or just basic info for example for PCA-V Cement Tank Wagon. So is there some place on the internet where can this information be obtained from?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

It's a lot more difficult than trains or MUs which are almost all on wikipedia, but if you search PCA wagon on google you get some responses which can be collated to give you relevant info

16. montes_1234

Thanks for the reply. I tried that method but with no success in finding any relevant info about that particular wagon. So I am currious if Dovetail games have some detailed info about wagons and for that particular one. Esspecially because they need that data to enter into the simulator for it to work as it should. So data for the weight, brake system, etc. It would be nice if they can provide this info to us in any form possible.

17. ARuscoe

You've just gone in a circle... DTG won't provide wagon specs.
    Some info is on the net but it's not collated so if you want it you will have to search for it I'm afraid

18. montes_1234

Ok thank you again for the reply. However I would like my question to stay so that if anyone from DTG read this thread write something. If not I would like to hear from someone from the community who knows some more about this to write something please.

19. ARuscoe

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. montes_1234

On that second link it is said that the wagons have top speed of 60 mph and that are air braked. But sir this is some serious job of digging the info. I am sure that DTG has to have this info, but maybe they forget to present it in the game. Or maybe they can't share that info. Or they are just lazy to write it down.

21. ARuscoe

Or maybe they're game designers rather than collators of information that maybe kind of relevant for them but packaging it and putting it out for very small benefit doesn't give cost/benefit for them?
    MattP (Senior Project guy for TSW) has said many times they focus on what benefits the most people most of the time (or at least try to) when it comes to in game assets, and tech info screens which most people possibly wish would "just go away and give me my game" probably aren't all that worth it to them

But you keep banging that drum. It's been known to fail several times in the past

22. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

There was a guy here doing math about weight and brake lengths, currently on mobile so please try the search, it wasn't long ago

Edit: I think it was VION - maybe he can provide you sources for weight

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

24. ARuscoe

Much harder than locos, but then locos are the prestige bits I guess

25. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

26. montes_1234

Thank you. Its a little bit strange that info is so hard to find. Does enyone know whats the maximum speed for British freight wagons in general? I found some info that the maximum speed for freight wagons in Germany is between 100-120 km/h. Train formations G, R, SSy, T with letter s can run up to 100 km/h, while GG, TT whith letter s can run up to 120 km/h.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  27. ARuscoe

Could be wrong but I think it's done by weight braking capability and priority
    so express freight is 70 and is usually lighter, well braked
    Standard freight is 60 (which seems to be the most common) and can be all sorts of things
    Really heavy or low priority freight seems to be more like 45

Looking at RTT the other day three freighters went past, two were 60 (6xxx headcodes) and the other was 45 (7xxx headcode)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. montes_1234

Thanks for the answer. So the maximum for the freight would be 70. Thats like in general is in Germany also I think.

29. steadfast

steadfast Member

All UK trains have a headcode, this starts with a number, 0-9, 1,2 and nowadays 9 being passenger, 3 and 5 test trains, weedkillers and empty passenger, it's 4,6,7,8 and 0 we're interested in here.
    4 = up to 75mph
    6 = up to 60mph
    8 = up to 35mph (usually only cripples these day)
    0 = light loco.
    The brake force of the train will determine how fast it can go. Basically, you don't want to be going faster than you can stop! Also, some stock is restricted to lower speeds due to its design.
    Majority of freight is class 6, though a lot of Mendip services are class 7 due to older wagons and container trains are class 4.
    If a wagon has a severe defect and becomes crippled, then the 35mph class 8 restriction becomes useful, usually to return the wagon to a point of maintenance after its been knocked out of a train further up the line.

Moving on, what DTG could do with adding to TSW is a train consist window. This tells you the loco number, all wagon numbers, quantity of wagons etc, but more importantly it tells you the train's overall weight, brake force etc so you know how to drive the train. In its simplest form, if you know from your trainlist document that you have 2000t on the drawbar, a max speed of 60 mph and 950 tons brake force then you know how it should handle. It would be a really useful thing to add in my opinion

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  30. montes_1234

Thank you very much for detailed explanation and also for great suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  31. ARuscoe

And 7 up to 45mph

• Like Like x 2
  32. montes_1234

It would be helpful that on the speedometer beside the info about current speed limit which relates to route we also have the speed limit indicator for our consist.

33. steadfast

steadfast Member

Indeed! Brain fart there missing that one out. Cheers!

34. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Most of the time the game already gives you that info though? Like in the freight services at Peninsula Corridor the service description tells you you are hauling limestone in the cars. Or in the Sand Patch Grade route you can clearly see if you're transporting coal in the hoppers, and obviously cars in the auto rack cars.

35. montes_1234

Yes thank you for the reply. The main thing is that the information is lacking. When we are in the preparation screen we don't know the details about wagons or coaches. Somethimes we are being told what type of cargo has being loaded. But again every other useful info is missing. The wagon lenght, tonnage, type, max. speed, etc.

36. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

I personally like these short ‘spec sheets’ on the locos... wish they had them for all of the locos in the sim.

37. montes_1234

Yes this are great, but again as I understood them where pulled away and are not present in the game at the moment. Also this were awailable only through loading screens. It would be nice to have that kind of cards for all the locos, wagons and coaches in the game.

38. Stockton Rails

...just adding these add’l sheets to your earlier post. I wonder how many more of these sheets there were in the sim, back when they were still doing these?

5CED9371-CCFD-45E0-A926-0766283638A7.jpeg DA84DB0B-A5F8-4FBF-926B-554BB242A891.jpeg 8D5FC62B-1238-4730-A222-C68A7CF03F1E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  39. Stockton Rails

I realize these pics are no longer in the sim of course... I just wish they did more of these- for every loco in the sim- instead of pulling them completely. These spec sheets could even come with each new route (for every loco type in the route), and be called up under a separate new button in the route home page (called Loco Info, Add’l Info, etc). I would definitely like to see something like that... I suspect other folks would too.

• Like Like x 1