Ai Trains Are Too Detailed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MarkusLiberty, Oct 1, 2017.

1. MarkusLiberty

MarkusLiberty Active Member

I know, how can you possibly complain about detailed AI models?

Well, after doing a bit of testing and tweaking, it seems like the main reason for FPS drops in Train Sim World is due to nearby AI Trains. This is especially noticeable around major hubs, like London and Reading, though also quite noticeable when passing by a train on route.

I currently drop from 60fps to around 30fps when approaching Reading/London, depending on how many trains are stationed there. And about 10-5pfs when passing buy a high speed train on route.

It would be fantastic if we had the ability to adjust the level of detail on AI trains, I don't particularly need to see the interior of the trains, for instance. It's hardly noticeable when passing by at high speed anyway. The models and textures doesn't need to be anywhere near as detailed as the player controlled train either.

Anyway, that's my suggestion, thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 2
  2. MikeLi

MikeLi New Member

Well the problem here is that all of the AI trains can be player trains as well. At least in Service mode. So it would probably be hard to make the trains less detailed because of that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

I have no fps drops when passing trains or at main hubs.. i have a fps between 30 and 40 fps. Very few times i go down to 25 but not when passing other trains.

• Like Like x 3
  4. 1999Werdna

1999Werdna Member

I don't agree with this at all, because if implemented the game would have to spawn different models of AI: 1. When you're in the cab 2. When you're outside the train. Why? Because in service mode you want the AI models to be detailed when you're getting onto another train to ride it, or if you're just train spotting. So no; I don't think this is a good idea...

• Like Like x 1
  5. J van E

J van E Member

I love the idea that I can jump in any train I see and drive it. I also love how detailed they all look. The idea of not seeing the interior of a train that is passing me is a total immersion killer. And besides all that, I also don't notice a fps drop nearby other trains. In short: a lot of things needs fixing but this isn't one of them. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

I don't think reducing the quality of the graphics is the answer, the aim of the programmers should be to improve the simulator in all respects.

• Like Like x 4
  7. MarkusLiberty

MarkusLiberty Active Member

Improving performance is a way improving the simulator though. And as I suggested, this would be similar to the other graphics settings available in the game, like foliage quality.

Surely more graphic control on the users end is a good thing?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Well, if you propose options, don't call your thread "AI trains are too detailed" that sounds like a complaint or bug report, not a feature suggestion. (Perhaps "detail settings for AI trains" would promote more of a feature discussion.) I think people may have gotten caught up on the presentation, as more options (if executed correctly) are not a bad idea, but the way you present it does not promote happy discussion. (AI trains being "too detailed" is relative, and clearly, not everyone thinks they are too detailed.)

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MrKicker

MrKicker New Member

Perhaps trains could have a lower detail model (without interior and small details) that could be used when said details are not necessary. When viewing the train from a distance, or when speeding past it on the track the low detail model could be used, and when in the train, or when nearby the train the normal model could be used.

This practice of changing LOD (level of detail) to fit the situation is a common practice in games, and I believe its already implemented in the scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

It isn't implemented particularly well though, you can watch all the trees 'popping in' as you're travelling the route. Needs work before being applied to AI trains.

• Like Like x 1