Worth Checking Out: Dsd Beep Bug And Tweaks To The Ini?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by J van E, Sep 26, 2017.

1. J van E

J van E Member

After having some problems with various things I noticed that I only seem to get the DSD bug (where you get a beep beep beep at random times which you usually can't stop, even with DSD and AWS disabled) when I have tweaked the engine ini with this: r.ViewDistanceScale=10. I already read someone else couldn't finish a scenario with this tweak enabled. I also had problems with a scenario which I solved by removing all saved ini's and files and hence I also removed this tweak. Maybe that was what actually solved my problem?

Maybe someone who also had the DSD bug might check if he or she has r.ViewDistanceScale=10 in the ini and what happens if this tweak is removed?

BTW Are tweaks like this officially supported by Dovetail?

2. J van E

J van E Member

Just finished service 1A83 (HST) in which I had the DSD beep bug but this time, without the ini tweak, all went fine. No beep bug.

3. Flankhard

Flankhard New Member

I have random short beeps all the time all over the place and, for the first time, an unclearable beep (saved and reloaded to clear it) and I have never touched any of the ini files.

4. J van E

J van E Member

Ok, well, maybe then I am just lucky. ;) It seems there is no direct link between editing ini files and this beeping, at least not on everyone computer.

5. Big Panda

Big Panda New Member

Judging from posts on other boards this is a well known problem that began after the last update. Dovetail needs to address this ASAP as many people are affected

6. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Looking into this, cheers for reporting guys!

- Jay

7. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I am having random DSD on all locomotives. Recently I noticed that on the Class 66 it starts happening midway through any scenario

8. J van E

J van E Member

I am getting more and more reports about removing tweaks resulting in no DSD bug anymore. So it seems that there is a relation after all. On Steam a few people already posted that removing the tweak resulted in no more random alert. Some say using a number below 10 (for r.ViewDistanceScale) does the trick already but I myself stopped using those script tweaks altogether because on way or another they have a bad influence.

EDIT
    I desided to test the tweak below 10 and set r.ViewDistanceScale=8. Now I am almost sure this is a coincidende but within 2 minutes I got an Unreal Engine crash. So definitely no more tweaks for me until Dovetail solves (and supports) tweaks like these!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  9. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Just had the DSD beep bug occur to me; the variation where you can't get rid of it.

I was playing the Christmas Closures scenario and had just switched cabs in the HST when it happened. I'm wondering now if the beeping I was hearing was coming from the other cab. When I was travelling to Ealing Broadway in that cab I had taken isolation off the DSD and AWS. When I was switching cabs in the yards I forget to isolate them again; so it's possible I'm hearing the alarm in that cab and that's why it can't be cleared.

10. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Is a shame because running the view distance at 30 made so much difference in quality..

• Like Like x 2
  11. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

The only tweaks I am using are for the sound. And they do help.

12. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Oh wow the tweak does make a big difference, no more ties popping in up close, but the DSD bug doesn't feel worth it for now. DTG acts like increasing the draw distance of the ties would kill FPS...and it doesn't, unless I set the draw distance very large. Not sure why they are so reluctant to make this standard. (Can you not add LODs to the ties? Come on.)

13. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

DTG-Jay removing the view distance tweak has solved the DSD issue for me so far in the last few runs that I have made. This is odd as some people without the tweaks have reported the DSD issue.

14. J van E

J van E Member

It is odd indeed but I am happy more and more people are acknowledging the link between the tweak and the bug because then DTG knows where to look for a solution. That distance tweak is a great tweak and I would love to use it but not as long as it causes problems.

And I also wonder why a distance setting of something like 10 isn't made default because it indeed doesn't hurt performance but makes things look a LOT better. So maybe the easiest solution here is to set the default distance value higher so we don't have to use the tweak and we don't have the related bugs anymore.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  15. Mackintosh

Mackintosh Member

I'm getting the DSD bug without any tweaks, on a completely vanilla install. Needless to say, it's rather annoying, especially on headphones.

• Like Like x 1
  16. J van E

J van E Member

Odd... This might be a stupid idea but what happens if you delete the engine.ini and let the game create a new one? Or: what happens if you add the tweak, run the game, delete the tweak and play the game again?

17. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

If you delete the tweak and play is becomes as delivered. You are back to square one. You could always try to delete the engine.ini, just save a copy of the engine.ini just in case. I think that it would rebuild on game start up and would not require a re installation.

18. J van E

J van E Member

I know. But it is odd that those who did use the tweak and removed it don't have the bug anymore. So hence the even more odd idea that those who have the bug without ever using the tweak might want to use the tweak and then remove it. Maybe somehow somewhere this does something to the game. It is an odd idea and a far shot but you never know. ;) Maybe somehow how you are NOT back to square one after using the tweak and removing it.

19. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Interesting hypothesis.

20. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

For me the beeping somehow has stopped, i didnt changed anything and my tweaks are still in the .ini, very strange.

21. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Did DTG give us a double secret update to mess with us? Or is Jay sneaking into our houses at night and fixing these things. Cookies (biscuits) and milk on the counter tonight Jay.

22. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Back today on only 1 run Class 66 after exiting train. Beeping in the Redding terminal as I walked away.

23. jumpjet

jumpjet Active Member

I think I may have found your problem ........ ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  24. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

Good one.

25. J van E

J van E Member

LOL

• Like Like x 1
  26. scaniamad87

scaniamad87 New Member

I'm also having the same issue with the beeping. After i finished a service and switched to the other cab and do the set up for departure and as soon as I leave the station the beeping starts and kills my speed completely even in full throttle? Once stoped I reset the cab again the beeping stopped and once I move off the beeping goes off again and it's not AWS or DSD (wat ever ye call it?). But the service I started with was running brilliantly until I waited for next service to start? The only thing I could do was quit to main menu and select another service?

• Like Like x 1